Upcoming: Biomes update

• Red ,
    This update should have broken this up into smaller steps. Releasing such a huge update at one time can introduce a myriad of issues in the code base. A bunch of small step updates in the future would be better then waiting several months for a big one. Also it is easier to get 1 small piece of code working before moving to the next feature. I made that mistake when I wrote Spaceventure 1 on the Amiga. I Tried to cram it all in at once and wound up almost rewriting the whole game. I tossed out weeks and weeks of code and that is when I learned to do it 1 feature at a time :) Spaceventure 1 was released in 1986 as shareware on the Amiga computer and over 5000 people registered it. I never rewrote it for the PC because it was written in a language called AMOS. I have tried to sit down and rewrite it several times but I simply cant recreate it.

• This update should have broken this up into smaller steps. Releasing such a huge update at one time can introduce a myriad of issues in the code base.

Yes, that's partly true. We could have put some features into separate updates ^^ But on the other hand, some of those things were necessary, e.g. we had to implement new plants for the new biomes, and since they're looking completely different than the current ones (in terms of detail), we had to replace the existing ones too - otherwise it would result in an ugly mishmash =O
    But having more time than usual was also a good opportunity to work on some smaller features and to make the game more user-friendly. During the regular update interval, we usually don't have enough time for these things...

• Yes, that's partly true. We could have put some features into separate updates ^^ But on the other hand, some of those things were necessary, e.g. we had to implement new plants for the new biomes, and since they're looking completely different than the current ones (in terms of detail), we had to replace the existing ones too - otherwise it would result in an ugly mishmash =O
    But having more time than usual was also a good opportunity to work on some smaller features and to make the game more user-friendly. During the regular update interval, we usually don't have enough time for these things...

I know what you are going through, I have been there myself and will likely have the same thing happen to me some day in the future.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!