Game Modes

• Hello,

I played Minecraft since Alpha, played Terraria and a truck load of other games of that kind (survival sandbox).
    There is one thing that I always wanted and never really saw it in any games of that type before.

Game modes (or more options when creating a world or managing a server? 7days2die/Don't Starve style?)

Some players wants to do creative, others wants to focus on PVE or PVP and that is totally fine. I think most of this genre of games offer the option to do this or enforces it on their users.
    Some players will prefer fighting against monsters, zombies, animals, tribes, witches, demon... name it. But most of the games focus on a single theme of enemies.

I would like to see a possibility to select one or multiple game modes/enemies at the same time.

I personally prefer the zombie universe in a survival environment because of the chance of being infected, scarce resources and restless enemies. (Dayz, 7days2die)
    But to make a successful zombie theme within a PVP environment, the zombies needs to be more dangerous than annoying or else, the players will prefer to kill each other over resources instead of helping each other survive to get more resources easily.

At the same time I also like to survive against a nature itself. (Frozen State, The long dark, Starforge)
    Bad weather, searching for ways to generate food, dangerous environment like steep cliffs, Volcanos.
    There is also wild life, both on earth and in the water.

There is a tribe theme that is also fun to play against.(The Forest)

All those themes are pretty fun but they are all different games. What if I want to play against Tribes and zombies but have the wild life on passive or play against all of them with PVP thrown on the pile.

What I am suggesting is that when creating a map or loading an existing map, I would like to have the option of toggling if I want that type of PVE NPC on my map and what behavior they should have.

Here is an example of what the menu would "Look like"

NPC

Behavior (drop down menus)

TribesAggressive
    ZombiesAggressive
    WildlifePassive
    MonstersOff
    WerewolfFriendly
    Village/peasantsNeutral

This type of choices would make the game much more attractive,versatile and would attract more people.
    It would most probably be expanded by the community through mods and/or steam workshop.

I know that this is a lot to implement in a game.
    I work also work in the game industry but unfortunately not in a position where I can give my input on what would be nice to see in a game. X/

I know this post is long. If you have read up to here thanks a lot :D

Please participate in suggesting themes that could be added in the long run of this game or voice your opinion about this suggestion.

• This is an awesome idea! I like it, really :thumbup:
    I'm afraid there is only one problem: It is - as you already expected - a lot to implement. It requires to have a lot of different assets (every theme should feature enough different Npc, otherwise it will not be interesting), and the individual behaviour of every different type of Npc will be time-consuming, too.
    I don't want to say "no" to this feature, since I really like it, but if we implement something like that, it will take a long time until we reach that point. First we have to work on so many other things that are missing or still not running perfectly ;)

• Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. :D

I agree that this would take a long time but I also agree with Campbell.
    Take your time, this feature would be really worth the wait in the long run.

I think it would be wise to start with the original idea of PVE content and here and there work on designing and implementing the other NPC group over the course of the project.
    Or maybe work on tools to create a NPC group first (Models, Animations set, Audio set, Stats, equipment and behavior type), use this tool to create your original PVE content and then release the tools for mods/steam workshop once it is deemed decent for the community.

• I think it would be wise to start with the original idea of PVE content and here and there work on designing and implementing the other NPC group over the course of the project.
    Or maybe work on tools to create a NPC group first (Models, Animations set, Audio set, Stats, equipment and behavior type), use this tool to create your original PVE content and then release the tools for mods/steam workshop once it is deemed decent for the community.

Sounds like a very good approach! :) We will see in which way we manage this ;)

• The game ideas i would like to see, beyond survival aspects, would be
    1.) Designated worlds. If you wanted one created world to stay medieval you could designate a technology cap before creating the world. But if you wanted cars and electricity (as seen to be added in game in the near future) you could set the technology cap to and age either modern, or to and age of horse drawn wagons, also turn off or on fantasy aspects like creatures and magic (if implemented).It would be fun to have several different world different enemies.
    2.) Armor. I feel once monsters are implemented there will be a louder out cry for battle systems and inevitably armor.
    3.)Iron should obviously be mined not having an anvil gives you access to all weapons/tools. But I'm sure that is something in the works.
    4.)Farming/planting. It would require that you can level out the ground a little more accurately than the rake.
    5.) Boats and sea/lake travel. Nets, fishing, sea battles.
    6.) I need a bow and arrows for hunting/enemies. Furthermore startled prey for hunting immersion and leather and bone crafting capabilities.
    7.)Food... probably obvious.

• 1. That was already suggested previously, unfortunately, we haven't implemented that yet. But it is in the works :)
    2. Armor is coming as soon as we have reworked our playermodel (then we will also introduce different clothing etc.)
    3. Iron is not in the game yet, that's the reason you can craft it for free at the anvil. Once it's implemented, it has to be mined and smelted
    4. It's planned. The rake is intended to smooth out the terrain, we don't have a tool yet that is really intended to level the ground. But for farming stuff, we're planning to implement a hoe
    5. Hopefully it won't take too long until we have water implemented. Once water is in the game, we will take care of fishing, boats etc.
    6. It's our intention to implement that :)
    7. Yes, food is planned and hopefully coming soon

• I just hope that when you implement something for flattening the ground, you use something that actually makes sense such as:

A ground tamper:
    Because that's what it's actually MADE for. :D I've played tons of crafting/building/survival type games and so far I haven't seen a single one use an actual ground tamper for flattening the ground. This would be easy to model and fits in perfectly with the tools already available to you from the beginning. :)

Crystal

• ?
    A 'tamper' is used to compress already flat ground, so that you can put something on top (ie, bricks or "pavers") without worrying about any settling. We already have a Rake that smooths out ground (and rocks).
    But I see what you're eluding to- I think you'd like a tool that flattens out a broader area (like to build a house on, etc.). I could go for that.

(That title is miss leading, BTW).

• ?
    A 'tamper' is used to compress already flat ground, so that you can put something on top (ie, bricks or "pavers") without worrying about any settling. We already have a Rake that smooths out ground (and rocks).
    But I see what you're eluding to- I think you'd like a tool that flattens out a broader area (like to build a house on, etc.). I could go for that.

Okay. I'm just going to go over here and hide in the corner now.

• Actually, Crystal wasn't taking about a different "game mode", just an idea for a different tool. I don't know whether she miss-labeled the thread, or you decided to talk about 'game modes'.
    Doesn't matter.

I wouldn't mind a Quest Mode (if nothing else it would start off being a good tutorial), but the only problem I have with quests is that they end. I mean, quests don't go on forever, and there isn't an 'endless' number of quests. Eventually you "win" (like it's possible to 'win' a sandbox game), and some people like the idea of 'winning'. Course, as it is, there's no winning- but no losing either.

I do agree it would take a lot of work and maybe cool to add in the future.

• quest mode

I don't want to promise too much, but that is indeed planned: It's our intention to let you create custom quests in creative mode (which will be some kind of an "ingame editor"). We hope that the community will create a lot of different quests then (we really want to make the creative mode as easy as possible, but ofc also offer LUA scripting at that point [so that advanced users can do really crazy stuff^^]).

But still a (very) long way to go, there are currently a lot of features on the todo-list with a higher priority ;)

• I don't want to promise too much, but that is indeed planned: It's our intention to let you create custom quests in creative mode (which will be some kind of an "ingame editor"). We hope that the community will create a lot of different quests then (we really want to make the creative mode as easy as possible, but ofc also offer LUA scripting at that point [so that advanced users can do really crazy stuff^^]).

But still a (very) long way to go, there are currently a lot of features on the todo-list with a higher priority ;)

Awesome to hear that :D

• Actually, Crystal wasn't taking about a different "game mode", just an idea for a different tool. I don't know whether she miss-labeled the thread, or you decided to talk about 'game modes'.
    Doesn't matter.

I wouldn't mind a Quest Mode (if nothing else it would start off being a good tutorial), but the only problem I have with quests is that they end. I mean, quests don't go on forever, and there isn't an 'endless' number of quests. Eventually you "win" (like it's possible to 'win' a sandbox game), and some people like the idea of 'winning'. Course, as it is, there's no winning- but no losing either.

I do agree it would take a lot of work and maybe cool to add in the future.

I didn't mislabel anything as I was not the OP :P For whatever reason something made me think of the tool suggestion and so I suggested it in my reply.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!