Making this game stand out from the crowd

• I already stated on another topic that i think this game has potential. but i am becoming very concerned as to if this potential is really going to be used.

what i mean is that i am a bit afraid that this game in the end becomes just another sandbox, and has nothing different from others.
    in regards to crafting, for example, all and every other sandbox game handles this through a GUI (with a few exceptions), but i dont think this is the only way.

if the devs are interested in hearing more about my ideas and concepts, ill be happy to elaborate more.

• well, then my idea in regards to crafting is the following:

instead of using full GUI based crafting, the player should be able to place the actual items on top of the crafting table, and with a tool, like a hammer for example, he would hit the pile of items on top of the table. if there is a combination of these, the game just pops the items out and the resulting item in. and for more basic items (like the table itself, and the hammer) i think a tree stump could work as a "temporary crafting table" as in if you use it 3 to 4 times its surface wears off. the tree stump would also not need the hammer, of course.

• That's an interesting approach. I agree that this kind of interaction with the world is definitely better than a simple GUI. But this kind of crafting also brings some problems: For example, how do you determine which variation (i.e. the woodtype of an object) you're going to craft, since all variations use the same ingredients (in most cases it's simply lumber)? We already thought about different sorts of wood (so you need the right type of wood in your inventory to craft the equivalent object), but we came to the conclusion, that this will make the game too complicated...
    Another problem would be what happens when several items/objects have the same recipe? Our goal is to have a big varity of different objects (furniture etc.), and it's nearly unavoidable that different objects use the same recipe (also since most furniture is made out of wood).

At least we're planning to introduce such kind of interaction for the cooking&baking-feature. Perhaps we can also implement something similar for forging.

• in regards of simplicity, i think that oversimplificating a sandbox game would take a bit of its essence. on the subject of similar recipes and furniture, i dont think it is realistic to fully build a piece of furniture and then simply take it and place it. i like and prefer the approach of the space engineers game, where you have a menu of possible blocks and constructs, you select what you want to build, then you place the frame, which costs a bit of material (which is taken from the inv) then you can progressively build the block on field.

• Yeah I totally agree that oversimplification is bad for a game. Speaking as a gamer myself, I always prefered realistic games, and I disliked it when games became too causal. But on the other hand, during development we also realized that it's definitely a bad idea when everything in the game becomes too complicated - a lot of players will lose their interest in the game when it takes a very long time until they see results.
    The approach you've mentioned is planned for bigger objects: Siege engines, oil rigs, vehicles etc. When it is implemented, we can perhaps expand it for all objects.

• Mhh can't say what I'd prefer... this approach of progressively building could be pretty cool. however, perhaps it's really annoying when creating every single furniture requires several steps... don't know ?(

"I wish I had a dollar for every time I spent a dollar, because then, I'd have all my money back" :P

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!