New Functionality Planning

• I already posted this in my server thread, but it is more appropriate here as others could benefit from this. I am planning on creating the following:

• A player group system allowing players to form groups and the leader (the one who formed it) can turn on and off friendly fire within that group.
    • A friend system where players can friend each other and turn on or off friendly fire between friends.
    • Enhancement to the AreaProtection system where individual players can allow their friends and others to access their protected area, or ban ones who they don't want to have access. I am also going to limit the number of areas to 1 and the size of the area so that players don't abuse it by claiming half the map. This will act as a whitelist of sorts where players who aren't allowed in the area will not be able to enter it, and players who are already in the area will get teleported out if the owner bans them, or removes them from the allowed list.
    • Possibly a clan system allowing some of the same functionality as the group system and area protection system only on a clan scale. An individual would be able to claim territory within a clan territory, but clan members would be allowed to visit the member's territory. Clan areas would be larger than the largest player area. The clan system would have a much more robust hierarchy than the group system. Each rank within a clan will have a different set of permissions defined as roles, and roles can be assigned and removed to and from ranks (e.g. the ability to grant clan land access, the ability to promote, demote, etc.).
    • A criminal system where if a player attacks another player he/she would be assigned a score between a scale represented by evil to neutral, to good (maybe a 100 point scale). This would be of use in future scripts that could punish or make KOS the criminal.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. This should be fun.

• great ideas :)
    i will like to extend and ask for a mafia style for a server known as ganglords (I OWN DOMAIN FOR IT ) too :) hehhee
    my old test srver name

ASPYRE HOSTING ~~~~~~
    FAIR< FRIENDLY AND FUTILE

• It would also be nice to come up with an Oxide type of plugin system for this game to handle managing plugin versioning and updating from a central repository. That would take some work though because it would involve creating something like a Rising World plugin repository site. Maybe call it Rising World Sinks. haha! Just trying to play on something paralleled with "Rust Oxide" hehe. If you aren't familiar with Oxide, it is a plug-in management/engine for Rust. They modified the lua.dll, and the equivalent for this game would be luaj, which is open-source. So if any mods to that are needed, it can be done. I'll have to find out exactly why Oxide needed to modify lua. It may not be needed in this case.

• By the way, if anyone is looking for a Lua IDE, Lua Development Tools seems pretty good so far. I haven't tried remote debugging yet, and that may not be possible from the game server. Not sure if they have a debug port running. You can get it from here: http://www.eclipse.org/ldt/

• Wait this is java. You can start the debug port yourself. I'll post that as soon as I remember how to do that. It's been a while. Then again, we are wanting to debug Lua scripts, not LuaJ. Hmm. I'll have to research this one.

• Tomorrow I will pump out a MOTD script (message of the day) for when players join the server. That one will be super easy, and you can list your server info and site info in there, as well as rules, etc. It will be a label in the center of the screen that displays for a time. Another command "/motd" will allow them to display it again in case they missed it.

• I will also see about creating a /sethome where it will take your location and create you a spawn. You can teleport to those spots.

/sethome [name] - Set a spawn point and give it a name.
    /home [name] - teleport to a home that you named.
    /listhomes - Lists all homes you have saved, along with their x,z coordinates.

• Thanks. Some of these ideas I am just ripping from other scripts from other games. Lol! I am thinking about creating a script plugin system and repository site like the Oxide system for rust. I like how they have Oxide as the script manager that ties all of the scripting updates and versioning together. You create an account in the repository, and when you download a script you are notified through email whenever that script is updated. I don't know that I will have time to write site software for that, but hopefully an experienced php developer will jump up and take that tall order.

I am going to create a simple script repository this weekend and post my work-in-progress scripts there and finished scripts. I have posted here a list of threads from scripting ideas that I will be planning. A lot of these are really dependent on current game functionality and the future plans of the devs. Some of these scripts may not be necessary if the game already has the functionality. https://www.thedeadlands.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=22

• If we have access to ray-cast functions from Lua (and I don't know yet if we do), I wonder if we could create a Lua scripted sign system. Place an object that represents a sign, like a road sign, draw a collider box around it, just like the area protection script draws the area collider, then label it and give a description that will pop up when the player looks at it, or maybe looks at it and pushes the action key.

• If we have access to ray-cast functions from Lua (and I don't know yet if we do), I wonder if we could create a Lua scripted sign system. Place an object that represents a sign, like a road sign, draw a collider box around it, just like the area protection script draws the area collider, then label it and give a description that will pop up when the player looks at it, or maybe looks at it and pushes the action key.

That's a good idea! We will add this function to LUA :) Indeed, this would make such things you described possible. We will add functions to create collisionbodies, and a function to do ray casts against them.

I am setting up a new repository site for Rising World mod development. It is http://www.risingworldmods.com. It's not set up yet, but will be soon. I am looking at using a combination of Joomla and Remository.

Oh, that's cool! We should link that on our homepage :thumbup:

• Awesome Red51. You guys are a pretty awesome team!

It's going to take a bit to get that repository set up. I am unfamiliar with Remository. Hopefully it will give us what we need.

• Awesome Red51. You guys are a pretty awesome team!

It's going to take a bit to get that repository set up. I am unfamiliar with Remository. Hopefully it will give us what we need.

Thanks! ^^
    No need to hurry, we are also still working on the wiki, I guess without the wiki most players won't start writing a LUA script at all^^

• Is there an event triggered when opening doors and chests? I am wondering if we can assign owners to objects through lua, kind of like in the AreaProtection. Only owners and whoever they invite will be able to open the doors and chests made by the owners. Or maybe a PIN system like in some similar games.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!