Game won't start.

• I haven't played for awhile but I tried to launch game today and it keeps crashing with this message.

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at steamloader.SteamLoader.loadGame(SteamLoader.java:135)
    at steamloader.SteamLoader.<init>(SteamLoader.java:38)
    at steamloader.SteamLoader.main(SteamLoader.java:27)
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: failed to create a child event loop
    at io.netty.util.concurrent.MultithreadEventExecutorGroup.<init>(MultithreadEventExecutorGroup.java:99)
    at io.netty.util.concurrent.MultithreadEventExecutorGroup.<init>(MultithreadEventExecutorGroup.java:68)
    at io.netty.channel.MultithreadEventLoopGroup.<init>(MultithreadEventLoopGroup.java:49)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoopGroup.<init>(NioEventLoopGroup.java:100)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoopGroup.<init>(NioEventLoopGroup.java:71)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoopGroup.<init>(NioEventLoopGroup.java:56)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoopGroup.<init>(NioEventLoopGroup.java:41)
    at vertxclient.VertxClient.<init>(VertxClient.java:41)
    at content.Launcher.<init>(SourceFile:44)
    ... 7 more
    Caused by: io.netty.channel.ChannelException: failed to open a new selector
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.openSelector(NioEventLoop.java:126)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.<init>(NioEventLoop.java:118)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoopGroup.newChild(NioEventLoopGroup.java:140)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoopGroup.newChild(NioEventLoopGroup.java:31)
    at io.netty.util.concurrent.MultithreadEventExecutorGroup.<init>(MultithreadEventExecutorGroup.java:95)
    ... 15 more
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to establish loopback connection
    at sun.nio.ch.PipeImpl$Initializer.run(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.PipeImpl$Initializer.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.PipeImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.SelectorProviderImpl.openPipe(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.channels.Pipe.open(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.WindowsSelectorImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.WindowsSelectorProvider.openSelector(Unknown Source)
    at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.openSelector(NioEventLoop.java:124)
    ... 19 more
    Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
    at sun.nio.ch.Net.connect0(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.Net.connect(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.Net.connect(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.nio.channels.SocketChannel.open(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.PipeImpl$Initializer$LoopbackConnector.run(Unknown Source)
    ... 28 more

Any help would be appreciated.

• Btw, my computer specs are:

Windows 7 64x
    Intel i5 750 2.67ghz
    Gigabyte Nvidia GTX-680 4gb vram
    8gb ram
    Sound card: Tascam US-122 MKII

• Steam is running when I launch. I tried all the help tips in the sticky (didn't help). Uninstalled game removed remaining traces with Iobit Uninstaller and restarted (didn't help). Running as administrator, installing test branch, installing older version (didn't help). Installed new version of Java for the hell of it (no change). Removed all instances of Rising World64 exe. from Emsisoft Anti malware and Comodo Firewall and then set the Rising World exe. to trusted file in Firewall (no change). Tried other server based or online games in collection, all work except Rising World. I tried completely shutting off my Antimalware and Firewall protection (no change). I'm at a loss.

• Hmm... the problem is, that the game is unable to establish a loopback connection. Maybe try this: Rightclick on RW in Steam -> Properties -> Set launch options -> enter "+ipv6" (without quot. marks). Does the game start then? If you still get the same error, remove the launch option again. What happens if you open the windows command prompt (press windowskey + R -> type cmd) and type "ping loopback" and "ping 127.0.0.1"?

• Hi Red, changing the launch options to 1pv6 didn't help and both ping attempts were complete failures (0/4 attempts). I don't understand, the game used to work flawlessly and I don't remember changing any settings.

• When I ping 127.0.0.1 through my modem directly, all 4 packets are received successfully. Strange, I can't see any settings in Comodo that could be blocking this, I even tried disabling the "filter loopback traffic" option in Comodo, just to see but made no difference.

• Actually I wanted to suggest that you should try to disable the "filter loopback traffic" setting :| When pinging 127.0.0.1 fails, it's usually either caused by a broken network configuration or a faulty network driver, or by a program interfering with the connection. It may be caused by Comodo, did you also try to add the "java.exe" (in the "java/bin" subfolder in your Rising World directory) to the exception list in Comodo?

• I tried adding the Java.exe in rising world as a trusted file in Comodo. Still can't launch, appear to be getting the same fatal exception message. I have next to no network administration skills so I don't know what to do. Programs just usually work on my computer.

• You mentioned that you tried to disable Comodo temporarily, how did you do that exactly? Did you shutdown the program, or did you disable the firewall (rightclick on Comodo -> Firewall -> Disable)? Try to disable the firewall and see if it works then.
    Otherwise you could try to restore your network configuration. To do that, press Windowskey + R -> type cmd -> type netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt. Next type netsh winsock reset, and restart your computer. Does it work now (btw. make sure the +ipv6 launch option is no longer active for Rising World)? Or can you ping 127.0.0.1? If it still does not work, can you eventually send the "resetlog.txt" file in C: to us? Either post it here in the forums, or send it via email to support@jiw-games.net

• I tried the reset options from an elevated command prompt, both claimed success. I restarted my computer afterwards and still I can't launch Rising World (same exception). I've also realized that while online games work, server based games (Starmade, ATLauncher) won't load either. I can't find any resetlog.txt in C: either and search comes up empty. Is it in a specific directory?

• Oh yeah, pinging 127.0.0.1 still does not work. And I did remove the ipv6 launch option.

• Hmm... it really looks like an issue with the firewall then :huh: Just to make sure it's not IPv6 related, please try to open the command prompt again (Windowskey + R -> cmd) and type ping ::1, do you get a response?
    In Comodo, are there any other global rules (or application rules) regarding "localhost" or "loopback" (or any blocking rule with destination ip 127.0.0.1 or ::1)? I'm not familar with Comodo, but is there eventually an option to allow Rising World (and the java.exe) explicitly to connect to 127.0.0.1 and ::1?

• Hi Red, I appreciate your continued efforts to help me out. I tried pinging ::1 and it failed completely. I scoured the Comodo settings, and I can't find anything that would be blocking loopbacks. I also shut down Comodo completely and the pings still failed. Some people in tech forums, are saying that inability to resolve loopbacks, is a sign of a failing NIC in my network card. So I'm wondering if my on board network card has finally started to die. Windows diagnostics aren't showing any problems, (but they aren't very comprehensive anyway); so I might need a new network card. The other possibility is that my install of Windows is becoming corrupted (I haven't reinstalled in 6 years or so). Do you think a failing network card could be the culprit?

• Yes, basically it may be caused by a defective network adapter. But it may be also a corrupted driver, or some software interfering with the connection. It's difficult to find out what's wrong exactly... Maybe reinstalling the network driver helps?
    Otherwise you could try to enter netsh interface ip show interfaces into cmd, what output do you get?

• This is the result:

Idx Met MTU State Name
    --- ---------- ---------- ------------ ---------------------------
    1 50 4294967295 connected Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
    10 10 1500 connected Local Area Connection
    11 5 1500 disconnected Local Area Connection 2

Local area 2, is a connection that I don't use anymore.

• Sorry I had that chart spaced out better but it got squished again when I posted, for some reason. 8|

• One more thing, I installed new drivers for my network card yesterday but it didn't help. And my "Toredo Tunneling Adapter" has a yellow exclamation point beside it and it won't start. But it's been like that for years and all these games were running fine until recently. Sorry for the post spam, I keep forgetting these things until just after I post.

• Thanks for the output, it looks fine to me... ?( Is the Windows firewall enabled on your machine, in addition to Comodo? If so, try to disable it eventually and see if you can ping 127.0.0.1 then (I haven't seen any cases of Windows firewall blocking loopback connections, especially since it makes no sense, but just make assurance doubly sure).

//Edit: What about the "HIPS" setting in Comodo? If it is enabled (and in "safe mode" or "paranoid mode"), it may still block the "ping 127.0.0.1" attemps even if you completely shutdown Comodo. In this case, try to disable HIPS separately.

• Windows firewall is disabled and Comodo's Hips is turned off. My anti-malware program has a behavior blocker so I don't bother with Defense Plus. I just installed a new network card and driver as well and the ping tests are still failing. I'm wondering if I have to re-install Windows now. I've got so many heavily modded games and other files, that I was hoping not to.

• Since you've installed a new network card, you could try the commands netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and netsh winsock reset again (restart your computer then), maybe they work. At least there is a high chance that they fix any configuration issues in Windows. Please have a look if a resetlog.txt file is now created in C: (if there is no such file just forget about it).
    I don't think reinstalling Windows is really necessary... maybe it's worth a try to uninstall Comodo (at least it's easier than reinstalling Windows)?

If you want to play singleplayer only we can do a small change to the game to avoid this error (so you don't have to reinstall Windows or something like that). But in this case the original error would still persist, and it's unfortunately not possible to play multiplayer then :/

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!