How big is the world

• What is Cool about the way Rising world works is the way the world is generated. It only creates another piece of the world if you go there and the data seems to be very small because only the changes you make to the world seem to be saved. I have a very large test world with a lot of just roads and the data size is tiny.

• Actually seems like you have perfect plan @red51 :D But I don't think that makeing the world unlimited would be wasted time, if you implement something like a planet, because there will always be some people who enough this or another mode. I guess haveing a real planet ingame would be an idea for a very late point in the development, for now everything you do currently seems perfectly fine to me

• The idea of an "planet simulation" (i.e. when I walk for a given amount of time into one direction, I will finally end up again at the spot where my journey started) is quite interesting, but there is one problem: It's difficult to find a good size for the world. It is more complicated for us to implement such a system than simply implementing a "real" endless world, but it would be a pity if the world is still too big that nearly no player would realize that it is spherical.
    Otherwise, if the world has a fixed size, there could be indeed not enough room for big multiplayer servers, and apart from that, all our effort we already put into preparations for an "unlimited" world would be a waste of time ^^

So I think a (horizontally) unlimited world is the best approach (low priority though), but there will be a few exceptions: On the one hand, the stranded mode will most likely have a fixed worldsize, surrounded by an ocean. On the other hand, people will be able to restrict the size of their world in creative mode (this is especially interesting for creating adventure maps).
    (Currently you can btw. already restrict the world with the help of Lua scripts)

If you must, do the horizontally endless option (I assume north and south would be bordered by ocean). If possible, make a globe man.. that would Fing rock! But even with the horizontally endless option, you could still have an equator and cold polar regions in the north and south (yup.. going to push my other idea here :P). Size can be figured out based on general server size (max players). Even with hundreds of players I don't think size will be an issue if the globe spread out is like 1000x1000km. I mean, if endless is an option, size shouldn't be a problem for a globe. ;)

But yeah, stranded mode on a large island surrounded by ocean. Forgot about that haha

Actually seems like you have perfect plan @red51 :D But I don't think that makeing the world unlimited would be wasted time, if you implement something like a planet, because there will always be some people who enough this or another mode. I guess haveing a real planet ingame would be an idea for a very late point in the development, for now everything you do currently seems perfectly fine to me

And this.

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• The idea of an "planet simulation" (i.e. when I walk for a given amount of time into one direction, I will finally end up again at the spot where my journey started) is quite interesting, but there is one problem: It's difficult to find a good size for the world. It is more complicated for us to implement such a system than simply implementing a "real" endless world, but it would be a pity if the world is still too big that nearly no player would realize that it is spherical.
    Otherwise, if the world has a fixed size, there could be indeed not enough room for big multiplayer servers, and apart from that, all our effort we already put into preparations for an "unlimited" world would be a waste of time ^^

So I think a (horizontally) unlimited world is the best approach (low priority though), but there will be a few exceptions: On the one hand, the stranded mode will most likely have a fixed worldsize, surrounded by an ocean. On the other hand, people will be able to restrict the size of their world in creative mode (this is especially interesting for creating adventure maps).
    (Currently you can btw. already restrict the world with the help of Lua scripts)

Agree in all sounds good, do it the way you want. And yeah we should be able to set borders with luascript, then you can maybe say if player is x,y,z set position back to x-worldsize,y-worldsize,z-worldsize or something like this. I don't need this equator thing, random biomes, was always nice at minecraft. Maybe a desert biome should not be located near a snowy mountain, we could use buffer biomes for it but thats another topic hehe.

And what we can do to create adventure maps is to make an Multiworldskript, where we can build "Levels". The greatest addition would be to import large scale areas from software like world machine :).

• Could this be done or not? How about when player click on "RW" we would all be brought into a main lobby as individual players
    & we could enter a portal witch would let us enter into the server of our choices! Seems like not much of an idea but in fact
    bring all the servers into 1 mega game play instaid of all single server witch we never go visit anyhow! This could be a platform for futur
    "PVP" servers as each participating servers could go attack other servers instaid of going 1 on 1 with the same enemies in the same
    old boring server.... By this, private server could become gigantic clan instaid of being demolished by in server people only!

• Could this be done or not? How about when player click on "RW" we would all be brought into a main lobby as individual players
    & we could enter a portal witch would let us enter into the server of our choices! Seems like not much of an idea but in fact
    bring all the servers into 1 mega game play instaid of all single server witch we never go visit anyhow! This could be a platform for futur
    "PVP" servers as each participating servers could go attack other servers instaid of going 1 on 1 with the same enemies in the same
    old boring server.... By this, private server could become gigantic clan instaid of being demolished by in server people only!

What do you mean, an auto server search system?

• I don't need this equator thing, random biomes, was always nice at minecraft. Maybe a desert biome should not be located near a snowy mountain, we could use buffer biomes for it but thats another topic hehe.

Exactly, don't want snow next to desert. So how to organize them? Buffer biomes? So a swamp between snow and desert? I mean I'll play whatever in RW, but if we will talk about not wanting snow next to desert, might as well do something that creates immersion right? Thus the equator thing. Also, north and south would have meaning. Anyways.. I'm repeating myself haha

Could this be done or not? How about when player click on "RW" we would all be brought into a main lobby as individual players

I like the idea of server vs server pvp. If done right that could be epic. But, I don't see all RW servers having one lobby. That would be a nightmare I think. So not sure how this pvp thing could be done. I would like to see server admins have their own lobbies etc... One thing I loved about minecraft was how server admins used lobbies to connect their different servers with different game modes on them etc...

Need some way to connect servers that want to participate in server vs server pvp events. skirmishes. And this should be able to be done after the world has started on the server. So some option that can be enabled. Not a portal placed in the world because that can be used to grief. Anyways... lol

• Exactly, don't want snow next to desert. So how to organize them? Buffer biomes? So a swamp between snow and desert? I mean I'll play whatever in RW, but if we will talk about not wanting snow next to desert, might as well do something that creates immersion right? Thus the equator thing. Also, north and south would have meaning. Anyways.. I'm repeating myself haha

Nope, not a swamp biome, it is really easy if you don't have static biomes in mind like minecraft. So for instance i run into a desert biome, it's very dry and hot. And it has many other properties, you can assign this properties a certian value, so maybe the attribute "temperature"=50 degree celcius. Let us think we have a number of this properties for each biome, so we can do 3 things:
    1. We can make several variants of one biome type, e.g. a desert which has very high temperature without any source of water or maybe we have a moderate desert, where we can find little sources of water
    2. We can so cluster our biomes and are able to set rules which biomes could be connected to eachother, e.g. a grass biome is allowed to be connected to a desert, a snow biome is not.
    3. We have this values, so we could say if a biome has a value between X and Y, the connected biome, has to have a certain value which is related to this.
    So we have the desert biome type, with the property "temperature" which must have an value between 40 and 60 degree and the value of the desert is located at 55° and we have a connected gras biome an grass biome type has even the property "temperature", which has a range from 12 til 30 degree. So as the biome gets generated a random number is defined, maybe 24°. What we can do now is to say the "border" of the biome is connected to the desert so make a temperature gradient from the center of the desert biome to the center of the grass biome. This results in the following if you pass the biome border the temperature will slowly goes down, like in the real world.

To get the best result you need to assign for your generated content even those clustered properties, for instance which vegetation, at which temperature and water availability grows.
    I hope you may understand, its to early to write good english :D

• What do you mean, an auto server search system?

Negative Meltron, Just a fast way to travel from server to server & go piss the hell out of other people instaid of weakening or own server type of game play!

Being open play & free to all will lead of nasty & violent crashes between players in the same server(World) so i would suggest going fight elsewhere
    & not be able to "Chat" directly to an opponent on game like this! Played over 3 years on Battle Pirates on Facebook and it can be hilarious to infiltrate
    somebody else sector & attack them within their own sector and piss them off on their own "Chat!"
    Being said, even tho it's always "Just a game!", it lead most of the time by real death threat & nasty verbal abuse in war and "PVP" games like that...
    So by having portal or fast access to other servers we can limit verbal abuse by players on the game by not having the same "Chat!! Different culture,
    Different planet, what ever language barrier it don't matter in fact!

• 1. We can make several variants of one biome type, e.g. a desert which has very high temperature without any source of water or maybe we have a moderate desert, where we can find little sources of water
    2. We can so cluster our biomes and are able to set rules which biomes could be connected to eachother, e.g. a grass biome is allowed to be connected to a desert, a snow biome is not.
    3. We have this values, so we could say if a biome has a value between X and Y, the connected biome, has to have a certain value which is related to this.
    So we have the desert biome type, with the property "temperature" which must have an value between 40 and 60 degree and the value of the desert is located at 55° and we have a connected gras biome an grass biome type has even the property "temperature", which has a range from 12 til 30 degree. So as the biome gets generated a random number is defined, maybe 24°. What we can do now is to say the "border" of the biome is connected to the desert so make a temperature gradient from the center of the desert biome to the center of the grass biome. This results in the following if you pass the biome border the temperature will slowly goes down, like in the real world.

To get the best result you need to assign for your generated content even those clustered properties, for instance which vegetation, at which temperature and water availability grows.
    I hope you may understand, its to early to write good english

No worries, your english is fine. Like I said, I'll play RW either way, more realistic biome placement or not, but I would much prefer a simulated earth with equator and polar regions with everything in between. I can picture what you mean in your example. My question is, why is that better then having biomes like in my idea? What are the benefits of having biomes placed more like Minecraft style, in blobs?

• @Zaco
    Minecraft places biome static no condition for placement of a biome so far i know. Minecraft as no smooth bordering of biomes you walk from snow into desert via one block and viceversa.

You idea is even nice, but it lacks at the point of randomization. I think then if you would walk around the equatour you are always in the same biome type area, i would like to have something "unexpected" in the world.

• Ah so you actually want random placement of biomes. I can understand that. Well from what Red has said, we might be getting a bit of both haha We shall see. I like the idea of following a biome and knowing you are going west or east... just for the feeling that you are on a planet. RW feels real in that way for me. I hope we both can be happy.

• My only goal is to later create an immersive Medieval/Fantasy World in creative mode.

Same here, I want to create a whole fantasy world with NPC's with quests etc.. then maybe put it up on a server for people to check out as a RP server. I'm hoping we can write dialog for NPCs and quests etc.. Fingers crossed!

• Problem int the endless part of the world but the height limit in this world! As i discovered will building my humongous Cheops pyramid witch was planed to be 460 block wide
    x at 296 blocks high..... Major fail and upset when i discovered that my pyramid would not have a top since i could only build at around 200 block high & after that the blocks
    are invisible to the eyes... ;-(

This could probably be fixed by making the world less deep and allow the person to build higher .

• Is there a possibility of unlimited height, or at least something that's greatly increased? One of the biggest problems with Minecraft was the height limitation. I want to be able to build a massive dungeon type thing, or perhaps a world tree. I'd like to have the potential for mountains that take days to climb, or even end up in "space", but only after going a very long way, and perhaps allow the height of the atmosphere to be configurable.

• I also tried to build the Cheops-Pyramid, but now at a height of about 200 blocks I have to stop an flatten the top of the pyramid, because I've reached the height limitation. For now, I have enough to do with building the catacombs inside and fill work out the bottom of the pyramid, because it is not always the same ground level. But for the future it would be nice to build higher to complete the top of the pyramid.

Red said in another thread, that in the future the max. height will be increased about 50 or 100 blocks. Hopefully it will be released soon. :-)

Merry Christmas to all!

• I also tried to build the Cheops-Pyramid, but now at a height of about 200 blocks I have to stop an flatten the top of the pyramid, because I've reached the height limitation. For now, I have enough to do with building the catacombs inside and fill work out the bottom of the pyramid, because it is not always the same ground level. But for the future it would be nice to build higher to complete the top of the pyramid.

Red said in another thread, that in the future the max. height will be increased about 50 or 100 blocks. Hopefully it will be released soon. :-)

Merry Christmas to all!

This is just my opinion but I see the world as being too deep. It would seem that if it were less deep , more could go in the sky. Of course the more voxels you generate , the slower the game runs.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!