Game crash to desktop - Different java parameters and conclusion

• In the most part this is probably related to Game Crashing Upon Starting
    So if you are not interest in further information as this has been answered before close this window now ;)

First of all the error log:
    http://www.xup.in/dl,16682792/hs_err_pid6192.log/

You will notice that this log is quite larger than usual logs.
    At the bottom you can see that I started RW with different Java parameters.

The story behind was that I noticed that after a while of exploring the world the game became laggy, so every few seconds it stopped reacting for about half to one second. My first thought was RAM and CG. So I started testing the game with other GCs and more memory. The G1GC in combination with the MaxGCPauseMillis parameter turned out to delay the "becoming-laggy" behavior a while but then the memory still runs full. Anyways before this happens I notice some mini-freezes which may be those 50ms for garbage collection.
    With increasing the total amount of memory for the game I can play quite a while without having to rejoin to clear the memory.

What I else noticed was after testing this was that the frame rate decreases with the amount of exploring I did within one session. It seems like that the game keeps most parts of the world I visited in memory and tries to keep up calculating stuff there. In the debug console I saw that when I disconnected after such a situation it unloaded quite a lot of junk before closing the connection at all.

To be honest I am not really sure if this makes sense at all. What I can say is that it turned out to work well for me at least.

Thanks for reading.

• Your game crash is caused by an OpenGL bug in the current AMD driver generation. Only workaround at the moment is to go to the game directory, open the "config.properties" file and set "graphic_instancing" to false. That should solve the issue or at least reduce the crash frequency.
    About the Garbage Collector: We had the best experience with the concurrent -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC gc (which is the default argument for the Windows-Standalone and Steam version), but maybe other garbage collectors bring better results in your case. In terms of performance you can eventually also try the -XX:+AggressiveOpts argument.
    Unfortuantely there is a memory leak in the current version of the game, clogging up the memory when exploring the world. This will be fixed with the next update ;)

• As written I am aware of the crash reason, the ATI thing ;).

Well as far as I know -XX:+AggressiveOpts has been used in Java6 to enable experimental new optimization methods which have been enabled as default in Java7, so it is pretty much deprecated.

• The -XX:+AggressiveOpts argument should be supposed to enable experimental optimization methods. Even though it was already introduced in Java 5 or 6, I understand that it is generally used to test new optimizations, regardless of the current Java version. Maybe I'm wrong about that, unfortunately Oracles whitepaper about that is pretty much outdated ^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!