Hosting a multiplayer game

• Are the dedicated server files you linked to able to be used with clients whom have the Steam version of the game. I read on the game's web page that the files on those pages we not compatible. I looked on Steam and could not find a dedicated server package for Rising World. Digging on the web showed me that the server files for the Steam dedicated version should be number# 339010 https://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q=rising+world however, those files do nothing when called with the steamcmd parameter.

./steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir /servers/risingworld +app_update 339010 validate +quit

The above does nothing and fails to find game.

To recap, is the link: download.rising-world.net/download.php?type=server compatible with the Steam version of the game?

• I am running those files right now. They don't have a dedicated server on steam yet, only the client. Download that dedicated server from the provided link and you will be fine.

• Exactly what @Bogus said. You need to create INBOUND rules (I think both TCP and UDP) in you firewall for your game port -1 through your game port +4. For example, if you are using 4255 as your game port, then you must create INBOUND firewall rule for ports 4254 through 4259.

Usually antivirus isn't an issue.

• That is an odd situation. I would try allowing outbound ports appropriate to that server. Usually you shouldn't have to enable ports on the client, but that really depends on the firewall you are using. Also, make sure your client is up to date.

• Hello together.

I have one question: I have a Server 2012 with the dedicated Server Version of Rising World via Steam installed.

In the server.properties is set the Port 4255. In the Windows Firewall i opened the Ports 4254-4259 TCP and UDP, but the server can´t be reached. When i turn off the Firewall, the Game starts when i log in with a Client.

Can someone help, thank you.

(I also tried to make a rule for the server execute file, but it is not working)

• Hello lucien.schuence,

I have installed the dedicated server files over steam, then i manual start the server with the file risingworldserver.exe in the folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\RisingWorldDedicatedServer

Before i started the server for the first time I edited the file: server.properties - which is in the same folder.

This is the server.properties file:

• Hello everybody, i found the problem.

Lucien told me, that java needs also an inbound rule for the firewall. With cmd and java -version i found my java version.

Normally Java is installed in c:\Program Files\Java\jrexyz\bin (the 64 Bit Version) xyz=Version Nr.
    or c:\Program Data (X86)\Java\jrexyz\bin (the 32 Bit Version)

When i allow both java.exe files to communicate to the internet, the client still cannot connect.

Then I examined the Process Explorer after I startet the Server, there is a Java working, when i examine the java Process with show path, it shows up the location of the used java for Rising World.

Process.JPG

The location is: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java.exe

Making a new inbound Program Firewall Rule with the java.exe in the path C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java.exe then it works fine!
    Now the clients can connect without problems.

I also made two rules with Ports 5001 UDP and TCP for Hive communication.

• I wouldn't make a rule, inbound or outbound, that allows java.exe to communicate on all ports. That's very unsecure. I would (as I stated in my reply above) create inbound rules for the specific ports).

• The problem there is: Which port needs java for Rising World...

I examine that later with netstat -ano

Update: I examined the ports with TCPEye, java seems to use multiple Ports, when i restart the server, another Port is used.

• Update: I examined the ports with TCPEye, java seems to use multiple Ports, when i restart the server, another Port is used.

The server only uses the port specified in the server.properties file (default 4255) -1 (4254 for http server) and +4. So by default you need to forward the ports 4254-4259 TCP and UDP.
    When java uses another port, it's maybe another program, but has nothing to do with the server ^^

• I made inbound rules for the specified Ports, that is not working, unless you make a rule for the java in the path C:\Windows\SysWOW64

My Server: Windows 2012

• @Hagi, That's strange you have java running from syswow, i have both jre and jdk running from program files
    Try setting enviroment variable JAVA_HOME to your program files java path or reinstalling java :/

edit: didn't mention you use windows server :(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!