Explain setting a server up to a newb

• Hi there!

I'm completely new to games like Rising World and have never hosted a server in my life. My friend and I have spent the best part of two hours trying to either connect to each others games (via Open to LAN), or using the server files provided here Hosting a multiplayer game
    We've tried all the IP addresses imaginable (found through IPconfig and websites) and the "server" executable Jav file provided in the previous link won't load up, even after executing the windows script (whatever that means). So I'm at a total dead end. We're feeling pretty overwhelmed with information on the subject of servers frankly, when we're been told we can just connect through Open to LAN.
    I know it's probably a lot to ask, but can someone please, in plain English, explain how we connect to each others games, to someone who's not done 'anything' like this before. It's literally for 2 people to play together, so if we don't need the server, great.

Thanks! :)

• Do you live in the same household? Or do you want to play via internet?

First of all: Starting the "server.jar" directly causes the server to run in the background, this prevents you from starting it up again (since the port is now already occupied). So before doing anything else, please have a look in your taskmanager in the "Processes" tab and kill any "java.exe" or "javaw.exe" processes you can find ;)

• If you live in the same household (i.e. you're in the same local network), you can ignore the next steps. In this case you can simply start a LAN session by pressing the red "Open for LAN" button, and your friend can connect to your local IP address (the one you can get by typing "ipconfig" into the windows command prompt, it's the "IPv4-Address" there, usually it begins with "192.168.x.x").

• If you want to play via internet, the easiest way is if you and your friend already have an IPv6 address. You can find out if you have an IPv6 address by visiting this page (an IPv6 address is a long number, separated by colons): http://ipv6.whatismyv6.com/

• If you have an IPv6 address, both of you have to add "+ipv6" (without quot. marks) as launch option in Steam, now you can start the game, once of you can host a session by pressing the red "Open for LAN" button, the other one can connect to the IPv6 address of the host (multiplayer -> connect to ip).

• If you don't have an IPv6 address yet, you can either forward the ports in your router, or alternatively use a program like Tunngle or Hamachi.

• If you want to forward the ports in your router, you have to forward the ports 4254, 4255, 4256, 4257, 4258 and 4259 TCP and UDP. If you can tell me the name of your router model, I can give more information about how to do that. Once the ports are forwarded, your friend has to connect to your remote IP, which can be found here for example: http://ipv4.whatismyv6.com/
  • We don't live in the same house no, we're trying to connect two people into a shared game via the internet. When I create a world in Single Player, and click Open for LAN, my friend tries both my IPv4 and IPv6 address to get into my game, with no luck :(
    Are there any posts about setting up Rising World with Hamatchi (or something to that effect) for beginners?

• Sorry about the slow reply, been a bit busy lately!

So I've set up Hamatchi, my friend is hooked up to the network I've created. However, I'm still facing the problem in which when I double click the "server.jar" file (which I now know runs in the background, thank you red51!), then open Rising World, click on the world and click "Open To LAN", the game crashes ?(

• when does it crash

in the loading screen
    on the startup
    in the game when your friend tries to connect
    or only when you click open to lan

is it the same for your friend

ask him to start lan

• However, I'm still facing the problem in which when I double click the "server.jar" file (which I now know runs in the background, thank you red51!), then open Rising World, click on the world and click "Open To LAN", the game crashes

When you execute the "server.jar", it runs in the background, and it uses (by default) the server port "4255". When pressing the "Open to LAN" button, you start a second server, which tries to bind to the 4255 port as well (but that doesn't work, since it's already in use by the "server.jar") ;)
    Why do you want to run two servers simultaneously? If you just want to join the server, you have to go to multiplayer -> connect to ip

• Ahhhhhhh! Wonderful, thank you! I was following the instructions in one of the videos provided by Joni909 (Thank you soooo much for those by the way, visual learner over here, so that was perfect :D ) but that was working on Minecraft, so probably a different setup.

We're on!!!

Thank you so much again for your help guys! I'm autistic and really struggle with lots of reading and I cannot tell you how much it means to me to have people just explain the basics as opposed to Googling forever! Now we're off into the world of Rising World to build and be merry!

I hope you guys have a great day!
    Thanks again!!

:D<3:D<3:D<3:D<3:D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!