Object: Time Machine

• This is a bit outrageous… but I had a lot of fun going through backups of an older world I have been working on for a few months.
    It felt really weird walking around in those older versions of that world, as if I was traveling back in time.

Knowing that there's so much in the pipeline for the game right now, it is very unlikely that a feature like this will see the light of day any time soon. I just thought I'd throw that in… :D

• Sounds very interesting :D I'm sure it's a pretty cool feature to see the very early days of your worlds! But as you already expected, this feature will only be available in the future ^^
    From a technical point of view, it would be relatively easy to restore the "initial state" of the world (before you've built anything). So that would be no problem. But if you want to visit different states of your world to see the beginnings of all your buildings, that would be more complicated... We would have to store each "state" of the world. Though our worlds require extremely small hard disk space, we have to specify how often the world should be saved (e.g. a daily save still produces a lot of extra data).

• I am not sure about an in game object, but this is a key feature for multiplayer server administration.

Being able to setup snapshots on a schedule as part of the config would give server admins a basic fallback system for dealing with Griefers.
    Advanced features would be setting a limit on how many snapshots (auto delete the oldest), only doing a new snapshot if there were changes since the last(log note to know the job ran), and being able to setup multiple snapshot rules i.e. every hour, keep 24 and Daily keep 7, etc

This is a feature that usually has to be added on and is not very stylish so has a problem of keeping maintainers for these mods, so is a constant issues for server admins.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!