Modded Textures

• I think its the right place to start this thread, i will start to produce some textures for the game so it fits my medieval ambient better :). That doesn't mean i update it frequent or it will be a complete texture pack (what is the longtime goal). You can give me feedback ideas for new block textures. The biggest part of my work will be handcrafted from many other texture ressources.

So here is my first block, its a stonewall.

1. Ingame Screen:

2. Textures + Spec + Normals + Parallax + Occlusion - Maps:

• Update here comes some wooden planks:
    1.Ingame Screen

2. Textures + Spec + Normals + Parallax + Occlusion - Maps:

UPDATE - 18.12.14:
    Good Morning :), a little update before i have to move to university (omg it's so early in the morning).
    First, thank you all for your amazing feedback! As i continue to create textures i will provide an easy downloadable file which you have only to copy in your game folders. But before i want to have some more textures in it. As i know texture packs are planned, i looked up some jar files and found some references to "texturepack thing" ;). So it will be more easy with later development, i hope.

Second, for a more ancient style i needed a new old timber texture, maybe i have to work on some offset:

An additional work i made was for the loading screen, as i run into the forest with my dogs i decided to make some art piece from photo. This will get some -> texturepack info like name on it.

As third for this morning i dont know how to provide an smaller size of the pics :/ they take a large space in this thread, but i want you to show high resoultion for my images to. Maybe i will change it to a gallery or so.

UPDATE - 19.12.14:
    So a not so good morning :/, have some headache from the cristmas party. But ok in anticipation of this i had prepared some texture for today :D.
    The first one is a new ground texture, its just placeholding but you can imagine how SNOW could look like. I simple replaced grass with the texture. In my opinion it looks nice with the pines. Some snowy weather effects would be a great addition for atmossphere :).

The second one is something i really missed, it's a hay block. (Crafted from stones :D but anyway) Hay is such a important building block for medieval houses i just needed it. I made a rope at the seams if you think thats bad i can provide a version without it.

So, this post becomes larger and larger, i am open to any presentation ideas ;D.

UPDATE2 - 18.12.14:
    As said i refactored the second woodenplanks, i didn't like the clipping and look of it. So i overhauled it complete:

Additionally i created a new big brick block, i think it is important to have block of different detail scale. If i build a castle i have strong and large scaled blocks and houses inside the castle have little brickstones. So we can give the world some subscale from texture. Especially, look at the diplacement of the stones, i hope you like! :)

As i got back into texturing i looked the first texture i created, and now i think it was really bad. I will improve it soon too. I hope with more trained skills to get better and better textures.

UPDATE - 20.12.14:
    I refactored my first bricktexture, it looked a bit weird the new one looks better in my opinion (Ignore the grass at the bottom is WIP):

The new blocktexture i want to introduce is the log, i noticed we have no log to build with so i made one:

Additionally i made a fur with alpha channel, you only have to pick the image and you can place it every wear as wall carpet or on the floor :). I think this way we can add a lot of clutter like hanging shields, swords and so on.

Best regards to every one!

• Maybe I am asking for too much, but I would really like to see the developers inplementing good community textures (and other stuff) in their game.
    Because, e.g. in Minecraft, the standard textures are pretty bad of course and there are some pretty good mods out there, but those mods are usually not that easy to install (especially for new players) and often, even when the new mods come with way higher resolution textures, some things still look better in the standard version.
    Furthermore, installing mods always leads to problems. I guess that's not big trouble for people with knowledge, but I hate trying to figure out, how I get stuff to work, especially after an update.
    If the devs however, would officially implement community made stuff and maybe improve it themselves, I would be able to easier get a very enjoyable game. of course, the devs than would have to varify those new features, as mods often require more power, so that you can still run the game on a not so good pc with lower settings.

• Thats great !!! just wish you show how the technical way works, so others can follow this way and create their own textures.

so please show how you do it ...

• No problem man, just look the other thread in this topic i hope it helps you ;). How to create a texture itself is easy you just need a program like gimp and some base textures. The rest is learning ....

• No problem man, just look the other thread in this topic i hope it helps you ;). How to create a texture itself is easy you just need a program like gimp and some base textures. The rest is learning ....

Thanks for the answer, but maybe i am blind, whre ist the "other Topic in this thread" ?

the only place i see something with textures are in the folder data\assets of the game and this is a jar file. so if thats the place where the textures are stored, how you edit or open that file ? same technic like the minecraft stuff ?

• Thanks for showing us the textures you have created. I can already imagine some places in my world where they would look great. If the developers would be willing to vet textures created by users it would not take long before a large library would be available. None the less, I am sure you get the opportunity to add these at some point in the future.

• Added 2 new Textures in Post^^.
    Yep thats what i thought too, creating content so you have it when you need it ;D. I can also give it out like a preview version then that should be no problem, too. It's amazing you give so much feedback to this :). If you have some wishes which block is needed in a medieval style world just ask here, i am thankful for each inspiration.

• Thanks for showing us the textures you have created. I can already imagine some places in my world where they would look great. If the developers would be willing to vet textures created by users it would not take long before a large library would be available. None the less, I am sure you get the opportunity to add these at some point in the future.

You've given me an idea, cheers. :thumbsup:

• Would you be able to make a roof texture for a small cottage? I was thinking about a block that looks like straw, but that might not be the best solution. It should look like it is not a terribly expensive material to build with, something that the commoners use because they can't afford anything better. With all of that said it should have a charming quality to it. Any thoughts or textures would be most appreciated. Thanks! :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!