Upcoming: Dungeons and Plugin API

• Custom models.........time to dust off the Blender

in my case dust off 3dsmax my external hard drive, with all my 3d models therein that has been collecting dust, hmm I could build a race track and add some race cars lol...I know it's not what RW Is about, hell it would be loads of fun.. just a question for @red51 how difficult is it going to be add models to this game, I've done a lot of games over the years, in various formats, but never java.

thanks.

• Thanks for the feedback :)

Here's to hoping there's a way for them to spawn in already spawned chunks for those multiplayer servers by checking if there's player made blocks in a given radius, or not

Basically dungeons will only spawn in unexplored areas. Or in other words, only in those areas where nothing has been built yet (more precisely, when you build something, the whole "worldpart" will be saved, which consists of 64x64 chunks).

Creepy.. that was post # 666 for me.

That explains everything... I felt a great disturbance in the Force!

Another useful addition which does not seem to fall into any of the listed categories is the possibility to add a player to a group programmatically, in practice a script equivalent of the setplayergroup command.

Yes, that will be possible ;)

When custom models come, we need to be able to support simple animations and that animation needs to be synced for all players in a multi-player environment

Animations are not supported at the moment, at least no skeletal or keyframe animations, so you can just load a static 3d model. However, of course you can move and rotate the model, so for example a rotating windmill will be possible, or doors which can be opened etc. ^^

ondly, I do hope Red51 is making alternate statues because those are needed in the dungeons. A perfect time to insert more

Agree!

just a question for @red51 how difficult is it going to be add models to this game, I've done a lot of games over the years, in various formats, but never java.

It will be relatively easy ;) You can just select a model file from your harddrive (supported formats: obj, 3ds, fbx), the game loads it automatically and transfers it to the client as soon as you "spawn" the model in the world. There will be a documentation available, and when working with an IDE (e.g. Netbeans or Eclipse), you can use auto-completion and see the javadoc directly (which makes life a lot easier).

• Great stuff :)
    I enjoy building as much as anything and have been using the /we clear, //we place and fill commands extensively,. The one thing missing for me at the moment is a /we copy command is there any chance that the new api has this ?
    Often find I build a part structure such as a staircase say. Using a blueprint I have trouble placing the copied structure. The existing lua select gives far more accurate precision.

• When "settings_pvp_enabled" is set to false, there is indeed no pvp possible currently. The player "pvp" permission only has an effect when "settings_pvp_enabled" is set to true. Originally this was intended to make sure that pvp is generally not possible on servers which are flagged as "non-pvp server", but eventually we have to reconsider this approach ^^

That sucks because Silver has built an awesome PVP Arena on the server, i was gonna place bets at the arena on my fighters.

Update

create custom "gamemodes" and influence the gameplay

Does this mean.... instant PvP/no PvP switching without touching the overal flag settings =O ? It sounds like it but I was almost certain not to hold my breath.
    If so then yeeehaaa Thank you ! A lot of possibilities are opened up that way for servers that genuinly are no PvP but have little bars where fights are as a natural way of socializing ;p

if not then Thank you anyway ! But what about a semi-pvp or limited-pvp flag ? anything that would offer a way to have a controlled level of pvp but not be labeled as being all about pvp.

• Hurray! (Or did I said that already?) :thumbsup:

• Uh, I forgot to ask:

Will it be possible to craft items programmatically like in the "item [name] [selector] [qty]" console command, not to place them in the world -- this is already kind of possible -- but for instance to give to players?

One could assume it is more or less implicit in the list given above, but knowing for sure would be great.

And, again, THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL NEWS!

• @red51 After going through a lot of what's been said here I have a couple questions.

1) With this new API will we be able to add new plants, animals, food and or mob drops?
    2) Can we add new custom blocks, crafting recipes, tools and functions?
    3) In the game files I have seen 16 different types of ore, tanning racks and a lot of other stuff. Would it be possible for us to activate these through use of mods?

Love the game and sorry if I sound a bit anxious, just very excited to see what we can do with the new API. Keep up the awesome work! The way these updates keep rolling out we'll be in beta by Christmas :thumbup:

• Thanks for the feedback :)

Basically dungeons will only spawn in unexplored areas. Or in other words, only in those areas where nothing has been built yet (more precisely, when you build something, the whole "worldpart" will be saved, which consists of 64x64 chunks).

Agree!

Aww, I was hoping for it to spawn in explored chunks which haven't been built on. Having it reverse check the terrain because it's difficult remembering which is old & new. But with the way you're wording things it seems that they'll indeed spawn in explored uncolonized chunks. Maybe a tease, or the choices of words, yet it's making me hopeful I'll see these dungeons in the open areas which I haven't built in. Even underground, underwater, and etc. I think Minecraft's water dungeon work this way, yet never did confirm it. Maybe I did and it.....Been too long.

Oh? More statues to come? Nice. Hoping we can make use of them in this coming update :thumbup:

Still loving this update.

• Aww, I was hoping for it to spawn in explored chunks which haven't been built on.

When Red51 added that console command to check to help find your lost base, I had some thoughts to add on that. The command basically searches for high concentrations of blocks or construction objects. The API is supposed to grant us better access to the world save data so I suspect that it will be possible to create a wipe/cleanup command to wipe out any explored yet undeveloped chunks. I'd like to take a stab at writing such a mod. And I need to brush up on my Java skills.

• When Red51 added that console command to check to help find your lost base, I had some thoughts to add on that. The command basically searches for high concentrations of blocks or construction objects. The API is supposed to grant us better access to the world save data so I suspect that it will be possible to create a wipe/cleanup command to wipe out any explored yet undeveloped chunks. I'd like to take a stab at writing such a mod. And I need to brush up on my Java skills.

That's exactly why I'm mentioning this. It's because of what I saw in Minecraft with ores & that water dungeon, as with the spawn finder, that I'm bringing this up. That's why I'm mentioning it, also for those servers because we've become stupidly attached to our worlds. I have, with what I'm building. I should have kept myself as a nomad.

Also, that's a nice idea to continue working off things. The API stuff which should allow for map generation tools to hopefully be made. The Google Map types, as with the AMIDST type map prediction. It should help people figure out where they are, where to go back to, and to finally have a visualization of their world top down. I do hope someone tries this mapping route. People are always getting lost.

• Back in my day, you had to read text descriptions of where you were, type commands, and if you wanted a map then you drew it by hand.

Anyways, AMIDST sounds like an interesting one. As I recall, its an external program that you enter in a seed or load a save game from. Regardless of whether its external or not, it still needs a minecraft library included.

I'd imagine implementing something similar in Rising World would require the API to have a method which takes seed number, world type, and other world parameters (caves enabled, vegetation enabled (if that affects land generation), , and a chunk ID. The method would return an array of useful info such as biome ID, water presence, ground height, ground type and other features such as cave entrance, or structure (village, temple, shack, dungeon).

This could actually work very similar to a HUD map, except the range would be much much smaller

A visual representation would be neat to show how each biome is actually shaped (something I'm very curious about after seeing those square oceans ;)

• You do not know how happy I am hearing that you & I are on the same page. This is so awesome! Even loving how you even have a plan to make it work in RW, as it should with experience.

And I'm glad you're finally on the bandwagon of wanting to see an aerial view of the biomes. I'm wanting to see how the biomes in my 'Poi!' seed are shaped because one ocean ties to the next in a ring like fashion. Somewhat similar to what was shown in the example that it be sweet to have it work of both the RW library + predictions. It was 99.98% accurate. It's troublesome having to imagine how the world looks like in a mental image, yet I guess the example shows it the best.

• AMIDST sounds [...], it still needs a minecraft library included.

Not sure about all this interest for MineCraft add-ons/mods. My opinion might well be biased, as I have never played to MC, but:

*) for all the similarities in genre, as far as I can tell from the descriptions (and a few minutes looking over the shoulders of other players!), the two programmes are rather different in concept, so what makes sense for one not necessarily does for the other too (well, any kind of mapping tool would certainly make sense, but other might not).

*) nothing can really be 'ported'; everything has to be redone from scratch, relying on a different API, which itself relies on different code and data structures.

I'd imagine implementing something similar in Rising World would require the API to have a method which takes seed number, world type, and other world parameters (caves enabled, vegetation enabled (if that affects land generation), , and a chunk ID. The method would return an array of useful info such as biome ID, water presence, ground height, ground type and other features such as cave entrance, or structure (village, temple, shack, dungeon).

Input might be much simpler than that: while using such a tool, you already have a world (with all its parameters) and RW already has code which retrieves all those data (or generates them if not created yet). All you need is a pair of X and Z coordinates (or, more meaningful, West and North coordinates) and maybe an optional Y (altitude) coordinate. All the needed pieces are already there. Of course, this would require to generate the chunk(s) if not visited yet, but there is no way around this!

It might be exposed in an API or not (now or later). If not, well, tough luck! If yes, well, the hard part is done!

A visual representation would be neat to show how each biome is actually shaped (something I'm very curious about after seeing those square oceans ;)

F3 already shows these info; if you are curios, simply wander around and take note of biome transitions. A manual long work, but maybe results are interesting... (this is how I discovered the sea/lakes patterns).

• Doesn't matter if its a minecraft tool or not, its a useful tool for a survival/crafting game where there is lots to explore. And F3 only shows you what biome you are in and your coordinates. I'm talking about potentially writing a program to extract the world data via the api and generate a map.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!