Changelog 2015-11-11: Signs, grass replanting, more ores

• lol duuhhh it's an alpha game ( means currently in development ) :P

It's a steam early access game, alpha, beta, or anything else. Some such games have long pauses in development and continue, others cease development altogether. It's a gamble. I've had good results from most of the early access games I've bought, and some of the non steam alphas and betas I've signed up for over the past twenty five years . . . but it isn't a "duh" situation to say you are glad the game is still in development when you haven't heard any news about it for a while and casually check to forums to see how/if it is progressing.

• To give a perspective, this is Skyrim's team and the game took about 4 years of development, and this is Fallout 4 which took a little over 4 years also. Whereas Rising World is just about 2 years old with only but a fraction of each of these teams working on it.

My point is not discourage people nor diminish anyone or anything in the development of this game. My point is to show what game development is. As a programmer myself, with experience in teaching, I have often saw students coming in thinking making games is easy. And I have often seen people mistakenly thinking programming is simple; it is neither a straight forward thing or a fast process. It requires a lot of sacrifice and dedication. Something that, I can assure you, only a very little amount of people possess nowadays. And I'd only wish those complaining (I'm not pointing any fingers here as this community is quite understanding) could live in the shoes of those making games before complaining. While only a few are actually right, most comments are ill-informed and everything but objective.

Now, @red51 did say that he will never cease working on this game... at least not until it reaches a final release anyway. So, it may take whatever time it takes. The best thing anyone can do is continuing supporting the team and continue giving positive feedbacks. :)

• It's a steam early access game, alpha, beta, or anything else. Some such games have long pauses in development and continue, others cease development altogether. It's a gamble. I've had good results from most of the early access games I've bought, and some of the non steam alphas and betas I've signed up for over the past twenty five years . . . but it isn't a "duh" situation to say you are glad the game is still in development when you haven't heard any news about it for a while and casually check to forums to see how/if it is progressing.

which is why an epic " duuuuuuhh" seems like a nice fitting response :rolleyes: Forums got all kinds of clues and information about how very much " in development " the game still is. I don't see why my response wouldn't be correct.

---

high five to @LordFoobar ! awesome description of how it may seem real slow or even halted development to some. perspective is everything towards understanding!

• If you check the update history on Steam, it looks like there's been on average two updates a month since last December when it was released as Alpha. That's not bad at all. I think many of us are getting antsy for the biomes and water updates so it makes time seem to pass more slowly. :)

• Per a recent coment by him, I believe so. Also, I think Red is no longer making update anouncements because of some issues that happened on previous release days so I'm guessing that the update will just hit without warning.

I hope he releases them soon , I am beginning to see a lot of disappointed people. The Biomes were announced 6 months ago and are now 3 months late. I have moved on to several other games until these updates get done . With a single developer working on them and Christmas and family gatherings coming up , I do not think they will make it any time soon. A lot of the people that were making rising world videos have now stopped until the game gets updated. There was a great deal of interest in this game but recently things have been dropping off until the biomes update gets released. I am guessing it will still be a while before we see them.

• I hope he releases them soon , I am beginning to see a lot of disappointed people.

I see it too but I'm not one of them. Antsy, yes, but not disappointed. As I posted above, the average for updates seems to be every two weeks and like Lord Foobar said, the biomes and water updates are really big updates to be made. The game is early release and the purchase of the game was not very expensive so I'm not disappointed at all.

• I see it too but I'm not one of them. Antsy, yes, but not disappointed. As I posted above, the average for updates seems to be every two weeks and like Lord Foobar said, the biomes and water updates are really big updates to be made. The game is early release and the purchase of the game was not very expensive so I'm not disappointed at all.

I like the game and I am disappointed in all of the delays. I am not upset at red. Everyone has their own way of doing things. From the pattern that I have seen develop over the last several months, I now realize that this game is going to take a very, very long time to finish. I no longer expect major updates in days or weeks , but rather in months or longer.

• @Trillnar as I said, these updates are quite big and you cannot begin to know what kind of issues red and the team has to go through coming from users.... because they do have to deal with customer support, too! The majority of people have a mentality of entitlement and do not know nor care to know what's going on beyond their little noses. What if I tell you that biomes are ready since September, but the decision was made to hold it back a while longer until certain pre-requisites are pushed first?

As for water, I am very interested myself to know how this will be implemented, as not much has been made regarding voxel water with JMonkeyEngine. You are right about seeing the next updates in terms of months... but only these updates; the next ones should probably return to a bi-weekly basis then. :)

• @Trillnar as I said, these updates are quite big and you cannot begin to know what kind of issues red and the team has to go through coming from users.... because they do have to deal with customer support, too! The majority of people have a mentality of entitlement and do not know nor care to know what's going on beyond their little noses. What if I tell you that biomes are ready since September, but the decision was made to hold it back a while longer until certain pre-requisites are pushed first?

As for water, I am very interested myself to know how this will be implemented, as not much has been made regarding voxel water with JMonkeyEngine. You are right about seeing the next updates in terms of months... but only these updates; the next ones should probably return to a bi-weekly basis then. :)

Have a look at Astral Terra (they use unity and Astral Terra is also voxel based) if you dig in the water , it flows into the hole you dug . So if you Dig a canal the water will fill it. I do not think the water flows there. I am not to sure about the Jmonkey engine and if it has a water function or not. Most voxel games use non flowing water in them. In Space engineers the water is just a blue block like grass is here. As far as the biomes , I do not think they were ready. The screen shots we saw , especially the winter ones looked rather primitive. I think if they were ready , red would have released them by now. But you never know what a developer is thinking. Anyhow I do look foreword to their release, Whenever that may be.

• @Trillnar I actually had a chat with red on the subject so, yes, I know what I'm talking about when I say they are implemented but not released. And this for the reason you so kindly mentioned (the textures need rework), among other things.

As for Unity, I am aware of features of that engine. I am also aware of some games having water being like terrain types (not blocks, actually...) and I am not sure how red will implement this feature in Rising World. But I know JMonkeyEngine too, and I can tell you that voxel water have been discussed for quite some times, now, and most of what I read about that particular subject is that it is not part of the engine yet, so each project need to implement and adapt the technique to their own projects.

But you never know what a developer is thinking.

Somehow, I find that offensive and misguided as I am telling everyone all the time that I am a developer and that I'm often explaining why this and why that. Do you really think that programmers are egocentric selfish people, or something? I am not the type to start insult nor enter silly fights, but come on! Don't talk about things you clearly have no experience with.

• I have been a programmer and a developer since 1977, I started with a TRS 80 Model 1 and I have owned so many different computers over the years , I have lost count. And all programmers are different and think differently, you never know what they are thinking :) I am neither egocentric or selfish. I have Given away a lot of games over the years, Try googling Supermatch, Supermatch Christmas , Follow the leader, Secret square. I do guess I have a little experience and no I am not mad with you. :)

• Have a look at Astral Terra (they use unity and Astral Terra is also voxel based) if you dig in the water , it flows into the hole you dug .

You know Astral Terra just buyed their voxel terrain with flowing water from Unity asset store? I don´t think you can compare to Space Engineers, because they made their engine themselves

• You know Astral Terra just buyed their voxel terrain with flowing water from Unity asset store? I don´t think you can compare to Space Engineers, because they made their engine themselves

There are a lot of games and developers out there that get their artwork and other game assets from third parties. It is quite normal.

• I loved playing minecraft, but I love this so much more. you just get so much more freedom in this, placing things however u want and it opens the doors to a crap load of inventions, everything flows in this game and I love it. keep up the good work. any idea of what we can expect in the next update??? :)

• There are a lot of games and developers out there that get their artwork and other game assets from third parties. It is quite normal.

But it is different when a developer buys some assets like models, or when he buy the complete game mechanic or program code. I am no programmer but I have tried Unity and even could create a simple game. where is the efford when developers don´t program their games anymore and just buy all pieces in the assetstore? there are games on Steam which are only a reselled Unity asset (Uncrowded for example), this is total scam <X
    I have full respect for developers when they create something theirself and not buy their full game in an asset store. Red said the voxel terrain they use is completly self made (kudos), so I understand things take longer than in a game like Astral. Even kudos to the Blockscape developer, he did the complete voxel terrain himself too and did great work (but no mercy for 1 year silence :thumbdown: )

• But it is different when a developer buys some assets like models, or when he buy the complete game mechanic or program code. I am no programmer but I have tried Unity and even could create a simple game. where is the efford when developers don´t program their games anymore and just buy all pieces in the assetstore? there are games on Steam which are only a reselled Unity asset (Uncrowded for example), this is total scam <X
    I have full respect for developers when they create something theirself and not buy their full game in an asset store. Red said the voxel terrain they use is completly self made (kudos), so I understand things take longer than in a game like Astral. Even kudos to the Blockscape developer, he did the complete voxel terrain himself too and did great work (but no mercy for 1 year silence :thumbdown: )

Voxel farm , Speedtree and others are widely used to create foliage and voxel landscapes in games. You still have to write all of the underlying code to make it all work. Most programmers are just that , code writers , All of the pretty stuff is usually left to the graphics artists although some coders actually do create graphics too. A voxel is basically just a square , you have to texture it with an image, and that is where the graphics artist comes in , you then have to smooth the square (probably with a mesh ). Then there are the sounds which are also created by artists. It is more then just coding, a game is a lot of things. that requires more then just coding to assemble. It takes a lot to write any game. I do not know where red got the tree models or if he did them all himself , Likewise with the sounds and graphics for the animals. You can ask red that :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!