New crafting stations and other ideas

• Here's a collection of thoughts for crafting stations or crafting station improvements I've had, mostly since the biomes update

• A spindle for turning wool into yarn which would then be used in the loom
    • A wheel for creating clay pots
    • A smelting furnace or oven variation made of sandstone (to make use of all the sandstone found in the desert which can't be used yet)
    • Removable trays in the smelting furnace which can be swapped. There should be a tray for smelting sand into glass and possibly extracting silicon from the sand to create solar panels for powering lights and such. Another tray could be used for making bricks out of clay
    • The appearance of the Tier II workstation should look more like a machining station (unless that's planned as a Tier III )
    • A wood burning stove or something similar for cooking and heating
    • A mortar and pestle for grinding herbs (if they are ever implemented) for use in cooking or potions. It looks like goldenrod and lavender was already added with the biomes update. Additional plants, and wheat would be nice. mortar could be used to get flour from wheat.
    • Some kind of tool to collect rubber from trees, or possibly the ability to collect rubber from goldenrod (assuming that is goldenrod and not wheat added recently). Rubber could be used for industrial needs in the game, such as tires for cars.

Also, some other suggestions:

• it would be nice to turn logs into lumber on the sawbench instead of just in personal crafting or on the standard workbench
    • Not all blocks can be rotated sideways. Only one of the stair variations has this option.
    • Sandstone, rather than normal stone, found in the desert should be usable to craft sandstone blocks on the blockbench
    • Cutting a tree down should yield a trunk (e.g. a long log) instead of small pieces that you have to chase down a hill. The trunk can be broken down into pieces and saplings (perhaps the tree can have inventory where you remove saplings seperately) if needed but I figured the trunk could be useful for making a log cabin
    • I noticed in the winter biome that the temperature is the same regardless of depth. If this could vary, perhaps it could determine the appearance of plants. For example, the plants in my underground garden still have the snow-frosted appearance of those on the surface.
    • Adding gravel in places other than close to hell. I guess this might change with static water since gravel is typically found around rivers in real life. :)
    • if electrical wire is going to be available at some point then it would be cool to be able to craft nails in order to hang wire along corridors
    • There should be an old style lamp post.
    • A light similar to the ones made of iron made on the tier 1 work bench but can sit ontop of a block rather than being hung from a ceiling. Also a wall mounted variation would be nice.
    • An oil lamp that can be worn (similar to the mining hat idea) or placed on a surface and not go out.
    • wooden torches if dropped should be lit, if you do not pick it up, the object will de-spawn at end of game like anything else. This would be great for spelunking when encountering a deep dark pit.
  • Some additions:

• a grinder to convert stone to earth (2:1 ?)
    • a compressor to convert earth to hardened earth (2:1 ?)
    • allow furnace to convert hardened earth to stone (1:1 ?)
    • a deco block slag ("Schlacke") so I can build a dumping place ("Müllkippe") behind my furnaces
    • a way to shear sheep (scissors?)
    • a way to milk cows (bucket?)
    • a kitchen with a stove and lots of receipes!!! And a drinkmaker and drinks! (milk, tea <- herbs, filled in bottles? molten from sand?)
    • a game option (slider) to increase hunger growth(100% will require to eat 2.5 times a day and to drink 10 times) (Maybe also a second slider for "tummy size" so one can adjust the "buffer"? ;) )
    • a way to make "placeable earth" which will allow to create plain acres the easy way by placing blocks?

Edit:

• Cave Detector (might help getting DOWN)

Geforce GTX 960 2GB, i5 4590 @3.3, 12 GB DDR3 1600, Win 10

Edited 2 times, last by eurosat7 ().

• A spindle for turning wool into yarn which would then be used in the loom [Shall be much welcomed to create clothing. I'm certain it's implied and on its way so we can create various kinds of clothing, and items for ships & such. Think sails & blankets also.]
    • A wheel for creating clay pots [This is a must now because of detailing. Would love to create lots of things out of clay from a clay wheel & such.]
    • A smelting furnace or oven variation made of sandstone (to make use of all the sandstone found in the desert which can't be used yet) [Just like with how I mentioned you should ride a Moose because of freedom reasons, I do agree that you need to make sandstone furnaces because of cultural differences. You need to make use of what's around you, thus the idea of using bone tools also. Simply think Middle-east & Asia region in detail.]
    • Removable trays in the smelting furnace which can be swapped. There should be a tray for smelting sand into glass and possibly extracting silicon from the sand to create solar panels for powering lights and such. Another tray could be used for making bricks out of clay [More control over how you smelt ores & what gets smelted is what I've seen an industrial mod for Minecraft try. I'd welcome it in Rising World in creating specific ores, specific items, and specific ways of creating weapons & such from hilts, blades, and to the way you can decorate glass.]
    • The appearance of the Tier II workstation should look more like a machining station (unless that's planned as a Tier III ) [No comment]
    • A wood burning stove or something similar for cooking and heating [A more traditional stove would be welcomed, especially for that European vibe. Would love to gain heat from just wood alone & to use wood as a fuel source alone.]
    • A mortar and pestle for grinding herbs (if they are ever implemented) for use in cooking or potions. It looks like goldenrod and lavender was already added with the biomes update. Additional plants, and wheat would be nice. mortar could be used to get flour from wheat. [I agree with the way you create herbs, and am sure it's implied. I'll simply say I 'vote' for this.]
    • Some kind of tool to collect rubber from trees, or possibly the ability to collect rubber from goldenrod (assuming that is goldenrod and not wheat added recently). Rubber could be used for industrial needs in the game, such as tires for cars. [I agree that there should be a specific tool to harvest rubber & sap from trees for industrial and food-grade stuff. Mention one, might as well mention the other.]

Also, some other suggestions:

• it would be nice to turn logs into lumber on the sawbench instead of just in personal crafting or on the standard workbench [I agree, and been pushing for this as to also justify lugging vehicles, such as logging carts on trains. It's silly they drop into logs when they fall. Be better solved cutting it on the ground, or using something to drag it or have it carried back. Break it on the spot for a few logs.]
    • Not all blocks can be rotated sideways. Only one of the stair variations has this option. [/vote]
    • Sandstone, rather than normal stone, found in the desert should be usable to craft sandstone blocks on the blockbench [Simple agreed here + various styles of decorations after.]
    • Cutting a tree down should yield a trunk (e.g. a long log) instead of small pieces that you have to chase down a hill. The trunk can be broken down into pieces and saplings (perhaps the tree can have inventory where you remove saplings separately) if needed but I figured the trunk could be useful for making a log cabin [Same comment as above in this secondary list. Just read what I mentioned a few points up. I strongly agree here.]
    • I noticed in the winter biome that the temperature is the same regardless of depth. If this could vary, perhaps it could determine the appearance of plants. For example, the plants in my underground garden still have the snow-frosted appearance of those on the surface. [Variations in how you survive also, and if you'll get diseases or not. Even being able to store temperature-sensitive items would also be wise here.]
    • Adding gravel in places other than close to hell. I guess this might change with static water since gravel is typically found around rivers in real life. :) [I'm sure this shall change later.]
    • if electrical wire is going to be available at some point then it would be cool to be able to craft nails in order to hang wire along corridors [This! That, and being able to hid them in blocks. You should be able to tell the wires to hide inside the blocks, or be able to craft variants in which wires can also be hidden within them & to poke out where you want them to. Check out INdustrialCraft2 for Minecraft for ideas & inspiration, if needed.]
    • There should be an old style lamp post. [Much agreed. Victorian London & Europe, among many other sorts.]
    • A light similar to the ones made of iron made on the tier 1 work bench but can sit ontop of a block rather than being hung from a ceiling. Also a wall mounted variation would be nice. [/vote]
    • An oil lamp that can be worn (similar to the mining hat idea) or placed on a surface and not go out. [/vote]
    • wooden torches if dropped should be lit, if you do not pick it up, the object will de-spawn at end of game like anything else. This would be great for spelunking when encountering a deep dark pit. [Much agreed when you're rushing to accomplish your tasks. Making me think Terraria & Starbound, yet would welcome it here also.]

Quoting with what I'm saying in the [ ] bits above.

I now forgot what I wanted to mention so I guess I shall return when I do regain my lost thought.....

• Could be nice to have some round woodbeam using wood bark texture, but totally not sure if easily doable or just plain pain to do.

Last I checked the bench block, there was no bark patterns available but if they were added, it could be applied to a cylinder block, this would achieve a nice log appearance to create a log cabin once all the block shapes can be rotated sideways.

I do agree that you need to make sandstone furnaces because of cultural differences. You need to make use of what's around you, thus the idea of using bone tools also.

I like your idea of bone tools. This will be a great way to craft primitive tools early in the game. If the player spawns barehanded (no iron pickaxe or iron axe) , he/she can hunt wild pigs with a stone, if randomly spawning loose stones (like in ARK) are added to Rising World, collect meat and bone and hide as crafting ingredients. Hide can be used for primitive clothing until one can craft a loom to create fabric clothing. It would be nice to harvest plant fibers like in ARK or Stranded Deep. Fibers, combined with bone and stone can be used to craft a simple knives or picks or pickaxes. The bone pick, if used to mine stone, would break rather quickly.

Along with randomly spawning stones, randomly spawning fallen branches (should be available for harvesting to make sticks (like in The Forest).

I agree, and been pushing for this as to also justify lugging vehicles, such as logging carts on trains. It's silly they drop into logs when they fall. Be better solved cutting it on the ground, or using something to drag it or have it carried back.

Have you ever played The Forest? I'm a fan of the wood gathering and storing processes of that game. Chopping a tree down yields several log segments which can be hauled on your shoulder (two at a time) to your base or placed into a log sled which will carry up to 7 logs at a time. This is realistic but ofcourse Red has to find some balance between Realism and convenience. I still wouldn't mine tuning back the Minecraft feel a bit more. For example, personal inventory and chests should only hold about half as much.

• I like your idea of bone tools. This will be a great way to craft primitive tools early in the game. If the player spawns barehanded (no iron pickaxe or iron axe) , he/she can hunt wild pigs with a stone, if randomly spawning loose stones (like in ARK) are added to Rising World, collect meat and bone and hide as crafting ingredients. Hide can be used for primitive clothing until one can craft a loom to create fabric clothing. It would be nice to harvest plant fibers like in ARK or Stranded Deep. Fibers, combined with bone and stone can be used to craft a simple knives or picks or pickaxes. The bone pick, if used to mine stone, would break rather quickly.

Along with randomly spawning stones, randomly spawning fallen branches (should be available for harvesting to make sticks (like in The Forest).

I tried to show examples of native groups using fish bones to make clothing & tools, yet that went largely ignored previously so I'm still bringing it up until it gets noted in one manner or another. I agree that there should also be a mode were we start with nothing, then having to go up from there by scavenging, & etc. Having to find necessary materials & such, as in ARK & 'The Forest'. Yup, once again agreeing with you fully here.

Have you ever played The Forest? I'm a fan of the wood gathering and storing processes of that game. Chopping a tree down yields several log segments which can be hauled on your shoulder (two at a time) to your base or placed into a log sled which will carry up to 7 logs at a time. This is realistic but ofcourse Red has to find some balance between Realism and convenience. I still wouldn't mine tuning back the Minecraft feel a bit more. For example, personal inventory and chests should only hold about half as much.

Not really, though seen 'Bebopvox' play it briefly before it went into the void again. I saw it has been majorly updated with new areas, mobs, & way to survive. It's interesting. I prefer the way 'The Forest' & 'Wurm Online/Unlimited' does things, specifically with the wood & logs in this topic. How 'The Forest' does things with the logs is something I'd love to see in Rising World also so you don't end up carrying a whole forest in your pocket. Minecraft it's understandable, yet here we're nudging for more 'realism' in ways, and challenges. I'd love to see myself making log piles the Wurm Unlimited manner to then use freight trains to carry them long-distances & such; sleighs & vehicles the short distance.

If you want compromises then I'd recommend taming horses & also having sleds that turn (as in tech-up indirectly in tech-tree) into cars, trucks, and etc then on in tech-tree style. Working your way up from there. As for boats, you would have small river barges, as seen on the Danube river (my POV being around the Vienna to Bratislava area).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!