Unable to start game

• Hi, I just tried to open my new game on "steam", but the it does not start at all, nothing happens when starting the game. I tried their HELP advice, but it doesn't do a thing ... they said to right click on the game & travel to a file called "CommonRedist" which was supposed to be in my Rising world folder ... but no such file ... It's kinda sad cuz I was really looking forward to playing ... does anyone have any advice ... and BTW I'm on a MAC ...

Thank you ... !

Lifting - Astronomy - Building ... in that order for me ... :)

• I'm on OS X as well. No problems on my end. You can try a few things but Apple just released the new Java to us a few days ago, did you attempt that yet?

OS X 10.11.3 runs fine, at least for me. Not sure how knowledgeable you are on OS X so here are some things I can think of off the top of my head.

• Check your OS X version and compare it to what red51 posted.
    • What is your total RAM? How much is being used?
      • Check your RAM usage, type Activity Monitor in the search in the upper right corner and then go to Memory. As long as you aren't capped out you should be fine, the green graph should be relatively low or bottomed out.
      • If it's high you can restart or issue a "sudo purge" at the terminal.
        • To get to Terminal repeat the search above but type Terminal instead.
    • You can also verify file integrity in Steam if you don't want to re-download.

• Go to your library, select Rising World, right click, go to properties, click the local files tab, then select "Verify Integrity of Game Cache".
    • Check your Java, open a terminal and type "java -version"
      • Alternatively, Go to System Preferences (The gears icon), click Java and then go to the update tab and check there.
    • Failing that, go to /Users/(Your username here)/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RisingWorld

• right click finder then click Go to Folder then type: ~/Library

• Then go to the path I listed above.
      • Check for Risingworldosx and the java file there. If they aren't there then you would have to cycle back and redownload the game as I mentioned earlier. I'm not sure if verifying file integrity would fix that, it might though.

I can't think of anything else you could really do. If no error message appears. I would definitely try firing off the Risingworldosx application from the steam folder itself.

• Hi, this post is in response to both of the kind replies I received above ... I'll address all points in turn ... First, thanks a lot for your kind help.

1. Yes, my Mac is running 10.11.3 UP TO DATE ...

2. Ya, my Memory is 8 GB and checking via the "Activity Monitor" it's running low.

3. In Steam, I right clicked on the game app. & went to "Verify Integrity of Game" ... @ first it said - 1 file failed to validate & will be reacquired - then the second time it was fully validated.

4. Now, THIS IS WHERE I THINK THE PROBLEM IS ... I went to terminal to check java version and I got this > No Java runtime present, requesting install. ... So I clicked the popup and it took me to the Oracle download site. Then I matched the DL with what RED51 posted and downloaded a damage which is =

jdk-8u71-macosx-x64

I plan to install it once you verify that it's the one that I need & that it is safe to install ... I'm not Pro. with "under the hood" stuff ...

BTW ... I plan this weekend to upgrade my 27" Mac (it's way old) to the latest 5K+ with TOTAL max+ ... so that will be cool ... !

I will wait for your verification that the above is okay to install ... now I go to gym .... THANKS A LOT ... !

• Well, I installed the JDK file & restarted my computer via the 64 bit ... but it still doesn't work ... I don't know what to do now ... except to maybe redownload the game??? It just won't open ... Any more idea?

I've attached a screen grab of my RW folder in my Steam file

• Hmm, there aren't any privilege issues I assume? You could assign the whole folder as Read/Write to you if it isn't already. I'd redownload at this point regardless to see what happens. When you try to open, does the java icon appear in the dock and bounce as if it's trying to open?

• Hi bro. ... no, I'm the only one on this computer so I have admin powers & all ... ya, and when I try to open it just says RUNNING for a few seconds, but NOTHING appears in the dock like my other games ... btw, can I download it again without paying? Should I do that through the site or via Steam? I wonder what you have that I don't ... I really wanna play this game ... hope we can get it up.

I really appreciate your helpfulness ... thank you ... !

• Hey, please run the game with launch options "+debug" (without quotation marks). Then run the game once, and try to open the file "info", it is in the game main directory (rightclick on rw, properties, local files, browse local files), and paste the content here ;)

• Hi, thanks for responding. First, I can't really run the game AT ALL ... as noted above. Couldn't find a way to " run the game with launch options "+debug" ... But I went to the LOCAL FILES folder (been there many times LOL), and copied the "info" file - ATTACHED BELOW. I really hope we can get the game running because as a Civil/Const. Engineer in real life the game is my type of game ... again thanks for any help.

Ops ... it said FILE EXTENSION IS INVALID so I zipped it - in case you can't open it here is what it said:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
    org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredElementImpl.getTextContent()Ljava/lang/String;
    at steamloader.SteamLoader.loadGame(SteamLoader.java:77)
    at steamloader.SteamLoader.<init>(SteamLoader.java:58)
    at steamloader.SteamLoader.main(SteamLoader.java:27)

Files

• info.zip

(322 Byte, downloaded 219 times, last: )

• Thanks for the info file! It looks like an extension (Apache Xerces) is installed on your system which seems to be broken, but since it's loaded automatically, it breaks Java at all. Have a look at the following directories for anything related to "xerces", and remove it accordingly (eventually create a backup before deleting these files):

Code
    /Library/Java/Extensions
    /System/Library/Java/Extensions
    /Users/*/Library/Java/Extensions
  • :P WOW ... way awesome ... I found one "xerces" file under "/Library/Java/Extensions" and copied/removed it (saved) ... the I tried to open the game, and it seems to work - I got to the opening screen & adjusted some of the options & seems ok ... THANKS FOR YOUR KIND & PROFESSIONAL HELP ... I gotta go pickup my bike, but when I get back I'll test out the game ... have a nice day ... !

:thumbup:

:)

• Just a caveat, deleting the game and reinstalling on Steam will not force you to buy it again. That library on Steam is there for you to download at your whim. That goes for any game. You could delete Rising World 50 times and re-download it 50 times, it doesn't matter.

• I'm glad to hear it works now :) And @Humphrey_Max is right (sorry, I have overseen your question in the previous post), you own the game and can download it as often as you want. Your purchase also entitles you to receive all future updates free of charge ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!