Upcoming: Water update

• So I know that the first water update will be static, but when we do finally get dynamic, will it be infinite? Or will water drain out of wherever its at and dry up completely? The option for both in creative mode would be wonderful. Mostly for making waterfalls and such. But a seperate "block" for infinite water and water that drains would be amazing.

• So I know that the first water update will be static, but when we do finally get dynamic, will it be infinite? Or will water drain out of wherever its at and dry up completely? The option for both in creative mode would be wonderful. Mostly for making waterfalls and such. But a seperate "block" for infinite water and water that drains would be amazing.

I doubt Red would do two options especially immediately. I imagine he's going to just make a flow animation if it's falling down and when the world renders it would already have water flow and falling but not draining else
    everything would end up in Hell. They would likely add in motion animations for water falling down but I doubt it drain out. Even minecraft doesn't do a self leveling liquid system.

The reason is you crash or lag servers lets say I had an ocean biome then someone dug hole to hell then the entire ocean would fill up the caverns in hell. it end up lagged even make people on surface utterly mad say your building a castle on a lake then some jerk tries to empty it with a hole to hell. So for that reason along with difficulty in distance objects also being affected, I don't think the developers will do that.I think the water will flow infinitely down but not drain. So I doubt dry up completely or draining out is going to occur.

I am thinking this change in gravity with water will be more difficult than minecraft because it's not a simple block checking only it includes voxels terrain involved as well. So in my mind it's harder than looking at one block below you have to look at voxels, also models, and blocks. Developers will end up making a judgement call or rule for when the voxel is gone or partly gone what to do.

I would probably make it a simple rule and create entire grid under water blocks in 3d space turn them into blocks ignore voxel size or shape but look if it doesn't have full terrain filled in the water proceeds down else no. It's not simple as my description because you have to make judgement calls on all these things. Whether to use physics finite mass other times creating false physics / water infinity. Also when can it flow to next section like the hole in the voxel.

For example minecraft does not behave at all like liquid having a distance of spreading liquid is limited. Like lava and water I think 5 / 7 blocks away getting thinner yet it contentiously flows yet not really. Endless supply of water in 3 block radius as long as you drain the middle block having water on at least two sides. Yet finite lava?

So crazy rules yet at same time Minecraft in non vanilla has a problem with lava flowing lag since if you remove lava blocks through the center of nether you can easily mine center of nether world causes an animation of each lava block calculating constant flowing lava on each block is not good. Perhaps the minecraft should only have only looked for air below lava blocks once during world creation once that's done don't bother looking at blocks only look at the player tools because he is only one changing blocks after render. Everyone knows minecraft has many mistakes especial in how logic and now those are Microsoft bugs to get more optimized and better API. I don't want to compare this nice game outright with minecraft because this is a much better building game and started with a better graphics more logical API platform IMO. Minecraft was the first to market so it has a large MOD community, not that expensive around launch I paid like $15 in 2008 now almost double, and also gives Minecraft always gave free updates even though I bought over eight years ago which makes minecraft popular.

• Well putting it like that, it makes more sense than what I was suggesting. Thanks for the insight, Yak. We'll still have a lot to do even with static water. Can't wait!

• Well putting it like that, it makes more sense than what I was suggesting. Thanks for the insight, Yak. We'll still have a lot to do even with static water. Can't wait!

Thanks Jakemo, I am glad I make sense to someone LOL but whatever Red's team does I am sure it be fine. Since we had trees back in 2015 also hade a gravity issue too which they roll or balance trees such a way to never stop moving. I call them dancing trees but I haven't seen those for a while. I see those screenshots of water not moving but still looks good.

• Quote from red51

Most likely this will depend on the water depth ;)

So i'm guessing shallow water will give you more damage than deep water? and REALLY deep water probably not much damage at all? Or is that also going to depend on fall height?

• LordFoobar according to that 7m - 12 m --
    12 m - 40 foot drop is death? That guy chosen best answer in your "fall to be fatal" link is conflating MPS Meters per Second with actual Meters in distance. Which is confusing

I was interested in that topic by your link, I am not criticizing you but I was wondering if the forum people you linked to know what they are talking about.
    I think they do not have any clue about in relationship to different surfaces like falling in water.

The world record holder divers 177 feet (54 mm) drop just google it don't need someone guessing they do it more than once no great injury.
    Here is 172 feet almost same. The injury is to knees apparently if not taped.

I don't know how many meters per second but seemed to indicate I read was 120 miles per hour (193 km)

When I tried I do calculations on my own guessing of his weight being 170 lbs (77kg).
    Speed at impact:32.53 m/s
    or 117.12 km/h
    Time until impact: 3.32 s

So that link with the BEST Answer is off by at least a factor of two for even a guy not injured and he's say they die after 12 m/s in any surface? This diver is going 32 m/s without injury.
    A diver can do that because he displaces water as fast as possible other wise he die from the landing, it's not distance its how how you end up pushing the water out of your way when landing. Unlike ground if you can push water out of the way fast you don't die if you belly flop it you DIE.
    An average person like me I get hurt getting out of bed which grand total of 1 foot so that's a lot of difference between us.

Seems most games if the water is more than height of character, they let you live.
    So if you land in shallow you could just cut damage taken so in our case
    3 blocks high is human avatar
    1 block 25% damage reduced
    2 blocks 50% damage reduced
    3 blocks 75% damage reduced
    4 blocks 100% damage reduced.
    Would be pretty simple to do that

• I think you misunderstood :) Or I perhaps should have given some precision; the link was mostly about the NASA research, which stipulates that a fall may be fatal at ~17.5 m/s vertically (see page 36, or Figure 10 of the PDF) I had included a link to the StackExchange question to cite my source of finding, and because despite the obvious errors (as you pointed out), some answers and comments are still pertinent.

For convenience, here is a direct link to the PDF.

• I think you misunderstood :) Or I perhaps should have given some precision; the link was mostly about the NASA research, which stipulates that a fall may be fatal at ~17.5 m/s vertically (see page 36, or Figure 10 of the PDF) I had included a link to the StackExchange question to cite my source of finding, and because despite the obvious errors (as you pointed out), some answers and comments are still pertinent.

For convenience, here is a direct link to the PDF.

Thanks for clarifying

• Uhhh. The wait.. I know it will be awesome when it hits but.. Uhhh, the wait.

So what is everyone else doing to pass the time since the next update? Any new games?

Not much I been playing this on multiplayer. I occasionally play "MTG" Marvel heroes 2015, Fallout New vegas, Nobunaga ambition, Dark Arisen, total war, pillars

• wow! es increíble <3 !! los graficos parecen imprecionantes, me muero de ansias para ver en lo utilizan 8o , estuve minutos buscando el agua y aun no lo encontré, pero cuando lo halle sera fabuloso :love: (alguna idea de donde puedo encontrarla? ?( ) Gracias estuve esperandolo desde hace meses, desde que la anunciaron (y desde que me la imagine) :B

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!