Upcoming: Water update

• I wonder If with the first static water update we will be able to also place water or that will happen when there is physics into it.Has anybody heard anything about this?

From what I recall, you will be able to place water via creative mode. So if you are playing an existing world, water will only naturally generate in areas you have not explored yet. For areas you have explored or anywhere else really, you can place water blocks. I'm assuming these will act like infinite water blocks in minecraft, not sure really.

• Yeah.I am aware about the unexplored areas.I created a world several months ago and a have a good size town.I left the surrounding area unexplored for that reason.Also,for biomes reason.I t will brobably be a F7 tool or something like that or F6 and press 1 for vegetation placement and 2 for water.Not sure though If we can place water in the first update once it doesnt have physics.If we place it wrong,we are gonna have to remove it.I guess,a bucket "like" tool will come along as well?

• I think Red mentioned buckets recently but i'm not sure if we are getting one yet. Perhaps when cooking becomes a thing in this game. I know the cooking pot has been around for a while in the game code but its not yet functional. I really don't know. If water is going to start out as static, perhaps we can make floating oceans, water walls or some other Abyss looking stuff. :)

http://forgetomori.com/2007/sc…bridge-with-high-voltage/

• About the water being manually placed in survival mode I want to suggest something while it still has a chance (short-term). Just something to add, then polish in detail later, before the dungeon update so we can fiddle around with so that Red51 can focus more on the dungeon, and less on the water update. Just one or two things...This is also inspired by the water collection devices in Minecraft's FTB (Feed The Beast) modpack; Infinity Evolved.

It would be neat if we could get some either a "rain catcher" (in two versions), or a "humidity net". Either a decoration for homes that feeds into water barrels, or even an object you can place in "humid" places so you can obtain small amounts of water to turn into "water blocks", whatever the size is in creative mode. Something to ease the pain, and for Red51 to take even more time polishing the updates.

That, or you could use tomatoes, watermelons, and juices from food to then feed into the toilet, which then feeds into a liquid storage, which can then be filtered into normal water using both plants & mechanical devices. Having moss in a filter should be simple enough.

Red51, it's your call on this one. This just something to "ease the pain" when it come to waiting for the next update while taking advantage of the one coming up :)

• Server-wise: My issue would be the possible fact that water would only be available in creative mode ( for the time being) and we wouln't be able to isolate it from any other creative tool available in the permissions.
    Leaving the only two options for servers to either turn on all creative tools or turn off all creative tools instead of just being able to pick 'allow water tool' and leave the rest off.

But even if it was possible to give players only the ability to add water, this is still a feature
    that ignores area protection script, just as the curent terraforming features are ignored by the script.

Now imagine the rage of hundreds of players who have been waiting for water, but cant use it on
    their favorite server due to obvious security concerns.
    ---

I honestly like/need/want players to be able to obtain water in survival
    mode (at the same time as those who get it in creative-mode only, not months later when cooking is added)
    or
    I'd like/need/want to have a way to protect the world when players use creative mode tools
    then players have their fun and admins/owners of a server have a peace of mind.

I'd rather see happy players than frustrated ones not understanding why they cant access water. Because most aren't into the technicallities of a server they just want to play, they wont
    understand why they are being cut off from the water feature even when it is explained over and over again.

• Seeing Silversatin's posting is making me happy because it both justifies my posting above is, plus it's something that allows players to gain water through regeneration. They wouldn't have to fiddle around, nor worry, about static water disappearing (or security reasons), yet would have the option of having a renewable source to place back into the world through survival means. Again, through 'rain catcher', 'humidity filter', or whatever you can think of or know of to 'regenerate' or 'capture' moisture from the air, atmosphere, or similar. Something simple + a storage device to pour onto the scenery somehow.

Also, as I was typing this, I wanted to suggest squeezing water out of food (i.e tomatoes, watermelons, & lemons) should be able to allow you to create juices that you could somehow filter into normal water. That's something one could add as a placeholder until some water filter/regeneration object mechanic can be properly added.

• Hopefully a way to limit creative mode to water placement will be added with the next update. I can see Silver's concern. As the toolset in creative mode is expanded upon, I'm sure it would be useful to admins to fine tune what is allowed and what isn't on the server by each player.

• Yeah I am on SilverSatin server he is concerned with the permission issues in scripting since he has to disable all creative tools and blue printing. Since I asked him about blue prints said when placing a blue print it ignores the protection he has so you could paste a building on top of someone elses structure.

I hope permissions are fixed blue prints are one of the major advantages this has over other block building
    games even the all mighty minecraft. Able to trade or use blue prints would be very nice.

• Ya, he does seem overly busy that I wanted to make note of it, yet had no time to do so. And yes, he is indeed swimming in code because the update was optimistically mentioned to be released by now, yet it looks like it'll be a May release instead. That's what you get when you try coding with water which other game studio and developers fear highly, yet are still able to do if they wanted to. All those bugs, glitches, and tantruming water physics. Hope he's winning this wet war.

I guess this water update shall really be that awesome if we're waiting this long. I'm painfully itching to claim a nice largish island and to see if we get boats or not to take advantage of this water update and the water. I keep repeatidly tweeting to Jeb to focus on boats yet he keeps ignoring me every single time :rolleyes: .

Seeking these sorts of islands out:
    1) http://nice-living.eu/pictures…hidonisi/phidonisi-01.jpg
    2) http://www.ansamed.info/webima…df9c704d411d13ced94ba.jpg
    3) http://sliptalk.s3-us-west-2.a…823/HOUSES-ON-SEVERAL.jpg < (Something I"m used to more locally in Ottawa & the Ontario region in those bigger rivers)

Yup. Red51 is swimming. Hopefully he has a life-vest on to keep him safe.

• I don't know anything more than you guys and of course I would like to be wrong. But actually it could be that the update simply needs a lot of effort and is therefore taking longer ^^ Again, not saying that it isn't going to be awesome, but the water might not be in the condition you want it to be yet.

• I guess this water update shall really be that awesome if we're waiting this long. I'm painfully itching to claim a nice largish island and to see if we get boats or not to take advantage of this water update and the water.

Knowing Red, he probably has a lot of other stuff bundled in with the water update. I remember how huge the biomes update was supposed to be originally but Red ended up splitting out the re-texturing and additional trees so we had something to try out. I also remember him mentioning he took a detour to work on the new character designs (probably to work out swimming animations would be my guess) so yeah. This is going to be a big update for sure. And once its out, I'm going to start over and look for a nice beach or island to settle on.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!