Time / Area Baced Mobs

• I Was thinking it would be a good Idea to put in spawning locations and times to NPCs. Examples below:

1. Ghosts, zombies, skeletons and demons ex. can spawn in dungeons, But only Ghosts and zombies could spawn in a grave yard.
    2. Animals have some kind of den or nest that they could spawn from and or go to sleep at night/day if it is undisturbed by players.
    3. Besides one or two hostile monsters, I think the only hostile mobs on the open surface should be the hostile animals.
    4.Bats/Birds cycle where as the birds pawn in during the day then despawn at night where the bats would spawn in and despawn at sunrise.
    5. Hostile animals and mobs attracted to dead mobs and players or maybe even spawn in some.

I was think if you put area based spawning system and not just a time/lighting one you would have a spawning system that would not only be unique but give the players a more engrossing experience but also a more realistic one.

• One more thing to my last post.
    I think that the spawn rate should be based on regions, and the spawn rate would adjust itself to fix the desired mob ratio for example:
    If the desired amount of sheep for each region is 25 but their is only 3 sheep the cool down period between spawns would go down but, when there is 15 sheep the cool down would go up and would completely stop spawning at 25.

It would also be cool if each area had its own random ratio.

• Time & Area based mobs I can live with in this game.

1) Ghosts, skeletons, and demons I can accept. Zombies are out through a mass voting of community; Except for zombie dogs. Zombie dogs could happily take zombie's presence.
    2) Regeneration is being looked into so I guess a nest would work. Star Wars Galaxy (MMO) type where it just randomly generates but disappears when you break it down. I doubt we'll want to destroy it if we're going to be resourceful so I could see these nests ideas working. Beaver dams for exampel, if we do get beaver dams. Foxes getting their fox den would work.
    3) Hostile animals top side only? I guess. That seems to be how people are pushing, though I'd also enjoy it if we had certain conditions met to allow for rare 'mini-boss' mobs to spawn...not in darkness, or in homes....In woods and such on condition checks. Maybe even Goblins in tunnels as ZaCorn' mentioned. Bandits were mentioned. I'd enjoy something equivalent to Minecraft's Enderman & witch in rarity (one-five a night, or even day in RW's case).
    4) Seeing as how birds are being looked into I'd assume they'd be there, probably 24/7. Maybe more intelligently coded if we have burnt food and all that. I'd enjoy the sight of bats, and night birds.
    5) Hostile creatures attracted to dead entities? To corpses? That's an interesting thought. Some wanting to snack on dead corpses, like sneaky foxes, birds, wolves, definitely hungry bears, and such would be welcomed. Annoying, though greatly welcomed. Would have to make sure you store your food somewhere strong and safe.

--------------

Something to add..........

Weemcast suggested adding in digging monsters. If animals or mobs can dig into dirt or stone then you shall have to be greatly on guard while trying to keep them at bay. This would add an interesting level of challenge, even if people do whine they want it gone. Adding these 'diggers' type mods is greatly welcomed by myself and weem (even if we didn't discuss it; I accept and agree with his idea) when hearing it in his third bunker video.

Bring on the digger mobs! Allow bears to wreck havoc on wooden shelters! Not so much on stone, just wood heh :thumbsup:

• Thanks for your Input :D
    I never thought about a digging monster that would be so cool. I could imagine mining in the dark and stopping to listen for the sound of it digging toward you. Its so spooky and intense. Love It!!

• I wrote a big thing for this yesterday but lost connection. I think they were updating the site. Anyways, spawn locations.

Predators and prey I believe will be biome specific, with some overlap.

No zombies other than zombie dog (even that I don't want lol).

Animals dens. Well, only for animals which would normally use a den. Like wolves. Not all use dens. They should sense the players presence and not come out of the den if the player is close, they should wait until the player is long gone. This way players can't camp the den and kill them easily as they come out. Dens should be protected so they can't be destroyed or accessed from below via mining etc.. But then, as you can see.. there are issues with having dens. So maybe just having them spawn in the world is best.

@red51 One thing is for sure. Devs, make sure animals don't clump together in one spot. They should be dispersed throughout the biome(s) they spawn in.

I hope predators will be drawn to kills you make, and also to your livestock in your farm. But, I want so badly that predators also make their own kills on prey. And eat them, meaning if you come across a kill, the meat is gone.. maybe you just get some leather from the body.

Birds/bats - I hope they do not despawn. I hope no animals despawn. It would be better if they go to their nest during the night. Owls would do the opposite. And bats would come from caves during the night.

Where monsters spawn. This has been talked about a lot. I would like to see them in dungeons and on the surface in temples and ruins etc.. not roaming around on the surface though.

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• Thanks for your Input :D
    I never thought about a digging monster that would be so cool. I could imagine mining in the dark and stopping to listen for the sound of it digging toward you. Its so spooky and intense. Love It!!

Thinking about what both you and Weem suggested might end up being the Creeper in this game. What he suggested, and what you added had me now picturing a scene-of-horror with how at random you would hear digging in dirt, in stone, and anything 'natural' and not playermade. How they would get spooked while panicking at what they might first assume to be a ghost. Maybe if you want to get spooky you could hear its 'war-cry' to send chills down your spine. If you want a time trigger then how about a dusk & dawn scare? The player, or players all panicking to keep their settlements safe by using their sword, bows & arrows, and such to keep it at bay. Even digging down to it to kite it around while it behaves all seriously scary and eerieness. A mixture of both the Creeper & Enderman in both spookieness and silence (at most times) that would catch you off guard. I can now imagine people building a strong basement flooring to keep their builds safe :whistling:

Once Ages are added it shall be fun seeing low-Aged players struggling to deal with this monster during the dusk & dawn period aiming for them and their homes. Trying to dig away at the stone and dirt. Shall be fun trying to program the thing to lose interest and to not just go absolutely wild, to not try and tear down player-made blocks. Maybe it's higher tier'd buddy could do that? Maybe not seeing as how people would whine their creations are being destroyed. It should try and hunt you down, tunnel, or walk towards you while knocking down raw dirt and stone that you placed up during the brief dusk & dawn period to keep you on alert as you either wake up or ready yourself to go to sleep. Waking up to it standing in front in bed as you both stare one another down before killing one another in a Western stand-off.

Also, that mention of owls is something I'd love to hear at night for both visual and auditory vibrancy. Hearing and seeing it adding to the nightly vibe.

• Something creeping around in the dark down in the depths would be great. Should it dig? I don't think so. I think that would create more problems then it's worth. Really interesting idea for sure though!

Considering what normally lives in deep, dark caves, some sort of dangerous insect might be interesting. Sounds that a large insect would make would be super creepy in the dark. Especially if they climb the walls and ceiling. Just a thought I just had for this.

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• Thinking about what both you and Weem suggested might end up being the Creeper in this game. What he suggested, and what you added had me now picturing a scene-of-horror with how at random you would hear digging in dirt, in stone, and anything 'natural' and not playermade. How they would get spooked while panicking at what they might first assume to be a ghost. Maybe if you want to get spooky you could hear its 'war-cry' to send chills down your spine. If you want a time trigger then how about a dusk & dawn scare? The player, or players all panicking to keep their settlements safe by using their sword, bows & arrows, and such to keep it at bay. Even digging down to it to kite it around while it behaves all seriously scary and eerieness. A mixture of both the Creeper & Enderman in both spookieness and silence (at most times) that would catch you off guard. I can now imagine people building a strong basement flooring to keep their builds safe :whistling:

Once Ages are added it shall be fun seeing low-Aged players struggling to deal with this monster during the dusk & dawn period aiming for them and their homes. Trying to dig away at the stone and dirt. Shall be fun trying to program the thing to lose interest and to not just go absolutely wild, to not try and tear down player-made blocks. Maybe it's higher tier'd buddy could do that? Maybe not seeing as how people would whine their creations are being destroyed. It should try and hunt you down, tunnel, or walk towards you while knocking down raw dirt and stone that you placed up during the brief dusk & dawn period to keep you on alert as you either wake up or ready yourself to go to sleep. Waking up to it standing in front in bed as you both stare one another down before killing one another in a Western stand-off.

Also, that mention of owls is something I'd love to hear at night for both visual and auditory vibrancy. Hearing and seeing it adding to the nightly vibe.

What if a random event made something like that happen where you would have some kind of warning sign like whimpers or screams, and that night you would be attacked by a hoard of monsters or a boss or something until dawn. Witch would have players team up for survival sake and make their baces strong enough to survive such an attack.

• oh and I don't think a digging monster would be to much of a problem if it really didn't "dig" and just made the noises of digging and had a burial and an emerge animation. But I really don't know sense am not a game designer.

• I agree with something creeping underground but I just got a buzz kill when reading that they shouldn't be able to dig or interact with the environment. Sure, it would irritate some people, making them whine and such...Just that it should at least be tested to see how 'fun' it'll be if they can be threatful to low-tier players building with dirt, stone, and wood.....all natural. Not always doing such, maybe 40% chance to do so, maybe?

As for screaming and making noises underground, that be horrifying. If it's considered then feel free to add it. That would actually make me want to have the NPC companions more-so while also making sure I have friends in the area. So what R3dbrook is also suggesting is to have 'trapdoor spider' type mobs eh? I'd approve of that happening at random.

Digging, howling, and trap-door monsters.

• Ya personally I would love for a digging monster to actually dig. So you can see where the monsters have been and maybe lead to there burrow but I could see how that would upset players and complicate the game.

• You don't mind me resurfacing them? I would love taking a look at your Ideas :) You have a real survivalist vision about this game and I like that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!