Status Update: Terrain generation

• New UI: We're creating a new UI from scratch. We understand and agree that the old "wood" design wasn't really appealing, so we're focusing on a flat, modern design now. The new UI scales properly depending on the screen resolution and aspect ratio (so far we support 16:9, 21:9 and 32:9)

Hi @red51

Just an idea ( you may already be doing this though ) if you are creating a flat modern design it may be a good idea to allow server owners to set the colours when the server is setup. Something in the configuration file like:

UI_Primary_Colour: #000000
    UI_Secondary_Colour: #c0c0c0
    UI_H1: #ffffff
    UI_H2: #ffffff
    UI_H3: #ffffff
    UI_p: #fff200 ( why you would want yellow font I do not know 8o )

etc.

It would mean the "look and feel" of the servers UI would reflect the servers setup (modern, sci-fi, futuristic, medieval ;) )

• It looks amazing! Will there be a way to keep our current version & get the new one? Even if it means buying a new copy?

Hi Mandy just to answer your question:

If you already own the game there is of course no need to buy it again.

You can still play your old worlds with the Java version but this version may only get limited support in future updates.

Rising world will have have two exe's the current Java version and the new Unity version which will have a separate beta branch in Steam.

I'm sure this is correct but Red51 will confirm this Im sure.

• It looks amazing! Will there be a way to keep our current version & get the new one? Even if it means buying a new copy?

As @Groovaholic mentioned, there is indeed no need to buy the new version again. The new version will just replace the current Java version. However, the Java version will still be available as a beta branch in Steam (in other words, you can just "enable" it in the Rising World properties). When the new version is ready, we will explain how to keep both the Java and new versions :)

So any word on if the blueprints will be able to transfer over?

We have no updates on this, but blueprints will still work in the new version ;)

You said we will need climbing gear, will climbing gear be able use on someones walls to get over?

Yes, if there is some sort of climbing gear, one could also use it to climb over someones wall. If this is an issue, server admins could either disable climbing gear on their server, and maybe we can also add some barbed wire^^

Just an idea ( you may already be doing this though ) if you are creating a flat modern design it may be a good idea to allow server owners to set the colours when the server is setup. Something in the configuration file like:

That's a great idea, we will keep that in mind :thumbup:

What is this? I still get the red "smaller or greater size is only allowed in creative mode" message.

Sorry for the confusion! We just removed the "lower bound", so now you can use the size command to get very small construction elements (e.g. 0.01). If you want to get very big construction elements, you still have to be in creative mode.

• Yes, if there is some sort of climbing gear, one could also use it to climb over someones wall. If this is an issue, server admins could either disable climbing gear on their server, and maybe we can also add some barbed wire^^

I'm amused by this because we could also go the Conan Exiles route for this. Scale your own structure's walls until your stamina runs out. I'm amused by this also because you could build a fort wall causing bandits to keep getting caught up on barbed wire, or simply adding a slipper 'lip' on to structures so player, nor AI, can venture into your settlements.

I'd be all for whatever is added.

• @red51 Good morning. So the other day I made a video reading your entire changelog including the spoiler while showing off the screenshots. It's kind of my way of making update videos. I also include some opinions of my own while reading over it. We go from panel to panel and even over to Trello to go deeper into detail. Now I've got some questions of my own I left in the video about Logging. Will we have a smithing table for making saw blades for various thick boards, do we get to carry half a tree on our backs, or make a tree sled? Have pets? Here's a link to that video as I am unsure where to place it. Love what our doing here Red and my biggest question by far is will everything from Java just port right into it or is it a WIP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCMujOhB8jA&t=7s

• So the other day I made a video reading your entire changelog

That's a great video! :thumbup:

Will we have a smithing table for making saw blades for various thick boards

Well, in the new version, blocks will be treated as construction elements (optionally), so it will be possible to resize them (just like current construction elements). In other words, there is basically no need to rely on planks if you want to build with full detail ;)

do we get to carry half a tree on our backs, or make a tree sled?

Currently we have no plans of changing the tree cutting/processing part. So basically you will still just cut the tree into smaller pieces, which can be picked up.

Have pets?

That's planned, but we have no ETA for that yet...

my biggest question by far is will everything from Java just port right into it or is it a WIP?

It depends... some things will definitely change (especially the crafting part). Maybe we will remove some of the furniture in favor of better furniture. And, of course, all materials/textures will be recreated from scratch (so there will be slightly different textures in the new version) ^^

• Thanks @red51 you're a great developer and I will always support your content. At the moment I may be on break from Rising World that's mostly because our worlds won't be able to port over. We can still build :) but all the same I'll need a new seed for the new world generation for me to rebuild Lighthouse Point.

• Maybe we will remove some of the furniture in favor of better furniture

I can only imagine how full your plate is right now, but was thinking this might be a good time to revisit a suggest post I made a couple years back about including the ability to craft work stations, beds, chairs, barrels, skeletons, etc.. in a dilapidated/broken state that would fit into old delves or caverns, or maybe even lost underground cities *cough*.

The revamp is looking great so far and cant wait to see additional screenshots.

• including the ability to craft work stations, beds, chairs, barrels, skeletons, etc.. in a dilapidated/broken state that would fit into old delves or caverns, or maybe even lost underground cities *cough*.

We have to think about that ;) Being able to craft "broken" furniture feels strange, but there will be definitely broken furniture in the new version (similar to the broken furniture you can already find in the abandoned cabins). So even if they're not craftable, you can at least collect them from existing dungeons (or alternatively spawn them via command).

Will there be a way to have a dedicated server for the java version after the new version goes live?

Yes, of course. When we have a release date for the new version, we will create a new beta branch for the dedicated server (which contains the current Java version). It's recommendable to move to that branch, so the release of the new version does not break the server. We will write an announcement when the beta branch is available ;)

In which order are you working on the categories in Trello? I feel stupid for asking, but I am kinda confused!

There is no particular order ^^ The features we're currently working on have a yellow/orange label (see the "info" list on the left). The "Roadmap" list is basically unordered, but important features are listed first.

• omg omg omg lol could this be a christmas present? have an experimental version for the new game? i dont care if all i can do is walk around lol id love it! is it possible to get more in depth for crafting and such? more grind in the crafting tree? and more block shapes (i know...ive been saying that since the beginning) ;) i know unity has some great options. and i cant wait!

you really need to set give us your paypal link...i know that more people than just me would like to buy you a coffee or pizza while you work. you rock! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!