Immersion-related suggestions

• Hello red51,

I bought an early access for your game and I am pleasantly surprised. The game reminds me a lot of Wurm Online, a MMORPG I enjoyed for many hundreds of hours. It has a similar ambiance and atmosphere, a similar rustic and nature proximity concern. I hope you will pursue active development for the game.

Having tested the game for an hour or two, some ideas came to my mind and I'd like to share them with you.

- Focusing on a specific setting could be beneficial for the game's image.
    So far, I get a medieval fantasy feeling out of your game, which is also the type of setting I prefer the most.
    There are many minecraft-inspired games out there, and many of them follow a vague, unclear setting mixing up future technologies and more ancient ones. I have seen dynamites, a flashlight and some glowsticks in some of the screenshots. If I were you, I would take these out and restrain the game to a pure medieval fantasy setting. I think doing so would strengthen the game image and carve it more sharply in the vast array of minecraft-inspired sandbox and general survival games. Concept would then stand out and gain a substance and a style of it's own.
    I think being strict on the setting also increase immersion, which I believe is one of your key goal with this game, judging from the level of effort you already put in achieving an immersive wilderness experience.

- Splitting the biomes in map-types, and allowing only one of these types per map would increase immersion.
    To compare again with minecraft and it's several clones, what those game fail to achieve is a feeling of regionality. You are walking in a desert, and suddenly, it's a rain forest. One kilometer in and then it's a ice wasteland. I think restricting biomes in map-types based on their climate would make every map more enjoyable. For example, deserts, savannahs, jungles could be merged in one map type. Then you would have traditional european biomes like forests, plains, mountains or steppes in another type. And there would be the hard, nordic cold maps with their pine forests, their mountains carved from ancient glaciers or their toundras.
    Doing so, you could even get some features or items exclusive to some specific map-types. Spices could be available only in the hot maps or agriculture restricted to the temperate, middle climate maps.
    This opens the door to a transfer system between maps, where a player could voyage between the three using maybe a particular vehicle (maybe a boat you interact with to spawn on another map). The inventory would be kept, and the world around the player would suddenly feel much more vast. Pairing those features with the multiplayer functionality would get very interesting for factions and civilisations establishments.
    Overall, there would be a strong feeling of regionality in the game.

- High mountains and stretched plains are the key to geological realism and immersion.
    If the biomes span on large distances, demanding for example more than 20 minutes to be crossed, this will, once again, increase the feeling of regionality.
    If the mountains are strong and high, clearly defined, but scarcer throughout the world, they become more memorable and instantly more interesting.
    The key for geological immersion is to get the players to be able to organize their environment. For example, Minecraft fails at this, because it's biome distribution is completly chaotic and therefore lack any noteworthy feature. If you want players in your game to name mountains, rivers and regions, biomes need to be large and mountains need to be rare but homogeneous. Doing so, players will get familiar with the regions they settle in, they will start to tame it and organize it, establish roads and put names on memorable features of their environment. If the biome change everytime a player walks 100 steps in a direction, he will never develop a bond with it's surrounding, because it's too unstable and shifting.

- The field of view in the game is a little too small in my opinion.
    That may just be me, but especially in the forests, it's like I am looking through binoculars.

Anyway, I think you (or you guys ? I don't know how many of you are working on this) did a great job. The basic structure of the game is already there, which is satisfying to see in alpha releases.
    I am eager to see where this game will head. I think it has a lot of potential.

• Hello Wsye,

first of all, thanks for buying the game, and thanks for your suggestions :) Of course we will pursue active development for the game, the next update will arrive today or at the latest tomorrow.

Focusing on a specific setting could be beneficial for the game's image.

Yes, we already discussed this matter. But our goal was to offer the possibility to invent more advanced technologies step by step. Beginning the game in medieval times, but learning to craft better tools over time, inventing electricity etc., and end up in modern times. We especially want to focus on the modern time. Not futuristic at all, but modern stuff like computers, electricity, vehicles etc. Restraining the game to a pure medieval setting will discard all those features...
    At the moment, you're able to craft several modern items like glowsticks, clocks, compasses etc, as well as typical medieval items like swords, battleaxes. This will change with the time, bringing a more clear structure in the availability of items (as mentioned: you can only craft modern items after inventing them).

Splitting the biomes in map-types, and allowing only one of these types per map would increase immersion.

Thats a good point. Of course we also don't like phenomenons like ice wastelands next to a desert. We definitely want to avoid this. But I'm afraid that it might get boring if you only have one biome type per map? ?( Originally, we wanted to include several different biomes per maps, but making them quite large, and taking care that they have feasible transitions.
    But I like the second part of your suggestion, offering the ability to travel between maps. We planned something similar for the future, offering the possibility to travel between different servers (multiplayer-only feature). Anyway, we will discuss that feature ;)

High mountains and stretched plains are the key to geological realism and immersion.

Yes, I totally agree with that point. But this has some technical limitations: Since the world is procedurally generated, it's not so easy to include really "unique" landscape elements, than in a "man made" world. But we will do our best to make the landscape as varied as possible ;)

The field of view in the game is a little too small in my opinion.

Really? Okay, we will take a look at it and try some different fov's.
    Btw., you can also change the fov for your game: There is a "config.properties" file in your game's folder. You can open it with a texteditor, and look for a key called "graphic_fov". This value can be changed (default: 45).

Anyway, I think you (or you guys ? I don't know how many of you are working on this) did a great job. The basic structure of the game is already there, which is satisfying to see in alpha releases.
    I am eager to see where this game will head. I think it has a lot of potential.

Thanks for your compliment! :thumbup: I'm glad that you like the game!
    Btw., the programming team consists of two people (including myself) ^^

• Heyo JIW team!

I bought the early access yesterday on mac!
    Wsye summed up what i'm thinking about Concept!

Anyway, I think you (or you guys ? I don't know how many of you are working on this) did a great job. The basic structure of the game is already there, which is satisfying to see in alpha releases.I am eager to see where this game will head. I think it has a lot of potential.

I do agree, you surprised me with that unbelievable landscape, those scary caves and whatever.. You're doing good and i just hope that you guys will carry on that badass project!

Also, i will do my best to report some bugs i met :)

In clear, Thank you!

• Hi Will,

thanks man! ;) It's good to hear that you like the game! :thumbup:

We are always grateful to receive all bug reports! There is still a lot to do, but we're working on it. The next update will not only bring bugfixes, but also new content. Expect the update in the course of this week ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!