Grass-Cutters

• This is actually something for fun to get those thoughts rolling. I know it may be "too soon", but at the very least we can try imagining what the future has in store. Also, this isn't a 100% solid suggestion, only something that is being desired for amusements for laughs & spoiling the player with while also taking into account how the game wants us to "Age up". I also know we have scythes so no need to point that out.

Vortac mentioned this with me finding it overly amusing that I had a nice laugh out of this. We should be able to tech up from scythes all through up to the modern equivalent, if for the fun of it all. Doesn't have to be vanilla, could even be through modding for all I care. Just something "fun". This also implies that we can plant grass seeds to allow them to grow to what we see with the 'wild' tall grass. We should try and keep the grass at 'tamable' levels, no? I'd suggest so.

- Tech Line:
    Scythes -> Pushable lawnmowers (without engine working off human energy) -> Pushable motorized lawn-mower -> Ridable lawn-mower (those you see going down streets) -> (Bonus: Farm-able miniature combines for wheat.)

I don't expect these to be in at all as it's more of a laugh, a jest, and something amusing to ponder about. Something to keep those thoughts and interest rolling. Have something better to suggest? I want to actually hear it. Would be amusing to see buddies using those manual lawnmowers (without engines) while also seeing those ridable ones motoring their way around the map. Thanks for the laugh, @Vortac . :thumbup:

• I don't see why not. It would be more useful then just for a laugh I think. For farming say.. cutting hay down for cattle etc.. Anyways, when biomes are added grass will not cover everything as it does now. Maybe a couple biomes will have lots of grass.

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• Excellent. I'd also now expect it to be used for farming, even for those SMP maps now that you bring it up like that. Feeding both the animals and the players themselves, maybe even the NPC Traders & villagers, if it all goes that far.

Makes sense. I guess then you'd have to add desert tools, winter gear, and all that. You would then have to add snow-blowers, snow melters (ice & snow to water), and 'bamboo sweepers" if you want to get overly complex and detailed for those winter areas. Making brooms for desert environments and bamboo sweets (Look at Japan, Sapporo for their tram-lines), something I'd hope Ottawa shall look into for their snow-plowing needs for rail whenever they stop being a 10-30 decades behind and retarded with their projects, something we'll accomplish almost immediately when given the tools heh.

That would be a sweet way to tech up though, branching off to the biome's needs.

(Edit: Me being stupid didn't remember that anime called "Spice & Wolf" where scythes were used for farming wheat also. It was so obvious, like that bucket of water suggestion, that I skipped over it. Sure, why not....Farming, yes.)

----------

- Example Of Farming Combine. I know you know what it looks like, just something more 'pocket' sized for RW's needs.

• Scythes -> Pushable lawnmowers (without engine working off human energy) -> Pushable motorized lawn-mower -> Ridable lawn-mower (those you see going down streets) -> (Bonus: Farm-able miniature combines for wheat.)

I could defensively see one of those old school lawnmowers and maybe even an motorized one. I dont know though if they would add any rideable lawnmower. They might consider that to high tech.

• I don't think we would need something that size haha. Also, you need flat land to use something like that. From my learning about old gardening methods, using a scythe isn't all that difficult really. You can clear quite a large area in a days work.

Maybe just a small backyard sized riding lawnmower. But really that is going too far for a game other than a farm simulator haha. It's not too high tech, I mean, we will have computers and vehicles. But something just for cutting grass just isn't worth the work.

One thing about vehicles. I hope they scare the wildlife away!! So if you expect to hunt, you'll have to do it on foot.

• Alright, then I'll keep my thoughts small on this one because we don't really need these. It's just 'for fun' to brainstorm tech while also struggling to find a miniature combine to work with. I wouldn't mind a rideable lawn-mower though that's used. I agree, I can accept a backyard sized riding lawnmower also. That would be practical while staying small. I don't really care because I can use a scythe to clear out grass and wheat so I'm all fine. The more you use an item the more efficient you become with it, as see in Skyrim & Minecraft heh.

Riding in a vehicle that'll scare wild-life? That needs to be done. I'd approve of that to hunt the old fashioned way while even having trains scripted to scare wild-life away, or at the least have those cow-pushers actually push the wildlife to the side, if with crippling damage.

• Yeah they are more intelligent then a deer etc right so.. makes sense to me and adds more danger to using vehicles or machines which are supposed to make things easier hehe

• Vehicles attracting monsters eh? Sure, but what kind? I guess I should bring up Weem's "Diggers" and my "Snow Ghost" suggestions then. Bandits and Goblins for Corm's suggestions. Finding yourself somewhat lost in a snowy biome with the 'snow ghosts' checking you out curiously to then attack you if it's blizzard-like. Nice, ya. I love that idea.

• It all depends on if the devs make monsters spawn on the surface out in the open instead of just in dungeons and temples etc..

If monsters can be turned off completely, then I don't see why they couldn't spawn on the surface. If so, the better not chase the player across the map.

• I knew a cat a long time ago which lost an ear because of the radiator fan in a car... darn thing was sleeping in the engine when they turned it on.

But I think that might be going to far for the game lol

• I knew a cat a long time ago which lost an ear because of the radiator fan in a car... darn thing was sleeping in the engine when they turned it on.

But I think that might be going to far for the game lol

Ya, I bet your right. Its a bit of a stretch, but you got to think with your head in the clouds. Problem being sometimes your Ideas get to inflated.

• That's fine! I've been told more then once I was way out there in left field lol It's part of the process. :)

One part of you idea that may work if it's twisted a bit. If monsters roam around on the surface, maybe they (or just certain ones) are attracted to fires, or lights.... like moths but with a purpose of finding food or items etc... This creates bit of a "dangerous at night" thing which some don't want but I think this is unique enough that it won't feel like say Minecraft, or Dayz. I mean, it makes sense if some bandit or goblin is wandering around at night that it would check out a campfire or house all light up.

No doubt this has been mentioned somewhere.. I'm not awake yet and can't remember if it has lol

• Would be an interesting idea, though I think it would be similar to how "Forest" does its base hunting thing. Those mutants constantly going after you, even if you fortified your base and such. It gets tedious that you'll have to tone down the frequency, make it only a certain type, while also making it more of a vehicle thing. It'll have to be more along the line of you having to be aware of your surroundings over a pure "Forest" mutant attraction. I guess that's what's also being implied, yet not worded clearly.

The vehicle noise attractions and scare-offs being the awesome ideas.

• No, nothing like how The Forest does it. They follow specific paths and check out the player if they can see him or what he built from that path. Or should I say patrol route.

More of a vehicle thing?

The idea assumes monsters will roam on the surface within their biome(s). We have no idea if this will be the case, they may just spawn in dungeons etc. Anyways, if they roam on the surface then at some point they would no doubt come across the players stuff. I wouldn't want set behavior for where they go other than maybe staying in their biome(s). So it would be much more random, especially if the biomes are big. Maybe from a certain distance they can detect a light source, at that point they head in that direction. Could end up killing livestock, busting into your house.. I don't know. If you're there, obviously you would have bit of an issue to deal with.

Point is, players tend to turtle... so there should be ways of danger coming to the player's base. So livestock attracting predators (possibly monsters too if they happen to come close enough to see there are yummy pigs in a pen etc..) and maybe light attracting smarter monsters at night.

• I see I'm using poor choices of words again. I won't be able to get rid of that again.....What I meant to say is that I agree with your train of thoughts while also trying to nudge it back to the hostiles being attracted by vehicles and light while scaring off the more 'peaceful' entities. I'm now agreeing with your posting how you explained yourself. I think all this snowing is doing my mind in, same with the frustrations of not being able to beat this level in this KanColle web game.

I'll agree with the whole light thing, if they do see it from a distance. That would be quite interesting for you to see a curious hostile entity behaving all neutral or peaceful at first. Once they feel like they can attack they should consider it. Some more than others, some less than others. Not sure how the coding works, though should be interesting if you could insert those search patterns rescue patrols, navies, and similar use to search an area. Just an idea. What would be most amusing if you know a mob to be hostile but you stalk it to see what it's curious about with the illusion that it's actually checking out your stuff, maybe even playing around with items. I have yet to see a hostile do such. Would be a nice breath of fresh air. I guess they should also be allowed to stray briefly out of their native biome before wandering back in for safety.

And yes, we players indeed do turtle. The "Digging" monster Weem mentioned would be most appropriate here. Not sure it'll even be considered because people are going to whine and moan about how their stuff keeps being destroyed with them resorting to turning every monster off all because a mob was added to un-turtle them. I really do want to see it added, just that I would hate seeing people not wanting more unique mobs that could possibly make the game more interesting in curiosity and with stories being told how monsters ruined their day. I do agree that there should also be certain degrees of stocking up on wheat, live-stock, supplies, building materials, and etc. Should be a chance to spawn something, but I guess complex thoughts should be added post-game and through mods.

(Have I strayed or poorly worded things again?)

• For the digging monster, I just think it'll cause too many bugs. Messing with the terrain like that just seems like a coding nightmare lol

Monsters which are attracted to light and thus potentially a player's base, they could have different things they go after. Meaning, a goblin could want your chickens. Orc may want something bigger... Give them separate interests. That way if you are away and come back to discover your base messed up, you could figure out what was there and possibly hunt it down if you so wanted.

And yeah, the sounds of machines and vehicles might attract some type of monster(s) for sure.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!