Update 0.4.8: Vegetation, farming and volumetric clouds

A big new update is now available, introducing biomes, caves and much more!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.0.3 (2024-02-21)
  • Hi folks,

this update is a preparation of the upcoming world generation update - it introduces lots of new plants and trees, vegetables and fruits, farming and plant growth, as well as volumetric clouds!

In total, this update introduces more than 60 new trees (including saplings and young versions), more than 30 plants and crops (without taking the various growth stages into account) and 11 rocks and dead tree trunks. This update also introduces more than 10 new edible fruits and vegetables and two new smelting furnaces (which are reworked versions of the furnaces from the Java version).

c1.jpg

Various plants can be cultivated now: Similar to how it worked in the Java version, you can get a seedling from crops by using the sickle, which can then be planted on arable land (which can be prepared with a hoe).

Apart from the new content, this update also introduces a first version of volumetric clouds: Unlike a flat sky texture, they're actual "fluffy" 3D elements in the world. While you can't directly interact with them, it's still possible to have tall mountains or skyscrapers which soar above the clouds. While the clouds are rendered very efficiently, they still have a small impact on performance, so if your machine is already struggling with the new version, it may be necessary to disable them - this can be done in the graphics settings.

Clouds already change depending on the weather. For instance, if you type "weather overcast" into console, you will see how the clouds will become bigger and more dense.

One note about the cloud altitude: The clouds may appear to be at a relatively low altitude, but actually the demo world already takes place at a rather high elevation. This will change with the 2nd part of the world gen update.

c2.jpg

We also took this opportunity to rework the vegetation shader - there is now a much better wind effect on trees and a better shader for snow. This also applies to other elements like boulders or tree trunks.

Some of the new plants and trees will already spawn in the demo world, but if you want to check them all out, you can use the new creative mode vegetation placement tool: To do that, enable the creative mode by opening the console (press ` or ~) and type "gm 1" (without quot. marks), then press F6 to enable the placement tool. Open your inventory to select one of the new plants, and hold C to bring up a radial menu with various settings.

This new content will provide a good foundation for the upcoming 2nd part of the world generation update. We've prepared two screenshots which will give you an idea of the how the upcoming forests will look like, for example:

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

As always, this update also fixes various issues, bugs and introduces some other improvements under the hood: For instance, terrain modifications will work considerably faster now. Please find the full changelog below.

------

The next update will be the 2nd part of the world generation: It will enable you to create random worlds, it will contain various islands and more versatile landscapes (forests etc), and it will also introduce flowing water - this also means the islands will no longer be surrounded by gravel, instead there will be oceans. Feel free to check out the development status on our Trello Roadmap :)

Changelog 2022-06-22 (0.4.8):

• [New] Volumetric clouds
    • [New] First implementation of farming (use the hoe to prepare arable land, and use the sickle to collect seedlings from crops)
    • [New] New cultivable plants: tomato, chili, potato, watermelon, lettuce, corn, carrot, hemp
    • [New] New trees: acacia (x2), appletree, araucaria, birch, cactus (x4), cypress, hickory, london-plane (x2), palm, red maple, spruces (x6), weeping beech, willow oak
    • [New] New saplings, young versions and dead versions of almost all trees
    • [New] New saplings and different growth stages for all cultivable plants
    • [New] New plants: cotton, henbane, hogweed, monstera (x2), dandelion (x3), fern (x7), aloe vera, flowers (x7), ivy (x3), bushes (x5)
    • [New] New world objects: 9 new rocks, 2 tree trunks
    • [New] New food: bell pepper, carrot, chili, cookie, corncob, gingerroot, lettuce, pear, potato, tomato, watermelon
    • [New] New objects: Smelting furnace and big smelting furnace
    • [New] New creative mode tool: Vegetation placement (F6)
    • [New] New wind and snow shaders for vegetation
    • [New] Plant growth duration can be changed in the game settings
    • [New] Blocks with unit size which are placed in the grid can now be rendered more performantly
    • [New] New "Copy block" key: Adds a copy of the block in the world you're currently looking at to your inventory, or equips it if it already exists
    • [New] Pressing 1-5 while hovering an item in inventory moves it to the according slot in the hotbar
    • [New] Pressing the mouse wheel button while hovering an item in inventory equips the item
    • [New] It's now possible to set up a custom "JavaTextures.txt" file containing custom texture replacement definitions for Java blueprints
    • [New] Item count in crafting menu can now be entered directly by clicking on the count label
    • [New] Added "skyrotation" console command to change the sky orientation (affects direction where the sun rises and sets)
    • [New] Sleeping (skipping nights) now speeds up ore smelting and plant growth accordingly
    • [New] Added setting ("View adjustment") to enable optional cinematic black bars at the top and bottom of the HUD
    • [New] Added setting ("Misc") to change blueprint rotation pivot behaviour (toggle between center of object [default] or center of area [similar to Java version handling])
    • [New] Multiplayer: New "lock" and "unlock" input command (also available via Scheduler) to prevent players from connecting (may be useful during restarts, for example)
    • [New] Multiplayer: Added permissions "info_shownametag" and "info_nametagalwaysvisible"
    • [New] Multiplayer: Permission "forbidden_items" now supports "#inherit" entry to inherit all forbidden items from the parent permission
    • [New] Added "edit shape" command to retroactively change the shape of a block in the world
    • [New] Added "printkeybindings" console command to create a text file containing all current key bindings
    • [New] Update to Unity 2022.1
    • [Change] Terrain modifications (creative mode terrain tools) are considerably faster now
    • [Change] Improved rendering of distant trees
    • [Change] Reduced "tiling" on distant terrain textures
    • [Change] Greatly improved performance when trying to place lots of elements in a row
    • [Change] Count label when placing multiple elements in a row is now visible through walls
    • [Change] Texture IDs are now visible for window frames in crafting menu
    • [Change] When deconstructing construction elements with a sledgehammer, the original element size is taken into account when spawning the item
    • [Change] Glass pane size is now reset again after snapping to window frames
    • [Change] In P2P or LAN games it's no longer possible to kick or ban the host
    • [Change] If a view distance greater than the max value in options is set, changing graphics settings no longer override this value
    • [Change] Changed appearance of the planet when player is in orbit (Y > 5000)
    • [Change] Pressing enter in chat no longer interferes with building tools
    • [Change] Blueprints will now only be reloaded if the game detects any changes in the blueprints folder
    • [Change] Changed color of header labels in settings menu (increases visibility)
    • [Change] Increased precision of rock collision shapes (for large-scaled rocks)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed bug which prevented you from cutting down trees in multiplayer
    • [Bugfix] Fixed sandstone materials not being selectable in crafting menu
    • [Bugfix] Fixed minor precision issues when placing a block right after rotating it
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong texture alignment on blocks in inventory
    • [Bugfix] Fixed texture sometimes getting stretched on arc block shapes
    • [Bugfix] Fixed pivot / snapping issues on overlapping blocks (game sometimes couldn't decide which block to snap to)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed blocks in hands not always updating properly after exchanging them with another stack of blocks in inventory
    • [Bugfix] Fixed crash when placing lots of elements in a row (need feedback)
    • [Bugfix] Hopefully fixed bug causing sudden data loss, i.e. missing construction elements etc (need feedback)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue which caused the game to use more than 2 directions when placing elements in a row (despite different setting)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed black borders on panorama screenshots (use "panorama" console command)
    • [Bugfix] Using console commands no longer resets the game window size (when playing in windowed mode)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed "blueprints" console command
    • [Bugfix] Fixed "cleanup items" console command
    • [Bugfix] Fixed blocks being removed from inventory even though they could not be placed
    • [Bugfix] Fixed error when game could not initialize an audio input device
    • [Bugfix] Fixed error when changing paint roller color

Hotfix 2022-06-23:

• [Bugfix] Fixed bug that the game didn't recognize workbenches in players proximity
    • [Bugfix] Fixed broken shadows when changing the shadow quality
    • [Bugfix] Added missing rotation precision values in vegetation radial menu (C)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed potential crash on some Linux distros

Hotfix 2022-06-25:

• [Change] The "hud" command no longer hides cinematic bars (if they're active)
    • [Change] Changed tiling of farmland texture
    • [Change] Commands "rotation", "setp", "setl" and "setr" now also work for vegetation placement
    • [Change] Setting plant growth duration in settings to 0 now makes saplings grow within 10 seconds
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing block faces in certain situations
    • [Bugfix] Fixed "skyrotation" console command
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong footstep sound on farmland
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue which prevented saplings from being planted on farmland in certain situations
    • [Bugfix] Fixed depth-of-field setting not working correctly
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong fuel capacities of smelting furnaces
    • [Bugfix] Fixed http error when sending a report
  • Thanks a lot for your feedback! ^^ :thumbup:

One question - will plants get brighter translucency? Like we saw on early previews? At this moment most plant leaves are much darker on the back side than expected

We had trouble to get that looking right in all situations (it was causing trouble at low sun angles or during night), but it's still on our to-do list ;)

I'm experiencing a segmentation fault when trying to launch in linux. where would i find the core dump?

Hmm... is there maybe a log file? It should be in /home/username/.config/unity3d/JIW-Games/Rising World/

• A new hotfix is available now btw! ;) If you still experience any issues, please let us know!
    There is no need to update multiplayer servers this time^^

Hotfix 2022-06-23:

• [Bugfix] Fixed bug that the game didn't recognize workbenches in players proximity
    • [Bugfix] Fixed broken shadows when changing the shadow quality
    • [Bugfix] Added missing rotation precision values in vegetation radial menu (C)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed potential crash on some Linux distros (need feedback)
  • Looking good, though I have more to playtest. Wish it released yesterday and not today (on a Wednesday). I'm loving the new shrubs, trees, etc. Trees being what they used to be. I'm baffled by pears, and other stuff mentioned. Haven't cycled through the non-Java type additions. Farming seems to be fine.

[New] New cultivable plants: tomato, chili, potato, watermelon, lettuce, corn, carrot, hemp
    [New] New trees: acacia (x2), appletree, araucaria, birch, cactus (x4), cypress, hickory, london-plane (x2), palm, red maple, spruces (x6), weeping beech, willow oak

Tomato I saw, as with chili, watermelons, lettuce, corn, (not carrot???), and hemp. I'm drawing a blank on carrots. Something said 'pears', I haven't seen those. I've also misread something as peaches looking for a peach tree...... Couldn't find that either. Neither pears, nor peaches.

[New] New food: bell pepper, carrot, chili, cookie, corncob, gingerroot, lettuce, pear, potato, tomato, watermelon

Pears...... I'm confused. I saw no pears, maybe I'm being blind. I cycled through all the items. Maybe I have to spawn them in.... Had to check everything in such a short time frame, though loving the new additions I was able to check out in both survival and creative mode. I cycled through all the new vegetation loving the new flowers. Can't wait for a gardener NPC to provide us with blue and red flowers, among other types.

Also, I know you told me how to fix the menu that pops up when you boot the game. How do I fix that again? Sorry.

• Thanks a lot for your Feedback! ^^

Tomato I saw, as with chili, watermelons, lettuce, corn, (not carrot???), and hemp. I'm drawing a blank on carrots.

There are indeed carrots, although they're really hard to spot if they spawn naturally ^^ However, they're also accessible through the creative mode vegetation placement tool (F6), just open your inventory while that tool is active to bring up a plant selection screen.

To get the edible carrot item, just type "item carrot" into console.

Pears...... I'm confused. I saw no pears, maybe I'm being blind. I cycled through all the items. Maybe I have to spawn them in....

They're just available as item, so unfortunately they don't spawn naturally yet :saint: Some of these fruits (e.g. the pears, bell pepper, ginger root etc) will only be optainable from NPCs in the future, and some may spawn in chests (like the overripe pear). Things like the cookie will be part of the future cooking update^^

But you can spawn them with the "item" command ;) These are the commands for the new items:

Also, I know you told me how to fix the menu that pops up when you boot the game. How do I fix that again? Sorry.

You mean the debug console (i.e. the black console window)? You can disable it by opening the "config.properties" file in the game directory (in the "_New Version" subfolder) and change "Game_DebugConsole" to False , then save the file and run the game again ;)

Let's get to the real question, have the smilies in chat been fixed?

They should work, actually this was supposed to be already fixed with the previous update :saint: :D

do you have in plan to add animal husbandry as a native feature?

Yes, animal husbandry is definitely planned, although that won't be part of the initial NPC / Animal update unfortunately... the problem is that we need proper models for the cubs (probably it wouldn't look right if we just use a downscaled version of the parent animal), but right now we don't have the funds to hire a 3d artist for that... but it's definitely on our to-do list ;) This is something we could implement once the new version is a bit more fleshed out (which hopefully has a positive impact on the sales) :D

• There are indeed carrots, although they're really hard to spot if they spawn naturally ^^ However, they're also accessible through the creative mode vegetation placement tool (F6), just open your inventory while that tool is active to bring up a plant selection screen.

To get the edible carrot item, just type "item carrot" into console.

Guess I'll take a quick peak in the early afternoon and night. I even went through the creative mode not really seeing them, unless I lapsed in awareness. I'll check what I saved later.

They're just available as item, so unfortunately they don't spawn naturally yet :saint: Some of these fruits (e.g. the pears, bell pepper, ginger root etc) will only be optainable from NPCs in the future, and some may spawn in chests (like the overripe pear). Things like the cookie will be part of the future cooking update^^

But you can spawn them with the "item" command ;) These are the commands for the new items:

That explains why I couldn't find pears. Yeah. As for the NPC part, can't wait. I can't wait to start questioning NPCs hoping to gain various rewards out of them.

Glad we'll also see cooking! YAY!~ I recall VortacVids wanted the cooking update to which he made a bakery place. Him and Weem both bailed on Rising World so I hope they reconsider later. If not, it's their loss. They have themselves to blame. I digress...... Can't wait for the BBQ cooking to come back. I want to cook fish again on a grill, I genuinely miss that.

Fishing is something I can't wait to come back also.

Thanks for the list, I'll see about making a note of it :)

You mean the debug console (i.e. the black console window)? You can disable it by opening the "config.properties" file in the game directory (in the "_New Version" subfolder) and change "Game_DebugConsole" to False , then save the file and run the game again ;)

Many thanks! I'll try to make note of it this time. I'll put it somewhere I can see it then edit it when I can focus. It's late.

Can't wait for my next rounds of testing.

• Hmm... is there maybe a log file? It should be in /home/username/.config/unity3d/JIW-Games/Rising World/

I found the problem. The free driver that's bundled with Linux for nvidia is not the best. Fedora has a better nvidia drivers in its non-free repository. I just grabbed it and rebooted and i'm up and running with high draw distance and 60 fps :)

sudo dnf update -y
    sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia
    sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda

• Another hotfix is now available! It introduces some changes and also contains a few fixes ;)

For multiplayer servers, this update is optional.

Hotfix 2022-06-25:

• [Change] The "hud" command no longer hides cinematic bars (if they're active)
    • [Change] Changed tiling of farmland texture
    • [Change] Commands "rotation", "setp", "setl" and "setr" now also work for vegetation placement
    • [Change] Setting plant growth duration in settings to 0 now makes saplings grow within 10 seconds
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing block faces in certain situations
    • [Bugfix] Fixed "skyrotation" console command
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong footstep sound on farmland
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue which prevented saplings from being planted on farmland in certain situations
    • [Bugfix] Fixed depth-of-field setting not working correctly
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong fuel capacities of smelting furnaces
    • [Bugfix] Fixed http error when sending a report

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!