The Future of Rising World

• Thanks! :)

Will you give us some treats during the waiting time? Like a diary or similar? I would like to hear some updates about the progress, planned features, etc. in regular intervalls. Maybe not daily or weekly but bi-weekly or at least monthly would be great.

That's definitely planned ;) We're still thinking about something like a blog. Apart from that, we'll at least post some announcements about the current state from time to time (maybe every month), although it may take a few weeks until the first announcement is available, since we're currently spending a lot of time with some core mechanics, mainly the world generation (and until it's done, there isn't really much to show)^^

But if you need support @red51 especially for the time till the release and the fact that the visibillity of RW is lower. I wouldn't hesitate to open my paypal wallet even if i already own the game.

Thanks a lot for your support! :) We were thinking about something like Patreon, but I'm really not sure about that. It doesn't feel right to ask people for money if they've already paid for the game :saint: For the time being, we're trying to run more sales on Steam, since there are still many people who have wishlisted the game (even though the wishlist is shrinking since October, but

I would hope that we are still able to build with fine details and set the exact sizes of pieces, use blocks, etc.

This will definitely still be possible :thumbup: While we want to tweak the building system (being able to resize blocks, better snapping of elements, UI for the precision parameters etc) and fix some of its current issues (e.g. problems with the modular snapping), we are not going to restrict it in any way. So yes, you will still be able to set exact sizes for every element.

That rough looking fence worries me if all the planks and beams will be rough hewn like that

Oh, the "clean" or "even" planks and beams (like the current ones) will still be available ;) The crude planks on the screenshots will just be part of the early game content (so when starting a new game in survival, you only have access to crude planks & beams, until you're able to craft a modern workbench/sawbench)

• @samlander: Thanks for offering your help :) We try to get the first playable version ready ASAP, then it will be available as beta branch in Steam (and of course it's always helpful if people check it out, in order to give feedback and report bugs) ;)

• It's definitely getting easier when it comes to importing/exporting models, especially when it comes to FBX models. Being able to replace player or npcs characters was originally planned for the API anyway, but since it required a lot of changes "under the hood", we will keep this in mind now when migrating to the new engine Can't say much about MMD files unfortunately, AFAIK Unity does not support this format, but it should be easy to convert these models to FBX (and Unity has great support for FBX).

Alright, I see what you're seeing. Had to ask my buddy, Kobi about this and it makes sense because he does all the nitty-gritty stuff using Unity & Blender. Yeah, it is indeed .FBX. We would convert .pmx into .FBX and .obj (maybe). If it ends up working, then awesome.

Also, I ended up getting highly hyped up becauese Tower Unite makes it insanely easy to swap your avatar with a breeze (similar to VRchat). The fun thing is, as noted in my other threads (wishlist), is how you can purchase NPC templates to then give them a model to appear as. They would appear as any anime, game character, or cartoon (& etc) while being tied to default animations. If Rising World can do this then you'd have one of the best games out there. If you can support this then it be one of the best sandboxy games out there.

Just place an NPC template down in Rising World, open up a menu, read from a folder on your computer, have it read a .fbx (or .obj) file, then have them be that 'character'. Tower Unite also does similar with objects, something we can do with your example plugin. For Unity Rising World though, it should be "interesting". I would have to learn how RW Unity would behave.

Whenever you have time try to check out the D.I.Y store in Tower Unite, purchase an NPC, and get it to apply any model. You'll then probably see where I"m going with this for Rising World. People been trying to do this for Skyrim by doing "likeness" when you can just simply use an NPC template instead. Major game changer.

Yes, we're writing a completely new world generation algorithm. This affects biomes, mountains and caves. We will no longer see the unrealistic, steep mountain spikes in the new version

Excellent. I can't wait to see your new mountains. You're having me curious about caves also.. Are you able to tease any ocean screens, or is that "too soon"? I can wait. Just curious.

Oh yes, VR is definitely much easier to implement with Unity. While it's still a low priority (our main focus is to get the new version ready as soon as possible), it's something that's on our todo-list (at least as a beta branch in Steam or something like that)

Excellent. No worries on the 'Low priority' part. Just as long as it's plausible I'm happy because people (gamers & devs) have experience there. Should make it easier for you when you eventually do tackle it :D

Thanks Red51! Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

---------------------

samlander: Thanks for offering your help We try to get the first playable version ready ASAP, then it will be available as beta branch in Steam (and of course it's always helpful if people check it out, in order to give feedback and report bugs)

When a stable version does appear I'll try my best to stream it. I do hope it's not as stuttery as every other game I try nowdays hoping that I can chill-play it. I'll try to help you out Twitch side because people were curious about your game when I streamed it. :saint:

If it has trains during the playable release then it may actually 'bait' people into playing it heh. Actual islands in oceans with proper boats, and etc. Wish you the best on the transition.

• When i first saw the headline I almost started to panic " please don't tell me its not going to be updated anymore" and then i read that its being updated to the unity engine, thank god for that and then all these questions came rushing to me head ( all of which seemed to be answered here ) the only thing I would NOT like to see at all is modular building, the beauty of RW is the freedom of the way will get to build anything. Im guessing that all our old worlds including server's will not be compatible? not that I mind.
    Relay looking forward to the future of Rising World

• Groovaholic, red51 has answered this before. Of course rw won't be abandoned :)

He also confirmed the detailed building will be included in the new version.

Old worlds can be played via the current Java version but won't be compatible with the new unity version.

Thus is mostly not because of the engine switch but because red will give us a world generation update. Something which would have happened on Java as well, sooner or later

• Will it be possible to change the landscape (dig, lay water, dub)? If not, then this is not Rising World, but a completely different game.
    OPEN WORLD, UNLIMITED? this makes Rising World a special game.

Wird es möglich sein, die Landschaft zu verändern (graben, Wasser legen, überspielen)? Wenn nicht, dann ist dies nicht Rising World, sondern ein ganz anderes Spiel.

OFFENE WELT, UNBEGRENZT? Dies macht Rising World zu einem besonderen Spiel.

• Also, I ended up getting highly hyped up becauese Tower Unite makes it insanely easy to swap your avatar with a breeze (similar to VRchat).

Well, but I have to say that this will not be just a "regular feature" like posters (so people can swap the npcs and players at any time), probably it will be more or less a modding feature (just like adding custom items). More precisely, something that can only be done by the server admin (in multiplayer) ;)

Just place an NPC template down in Rising World, open up a menu, read from a folder on your computer, have it read a .fbx (or .obj) file, then have them be that 'character'

But as mentioned above, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea if every player could just swap his character at any time. It might fit well in games like Tower Unite or VRchat, but in Rising World, it could be confusing if one player uses the default character, another player wants to spawn as a goat, and the third player prefers to be a giant tube of toothpaste :D

Are you able to tease any ocean screens, or is that "too soon"? I can wait. Just curious.

Unfortunately we have no screenshots about that yet, but we'll probably take the "ocean/island" approach we've mentioned some time ago (you probably remember about that discussion a long time ago^^). I.e. the whole world will be covered by water, and there are just several islands (although I'm talking about very big islands here). This way we will have one gigantic ocean, and having boats or other vessels finally makes much more sense.

I do hope it's not as stuttery as every other game I try nowdays hoping that I can chill-play it

We will still optimize the first playable version, although you have to keep in mind that it will be more or less just a "tech demo".

Im guessing that all our old worlds including server's will not be compatible?

Yes, unfortunately old worlds will no longer be compatible. But blueprints will still be compatible, so you can at least use your old blueprints in the new version ;)

Will it be possible to change the landscape (dig, lay water, dub)? If not, then this is not Rising World, but a completely different game.

Oh yes, this will still be possible of course :)

• Well, but I have to say that this will not be just a "regular feature" like posters (so people can swap the npcs and players at any time), probably it will be more or less a modding feature (just like adding custom items). More precisely, something that can only be done by the server admin (in multiplayer)

But as mentioned above, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea if every player could just swap his character at any time. It might fit well in games like Tower Unite or VRchat, but in Rising World, it could be confusing if one player uses the default character, another player wants to spawn as a goat, and the third player prefers to be a giant tube of toothpaste

I guess I still accidentally over-reached with my questions. But yeah, if for the player side it probably wouldn't make sense so I agree with you there. If it's for the NPC side of things that would be awesome. I'm mainly suggesting it for NPCs while accidentally over-reaching.

Spawn as a goat, yeah.... It be silly, but could work as a mini-game. Try and survive as a goat, or some animal. If you could play as a crow you could build simple little shelters using the PNB system :P But that's just a joke. It's up to you if you want to go that joking route.

Unfortunately we have no screenshots about that yet, but we'll probably take the "ocean/island" approach we've mentioned some time ago (you probably remember about that discussion a long time ago^^). I.e. the whole world will be covered by water, and there are just several islands (although I'm talking about very big islands here). This way we will have one gigantic ocean, and having boats or other vessels finally makes much more sense.

Awesome. Shall be nice for when that happens, especially with the vegatation we've seen in the screenshots. The boulders, the mushrooms..... Take your time, though when that happens, and becomes playable, I'd be playing that heavily again. :thumbup: I'd be sailing around as I had in Wurm Unlimited & Ylands. Even Minecraft with the recent updates.

I'm holding back some of my excitement so I don't over-reach again but love what you're noting about the 'one world ocean'. Yeah, would love to see boats make more sense + cargo boats. Minecraft is frustrating the hell out of me because of Mojang's tardiness.

We will still optimize the first playable version, although you have to keep in mind that it will be more or less just a "tech demo".

No worries. It comes with the territory heh. Yeah, I'm lagging in almost every game I play so I need to clean my disk space on my external & main drive. Too many VR games I can't play during the summer, and etc. Everything is just bloated so this Rising World move for 1 year gives me one year to get my computer troubles in order. Good luck! Can't wait to play the unity version when it's ready and to stream it to show to others.

If it's smooth on my end when you release it, awesome.

• Hi ! long time I'm not posting in this forum, but keep involved in RW (the game I spent the most time in). A new engine is such a big move, and I can't wait to see what you can do with unity :) For me, RW needs two things : better world generation and complex cooking concept (for taking advantages of ressources and help endgame job (bonus with more complex recipes)). So It's very good news because you seem to focus on world generation with this update).

I'm also onboard with a blog with news every X time (like rust but not so deep, you are a smaller team), it would help to keep community hyped.

Thanks for the news !

• Thanks for your feedback! :)

I have a question, the plans where part of the functional terrain is included in the new version.
    I ask it because my world is flat and I am generating the terrain

What do you mean exactly with the terrain?

Yeah, would love to see boats make more sense + cargo boats

Oh yes, with the ocean oriented approach we definitely need a way to store things on boats. Especially bigger ships would be quite useless if there isn't a proper storage on them ^^

So It's very good news because you seem to focus on world generation with this update

Yes, currently we're indeed focusing on the world generation ;) Can't say much about cooking yet unfortunately, but it's still on our list. As soon as the new version has caught up with the old one in terms of content and features, adding new stuff will be easier and faster.

- Flowing water please!

Unfortunately I can't say much about that yet, but we're trying to get rid of the static water ASAP :)

• You know after reading all the posts on here it got me to thinking about the Nintendo Wii. Rising World already is a first person perspective kind of game and I know that will change in time but could you imagine riding a horse or fighting a bunch of bandits with a wii remote? The game started out on Unity as "Concept" and was later named Rising World when it left beta sometime after we made the switch over to Java which kind of confused me. Playing around with Unity and some meshes that I downloaded I had hopes of bringing random boulders, sticks & stones then a lot more as an overhaul mod. My wish came true @red51 you amaze me! Those screenshots are stunning I thought for sure you were going to use the Unreal Engine or something else, but going back to Unity my hats off to you pal. With the new biome generation, forest revamped and all the detail it's almost like a remaster. "Rising World: Remastered Edition" :thumbsup: I can't explain in words how much I love this game but it's became a core part of my YouTube channel for a while now, so much so that it ain't going anywhere any time soon. Looking forward to some more screenshots they look stunning and could make a CPU cry with joy. :saint:<3

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!