Do you use a single hard-drive or multiple?

• I've always used one single hard-drive to run my computer off of, but the other day I ordered a 1TB hard-drive to go along with my 500GB one currently, so that I'm running off of two hard-drives.

I am planning to either: run Windows and all my programs off one, and my games off of the other, or run everything on one, and record videos to the other.

Do you use a single hard-drive or multiple?

• I use a three drive setup usually:

• OS Drive - Windows, Drivers, Utilities, Swap, Temp - Small SSD
    • App Drive - All programs and games - Large SSD or hybrid or High RPM HD
    • Storage Drive - Documents, Downloads, Media - Large Hard Drives

In my actual gaming system, I have 2 app drives, one for steam, and one for everything else.

• I use a three drive setup usually:

• OS Drive - Windows, Drivers, Utilities, Swap, Temp - Small SSD
    • App Drive - All programs and games - Large SSD or hybrid or High RPM HD
    • Storage Drive - Documents, Downloads, Media - Large Hard Drives

In my actual gaming system, I have 2 app drives, one for steam, and one for everything else.

:O I don't think I'll ever have 3, but who knows?

I guess performance isn't an issue when it comes to drive speeds for you then :P

• 2 Drive System - With Network Mapping
    SSD - OS, critical apps (web, office) and hardcore games (ex: eve online)
    1tb - Storage, Games (steam) and all downloads land here

Mapped Network - Long Term Storage, Archives & Backups

edit: I pushed my swap to my 1Tb drive. While never proven I feel the read/write of swap beats on the SSD too much..while it would be faster on the SSD I worry about degrading the drive. (I have had 2x SSD failure to dying zones in the past)

• I have a 4 way set up:
    Computer:
    1. SSD for OS and important stuff like some games and important apps
    2. HHD 1TB for anything else
    3. HDD 1 TB Steam Libary (installes every game xD)

Network:
    WD MYCLOUD 3TB for Documents. :)

• Maybe I should look more into network storage... :P

I'm considering getting an external case to house multiple hard-drives, if needed.

• If you want the most reliable storage then buy a WD Raid NAS :D and then put in there WD Enterprise HDD... They are protected against movements so that they will not affect each other. :) But you can just research those particular specs. I personally just really like WD. One of my HDD is now running for 3 years (up time).

• IMHO - Everyone needs network based storage. Either in the form of another machine (dedicated is best), a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or a USB attached to a lesser machine.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!