The Future of Rising World

• Question not necessarily aimed at Red:

I havent been keeping up with the under the hood stuff but I recall reading RW was voxel based. Regarding Red`s comment that new block shapes were coming, Has the voxel area limitation ever been overcome?

Explanation...Each voxel has an area. The visible shape of the voxel can be changed but the area used is still there, just some of it is now invisible. This means/meant that you couldnt place another voxel within that invisible space. IE: cant join two shapes as one.

Was that issue ever worked out?

• I don’t think that’s ever been worked out. Empyrion and Medieval Engineers as well as 7days still have that issue. I’m not sure if that can be overcome and am also not sure if it’s due the the voxel programming, the engine, something else, or all of the above. Since I spend more time building now in many games I hope there is a resolution in the future.

One other thing is water that would be fully functional but as I understand things you’d need a nasa quality computer to process the game smoothly. Can’t imagine how that would translate when trying to build and have it look or function correctly.

• I havent been keeping up with the under the hood stuff but I recall reading RW was voxel based. Regarding Red`s comment that new block shapes were coming, Has the voxel area limitation ever been overcome?

Yes, RW is indeed voxel based. At least the terrain (and blocks) are stored in a voxel data grid. This limitation has a quite simple reason: Imagine you have a grid, and every cell represents a position in your world. Now when placing a block somewhere, the block id (every block type has a unique id) is written into the according cell in the data grid - but this cell can only hold a single value. Now if you want to place a ramp and cylinder at the same location, that wouldn't work, since the according grid cell can either hold the cylinder id, or the ramp id.

This isn't really an engine limitation. There would be a workaround for that, e.g. allowing multiple values per cell, but this means you have to be prepared for multiple values per grid cell (resulting in higher memory consumption and less performance - so most games just "live" with the limitation).

Nevertheless, we will remove this limitation with the next update, at least when it comes to blocks. It's our intention to treat blocks as construction elements (e.g. similar to planks and beams), which aren't stored in a voxel data grid (instead a list of all planks in a chunk with their according position, size and rotation is maintained), so you can basically place as many elements as you want at the same position ;)

One other thing is water that would be fully functional but as I understand things you’d need a nasa quality computer to process the game smoothly. Can’t imagine how that would translate when trying to build and have it look or function correctly.

Dynamic water is planned, but it will have some limitations. It cannot take planks and beams into consideration, since they can be fully resized or rotated, so it will only adapt to terrain and blocks

• One thing I would like to ask about is concerning the bandits. I've noticed you can change their biological gender using "editnpc" command and also when spawning in bandits they come in different 5 different varieties. In this new version could you please consider adding different biological genders to a naturally spawned group of bandits? (Male & Female) Please? In addition to this they seem to all be wearing warm suits with hoods can this be changed somehow so if you use the command "givenpc item [id]" they would wear it or at least remove their hood? Thank you, looking forward to the future of Rising World <3

Edit: What I mean by all of this is I would like to see both male & female bandits spawn in together and the ability for some of them to wear different armor rather than just a warm suit. Would love to see their heads with hair and maybe some tattoos?

• Thats...awesome, and opens up a great deal of creative possibility!

Thats...awesome, and opens up a great deal of creative possibility!

although this does open up a lot of possibilities it also causes a problem. Some of my builds are too large for one bp so I have had to use up to 8 bp to cover the whole build. It has been easy to reassemble the building because the blocks have been fixed to the grid. If blocks are able to be placed in any location as are beams it will be much harder to reassemble the buildings.

One solution may be giving us a choice if we want to place a bp on or off the grid.

• although this does open up a lot of possibilities it also causes a problem. Some of my builds are too large for one bp so I have had to use up to 8 bp to cover the whole build. It has been easy to reassemble the building because the blocks have been fixed to the grid. If blocks are able to be placed in any location as are beams it will be much harder to reassemble the buildings.

One solution may be giving us a choice if we want to place a bp on or off the grid.

I believe blueprints will not be restricted to size, but to the content of materials (i.e. positionss and material types,etc.), and I guess it could even be possible to "align" blueprints much like how many vector image editors allow grid and image alignments. Another solution could be to automatically generate multiple blueprints for one build, and let the game reconstruct them automatically.

• I don't really understand, though I support your decisions @red51
    Does this mean that once the changes happen, we will no longer find Rising World on our list of Steam games, and can no longer login from Steam?
    I know the question probably seems ridiculously simple, but I know nothing about this sort of thing. I just love the game and plan to keep playing it!

One other thing I'm concerned about: we have plans to open a Rising World server in 2020 (after we all learn the game a bit better), and would have it hosted through Pingperfect. If we have a server before the changes, would we then lose it from Pingperfect? Would Pingperfect need to make changes to keep offering Rising World and/or our existing server?

Thanks for your patience with my questions!

• will there be an increase in number of textures and colors? Or just reworking old ones?

I don't think there will be more textures, since there are already more than 200 block textures =O However, being able to change the color of blocks (i.e. paint the blocks) is a planned feature for the new version :)

In this new version could you please consider adding different biological genders to a naturally spawned group of bandits?

Originally female bandits were planned for the last update, but we removed them since we had trouble with their voices^^ Can't say much about female bandits in the new version unfortunately...

In addition to this they seem to all be wearing warm suits with hoods can this be changed somehow so if you use the command "givenpc item [id]" they would wear it or at least remove their hood?

Unfortunately the hood is part of their outfit, but you can change their clothes and remove their suit (with the hood) with the editnpcclothes command :)

Would love to see their heads with hair and maybe some tattoos?

Tattoos for bandits sound like a good idea, I will keep that in mind!

although this does open up a lot of possibilities it also causes a problem. Some of my builds are too large for one bp so I have had to use up to 8 bp to cover the whole build. It has been easy to reassemble the building because the blocks have been fixed to the grid. If blocks are able to be placed in any location as are beams it will be much harder to reassemble the buildings. One solution may be giving us a choice if we want to place a bp on or off the grid.

With the new version, you will get a little bit more control over the blueprint placement, so it will be possible to turn the grid on/off and change the grid size :)

Does this mean that once the changes happen, we will no longer find Rising World on our list of Steam games, and can no longer login from Steam?

Oh, no, of course you can still play RW in Steam :) It just means once the new version is ready, it replaces the current version in Steam, so if you start the game then, you will automatically start the new version. However, the old version is still accessible then (for free), it just requires a few extra clicks in Steam ;)

One other thing I'm concerned about: we have plans to open a Rising World server in 2020 (after we all learn the game a bit better), and would have it hosted through Pingperfect. If we have a server before the changes, would we then lose it from Pingperfect? Would Pingperfect need to make changes to keep offering Rising World and/or our existing server?

Server hosters have to implement some changes once the new version is ready, but we will provide enough information about that in time. It really depends on the particular hoster in this case. There are some hosters out there who really care and make sure that their servers run properly, others don't care at all. I don't know what the future holds ^^ Basically I'd say that you can still rent a server. Once the new version is ready (which will still take up to 1 year from now on) you will see if your hoster updates his server or not. If the hoster does not update your server then, you should contact him, and if he still does not respond, just cancel the server.

• I can’t wait untill Rising World graphics become much more realistic!!

But what about proccessing power?
    Will there be a MUCH bigger demand for proccesing power with the new graphics or just a small increase in demand?

• I've been through the entire command list you provided on Steam and this is a definitely a new one.

Oh, I just realized this command is missing from the command guide on Steam =O Thanks for letting me know!

Will there be an update soon? Or wait for a new version (from 6 months... )

Do you refer to the Java version, or the new version? We're currently preparing an update for the Java version, although it will mainly focus on bugfixes and smaller changes. Unfortunately I have no ETA for that yet.
    We have no ETA for the new version either, but we're trying to get a first playable demo ready this year ;)

How is it working ?

There are basically two ways of using this command. You can either use it to replace the current clothes of the npc, or use it to add new clothes to him. This command only works for dummy npcs and skeletons.
    For example, if you want an npc to wear a full suit, just look at it and type editnpcclothes tux_jacket tux_pants tux_shoes. If you want to add some fancy sunglasses, just use the "add" keyword, i.e. editnpcclothes add sunglasses1. If you want the npc just to wear boxers (regardless of his current outfit), just type editnpcclothes boxershorts.

If you want to get all names of the ingame clothes, you can check out this guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sha…iledetails/?id=1711772125

But what about proccessing power?
    Will there be a MUCH bigger demand for proccesing power with the new graphics or just a small increase in demand?

It's difficult to give precise information about this, I really can't say much about that yet. Better graphics will result in higher system requirements, especially if you want to use the new effects. However, if your computer meets the current system requirements of the game and if you can play the game now, you will also be able to play the new version ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!