Hmmm... RW does not start under Linux after 0.7 update

• Linux Mint 17.3 64bit, 12GB RAM, AMD HD 5770.

Since the update, RW no longer starts: at launch, a black filled is created, lasting for a couple of seconds, then the programme shuts down, before even displaying the JIW logo screen. I tried from the Steam client, from the menu and from a terminal command line, with no difference. From the terminal, the only output is:
    Running Steam on linuxmint 17.3 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically

I also tried removing everything and re-downloading the package from Steam, also with no difference.

The info file in the RW installation folder says (no other log or error log seems to be generated):

Just in case: After removing everything (I moved the RisingWorld folder elsewhere, including the Worlds sub-folder), the programme still recreates the local worlds, before shutting down. Are they cached somewhere else?

Thanks for any suggestion.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that RW was running correctly before the update (for almost 150 hours of game play).

• I am experiencing the exact same thing you describe using Linux since the update.

• Hello, same here. Debian Jessie, Nvidia gtx 660Ti, 8gb of Ram. I get few moments of the black screen of initial load, and it close itself before JIW's logo shows up. The info file is exactly the same as above.

I try update java, nothing change. The only change is when I activate fullscreen in config.properties : the launch after, I have an alert box which says fullscreen is not available and turned off (I had this fullscreen error since always). After that, I have a blackscreen, but nothing else than steam's overlay pop up.

• There is unforuntately an issue with Linux since the latest version. It seems that a native crash is caused by some libraries. We are currently working on a solution, but it may take a few more hours until a hotfix is available. I'm sorry for the inconvenience :(

@Miwarre: Is there eventually a file called "hs_err_pid" available?

• Thanks for your answer @red51 No "hs_err_pid" in RW for me. @zfoxfire : you can create a steam_appid.txt with the right ID in , so you can launch the game further than a logging issue.

Code
    echo "324080" > steam_appid.txt

The result :

• Miwarre: Is there eventually a file called "hs_err_pid" available?

Thanks for the reply and for looking into the matter.

No "hs_err_pid" file is created in the main RW installation folder or any of its sub-folders. Shall I look for it in other places?

I set "game_debug_console=true" in "config.properties", just in case. This seemed to create a "Logs/1464292109.log" file, which is attached below. As a result, the "info" file is shortened and now it simply says:

Miwarre how did you get rising world to launch in a terminal, This is very useful for debugging

To start Steam RW from terminal, I looked in the properties of the menu short-cut for RW which says:
    steam steam://rungameid/324080
    and I just enter this command from the RW installation folder (probably it does not matter, but who knows) at a terminal command line. No idea if the command is specific to Linux or generic.

• Sorry for the double post, but i don't know if others will have the same problem.

Last update fixed the errors from the console on GNU/Linux, but I
    continue not to be able to launch the game from steam client. I have the
    same error as before (org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: No modes available):

Any idea on how to fix it?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!