Anyone using the Linux Client?

• Anyone tried the linux client yet? Still home with a sick kid....so, I thought I would check out the linux client. Updates to follow....

• Yes. I am using the linux client. I am on Ubuntu 14.10, intel 2500k and an nvidia 780. I initially got the client to run right out of the gate. There was an issue where pasting in a password to the client, on the first screen where you create an account is, would crash the client. Easy fix, I just typed it in. After that I went to settings and changed to fullscreen and upped the graphics substantially. Now it refuses to launch. I figured it was a java issue, so I listed out java versions installed by typing "update-java-alternatives -l" in the console. I then selected java 8 by typing in "update-java-alternatives -s java-8-oracle." It is always the same, the game loads for just a split second then crashes. As in it shows "Rising World" in the friends window but then goes away almost instantly.

Next I will try java 7 I suppose. After that I will probly try and update my display driver. After that I will probly be frothing at the mouth with rage and remember to check the log for java.

Let me know how it goes for you.

• Now I can't even log in. I could when I first downloaded Rising World, now I am jus a guest? Very odd.

• /home/username/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RisingWorld

I edited config.properties too manually turn off fullscreen and changed from 1920x1080 too 1024x768. This got the menu to load. I tried once again to turn on full screen, it crashed.

So now I am playing on 1920x1080 while windowed. Seems to work okay I guess. Hopefully someone can get to this at some point.

And from the log file in the games root directory:
    Error details:
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to find fullscreen display mode matching settings
    com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay.createContext(LwjglDisplay.java:79)
    com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay.runLoop(LwjglDisplay.java:177)
    com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:228)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

• No worries on the known issues. I was just doing my due dilligence as a fan of your game. Keep up the good work! :)

• Hit a snag. I had the crappy good for nothing open source java installed.

Hd to patch/upgrade ubuntu itself (doing that now)....

Will "apt-get" install the real java when that is done.

• If you know the root game install directory you can look up input_console and change the console button to anything there. I am not on Mac, so I can't help you there.

However, on linux the file would have this path: "/home/username/.steam/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/config.properties". So you should be able to cross reference and just make whatever key you want the console key.

• Well, ran into the full screen issue as well. I believe it is related to the launcher bar is in conflict with the "fullscreen"...if you were foolish enough to set fullscreen and the game crashed do the following

Open HOME and do a "control-h" (wuill show hidden files)
    move to: /home/<account name>/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/RisingWorld
    set config file's fullscreen to FALSE

Relaunch and you are in business.

• Up and running, have creative sound card issue so no sound....but, that is an OS issue. Got slightly better ping from Deadlands.

Code
    sudo apt-get install default-jre

<- I used opensource because i was not thinking and just auto installed right after removing it. If it doesnt work for you reach out to me and I will see what I can do.

• Ok did some testing at work...something about switching from "window" mode to full screen goes wrong. Going to full screen closes window and refreshes just nothing happens....game logs dont show a crash which makes me think the game thinks it is still running.

Digging, into a hint someone gave me that the game/app might not have permissions to go to full screen (which makes no sense).....and/or a called event that the video driver doesnt understand (which i understand even less). Will test it more this weekend...... Tonight, after a few beers I will modify the config file to reflect fullscreen BEFORE game launch to see if that resolves it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!