Hosting a multiplayer game

• Important: This topic is outdated :!:

If you're looking for information about playing multiplayer, please have a look at this topic:
    Multiplayer

To find more information about setting up a dedicated server, please see this topic: Dedicated Server Setup

If you want to play multiplayer, and host the game on your computer, there are two possible ways doing it:

• Go to the singleplayer menu, select a world and hit the green "Play with friends" (Steam) or the red "Open for LAN" button. This starts a multiplayer session, so other people are able to join your game (please note that your server will not appear in the serverlist, so your friends have to connect via friend list or via IP).

• Download the Rising World Dedicated Server from Steam and run it. SteamCMD and anonymous login are supported. It's highly recommended to have Java 8 installed in order to run the server. Java 9 is currently not supported.

In short: If you simply want to play with some friends, it's recommended to start a LAN game. If you want to run the server in background (or you don't want to join the game), it's recommended to start a dedicated server.

You should be aware that when hosting a server on your machine, it's usually only reachable inside the local network. In order to give your friends the ability to connect over the internet, you need to forward your ports. You find plenty information about port forwarding on Google, it always depend on the type of router you have etc.
    Note: If you and your friends have an IPv6 address, you usually don't have to forward your ports, and can connect directly. You can find out if you have an IPv6 address by visiting this site: http://whatismyv6.com/ (your IPv6 address should look like this, for example: 2b08:314:cd22:7950:696f:1c4e:1h32:5af2). When running the Steam version, it may be necessary to add +ipv6 as launch option (rightclick on Rising World in your Steam Library -> Properties -> Set Launch Options).

The default port the game uses is 4255, the internal Http-Server uses the serverport-1. This can be changed for the dedicated server, but when using the default setup (or when starting a singleplayer game), you need to forward the ports 4254-4259 TCP and UDP (both protocols are required) :!:
    As you see, the server port as well as the following four ports need to be forwarded (so when using 5600 for example as your server port, you must forward 5599-5604).

Now the final step to let your friends connect to your server is to give them your IP. If you want to play in a local network, you give them your local network ip (or when playing over hamachi, accordingly your hamachi-IP). But when playing over the internet, you need your internet IP, which you can - for example - get here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

That's it! By the way, it's recommended to restart the server periodically. Usually a daily restart is sufficient.

Please keep in mind that the flag "server_hive_verification" is enabled by default for dedicated servers. It ensures that everybody who connects to the server will be validated through our HIVE, it is highly recommended to keep this setting enabled.

• i just wanna know is it like minecraft hosting, such as im australian and my friend is american can that person join with no lag? also Is there a way you guys could setup a server for the community to play on?

another thing is it gonna be like rust once servers are open later on can people just grief you or will there be a protection system or?

• i just wanna know is it like minecraft hosting, such as im australian and my friend is american can that person join with no lag?

If you host a game (i.e. start a game and let your friend join), it just depends on the ping and the performance of your system how laggy the game will run. If you have a powerful machine and a good internet connection (your upload rate is the limiting factor), it should work. Usually a ping smaller than 100 is recommendable, but if it's smaller than 200 it should also work.

also Is there a way you guys could setup a server for the community to play on?

Yes, we hope to get a public server running for the Steam release :)

another thing is it gonna be like rust once servers are open later on can people just grief you or will there be a protection system or?

When starting a regular game, everybody can do everything, so in this case griefing is possible. But our game features serverside LUA script support, which enables you to fully control the gameplay (i.e. determine which player can destroy which blocks, or specify in which area a player is able to build/destroy etc.). It's a little bit comparable to the plugins available for Bukkit for Minecraft. We already offer a basic area protection script, but we urgently need to get our Wiki online which is really helpful for everyone who wants to create a LUA script.

• Is it possible to configure a dedicated server with a custom port and a server name (for the future when you have a server list completed)? Your OP implies that I can change the port, but there is no documentation on arguments accepted by the jar.

• We will upload a new dedicated server shortly (hopefully this evening)! The old one had a bug anyway unfortunately...
    There is a server.properties file (with the old one it only gets created when the server starts for the first time), there you can change the port, ip and servername :)

• Thanks! By the way, for fellow players out there. I plan on hosting at win.thedeadlands.net:30500 as soon as they produce a working dedicated server package. I hope to see you all there! (updated information will be listed on http://www.thedeadlands.net).

• Hi, you just need the serverfiles if you want to host a dedicated server. If you only want to play with your friend, it's sufficient to start a singleplayer game (this automatically is a multiplayer server, other player can connect to your IP (hamachi ip if it is running).

• Hi, you just need the serverfiles if you want to host a dedicated server. If you only want to play with your friend, it's sufficient to start a singleplayer game (this automatically is a multiplayer server, other player can connect to your IP (hamachi ip if it is running).

do you have a server i can test my ping on? im from australia and see if it lags a big amount or delays?

• I modified the server.properties file, and changed my port to 30500 and opened 30499-30504 TCP and UDP in the firewall. Couldn't connect. So I looked at the console and the server is telling me that the game server IP bound to port 4255 and the http server bound to 4254. Those are the default ports. Do I need to point to the properties file as a launcher argument?

UPDATE: I restarted the server several times, mostly after crashes, and it ended up finally running on the correct port.

• At any rate, I have a dedicated server running. The URL and port is win.thedeadlands.net:30500. (Update: I finally got it to run on the port that I assigned after restarting it several times). I guess I will post this in bugs, but the server receives a fatal error, nullpointerexception when crafting. I have since directed all output to a file, so I will post that in the bugs the next time it happens.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!