Status Update: Terrain generation

A big new update is now available, introducing biomes, caves and much more!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.0.3 (2024-02-21)
  • Hi folks! Today we want to give you a status update of the ongoing changes (if you aren't aware of our plans to move to a new engine, please check out our previous announcement).

Brief summary

We've finalized the terrain generation (see some first screenshots below) and also implemented a few other interesting features. For example, the new version will be able to handle larger view distances and much higher mountains. In addition to that, we've added full gamepad support, we created a new UI from scratch (supporting various resolutions and aspect ratios), and also implemented a fast, UDP-based network system.
    Btw, there is also a new update for the Java version available, you can find the changelog in our forums ;)

Long version

We've made a lot of progress in the past months, but of course there is still a lot of work to do. One of the biggest (and most time-consuming) features we're currently working on is the new world generation. When it comes to this feature, we have two main priorities: On the one hand, we want to create more interesting and appealing landscapes, and on the other hand, it's our intention to enable larger view distances (without killing the performance). In fact we've made some great progress in this regard and will be able to handle larger view distances as well as higher mountains. We can't give exact numbers yet (because we haven't implemented all world features yet), but our first results look very promising!

Here are some first screenshots of the new terrain generation. Please keep in mind that they use mostly placeholder-textures (and we don't have any vegetation or fancy shader effects yet), but they should give you a rough idea of the new terrain:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

In addition to that, we've implemented a native bridge that allows us to write performance-critical code in C++. This made our terrain generation, for example, a lot faster compared to regular C#!
    C++ also gives us more control over memory (no garbage collector involved) and allows us to use CPU features like SIMD.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Summary of the most important features

Here is a small overview of the most important features we've implemented so far:

• New terrain generation: The new version features more appealing and realistic landscapes compared to the old version. It also enables much greater view distances and higher mountains (this also means you can create higher buildings accordingly).
    • Better player physics: We tried to create a player controller similar to the current one (in the Java version), but we made some improvements. On the one hand, there is no more "jitter" when standing on slopes, on the other hand, the character is no longer able to walk up steep inclines like a mountain goat. However, we found out that we definitely need some climbing gear now ^^
    • New UI: We're creating a new UI from scratch. We understand and agree that the old "wood" design wasn't really appealing, so we're focusing on a flat, modern design now. The new UI scales properly depending on the screen resolution and aspect ratio (so far we support 16:9, 21:9 and 32:9)
    • Gamepad support: We've implemented full support for Xbox360/One, PS4 and common XInput controllers. You can use your mouse/keyboard and gamepad simultaneously, but if desired, the game is also fully playable without a keyboard
    • UDP based networking: The new version will use "connection-less", UDP based networking. This should result in better performance compared to TCP, but most and foremost, this should help us to get rid of connection resets and other losses of connections
    • C++ integration: Not necessarily a "feature", but we've implemented a bridge between C# and C++ - this allows us to write performance-critical code in C++, resulting in less overhead and better performance
    • Localization: While we still don't have support for any other languages yet, we have at least support for chinese and cyrillic characters. The language files are easily accessible and modifiable, so community translations can be incorporated conveniently

There are of course many other things we've implemented so far. If you want to get a better overview of these features and if you also want to find out what we're currently working on, feel free to check out our development roadmap on Trello: https://trello.com/b/t5Leypcj/rising-world-development

We're still finalizing the world generation, but soon we will start working on more features which provide more "visual feedback" - e.g. animations, objects, vegetation etc. This enables us to share many more screenshots and videos at shorter intervals.

There is also a new update for the Java version available by the way :!: Here you can find the full changelog:

• Loving both terrains. Awesome work. The desert finally looks like a proper desert from a different region, yet loving it. I can't wait to play this, granted its not finished yet. Looking promising. Also, I prefer these mountains that I would love to explore on these mountains. The mountains we still have in Java still gave off cool vibes, these ones shall be more interesting now. Can't wait to see the POV different and vibe difference. Both are still valid, yet loving these new mountains. Even the deserty ones in Unity.

As for the Java:
    [New] Triangular wooden plank is now craftable at the sawbench
    [New] Added 2 new music tracks
    [Change] Skeletons die automatically after ~30 hours (making room for new skeletons to spawn)

Cool stuff :D
    Thanks for the triangular wooden planks. We have 2 new music tracks to listen to eh? Nice. And cool on the skeleton part. Would make me want to go skeleton hunting more often now.

------------------

NPCS in Unity

When it comes to NPCs in Unity can you please shift it more into a book so each page contains customization options? Similar to the example plugin for who logs in can we have a holdable book with options for NPC appearances, name, & etc? That would be far handier and easier. Even more user friendly than using commands. I hope you can look into that, and hope its doable.

If not a book, then something similar to that. Some sort of admin item you could spawn in to help you create NPCs similar to Minecraft's creative mode item list, but for NPCs with how window pop-ups work. Or even how we get the menu for PNB from that PNB plugin.

-----------

Cool stuff. Thanks for the double updates :thumbsup:

• Thank you so much for your feedback! :)

When it comes to NPCs in Unity can you please shift it more into a book so each page contains customization options?

Oh, this sounds like an interesting feature. Do you refer to the "editnpc" command, or rather to npc spawning (or generally all npc-related commands)? So if I get this right, you want to be able to spawn npcs and set up their appearance/clothes/name etc without having to use any console commands? Actually something like that was originally planned for the creative mode, and I think it would fit perfectly there ;)

• Thank you so much for your feedback! :)

Oh, this sounds like an interesting feature. Do you refer to the "editnpc" command, or rather to npc spawning (or generally all npc-related commands)? So if I get this right, you want to be able to spawn npcs and set up their appearance/clothes/name etc without having to use any console commands? Actually something like that was originally planned for the creative mode, and I think it would fit perfectly there ;)

Exactly. It would be easier to use when its in some object instead of having to remember all the commands. It would look nicer, handle in a more user-friendly manner.... Easier to access, & etc. :thumbsup:

• [New] Command "id" now also works for plants (i.e. you can change the currently selected plant type this way)

Hi, sorry to be so null, but I tried and tried, never succeed, the ID command just told to me the name of the plant (for ex I had the first flower in hand (id 2), the console just gave me the name of the plant)

• Thanks for your feedback :thumbup:

Exactly. It would be easier to use when its in some object instead of having to remember all the commands. It would look nicer, handle in a more user-friendly manner.... Easier to access, & etc.

I'll put that on our list :)

Are there any close-up shots of the terrain?

Well, unfortunately the current textures are too ugly for any close-up screenshots :D The textures do not represent the final result in the slightest... and since grass is also missing currently, those screenshots would leave a wrong impression :whistling:

Hi, sorry to be so null, but I tried and tried, never succeed, the ID command just told to me the name of the plant (for ex I had the first flower in hand (id 2), the console just gave me the name of the plant)

Hmm... when holding a plant in your hand, you should be able to type id <id> into console (replace <id> with the actual name of the plant). For example, if you hold a flower in your hand and type id cactus1, the flower-preview in front of you should turn into a cactus.

If you're playing in multiplayer, you need the creative mode permission as well as permission for the creative placement tools btw ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!