Add more textures for the same blocks etc. to make them look less repetetive?

• What I really like about this game, is that it looks very realistic, compared to other sandbox games like Minecraft etc. But one thing kinda bothers me about the look:
    When you build a lot of blocks in a row and especially a wall, the textures begin to look very repetetive very fast. So how about adding several textures for just one block? I already hear you saying that this would either be too much work, since red would have to recreate a lot of textures to make them still fit with each other. Or that the performance would suffer from more textures.
    Well, nothing really to say against that to be honest, and I don't know if these would actually be good ideas, but how about,

• if block textures for example would actually consist of several smaller textures? I know this would even require more work, since red would have to make sure that these small squares fit perfectly, as well ^^
    • Simply add something that "randomizes" the textures ingame, like different lightning, brightning, add some dust/ smoke particle effects etc. Or some other small textures, that would cover parts of the blocks, like ivy plants on walls, random holes/ cuts/ damage on fitting blocks e.g. damage on very old wood walls. This would cost way less ressources I guess, but I don't know if it would actually look that much better like I would like it to look ^^ Example: http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Blend+Layer
    • I also found this, lel, did not really read that :P but as far as I saw, the idea is to do something like the previous point, just with an "overlay" texture that fits to the original one, so you can perfectly overlay the both. Then you just randomize the density of the overlay texture ingame

Just some ideas, guess it is not really important at this poin of the development of the game and red, you have surely better solutions for this, if you even care about this "problem" ^^ , but maybe someone else would like ot have some less repetetive walls etc.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!