Novus Inceptio

• huh... so novus is masculine and inceptio is feminine? I have to wonder if that's intentional if it is gramatically incorrect.

I actually bought it. Terrain graphics are ok. Many of models do seem substandard but could be placeholders. It seems to have a bit of content in it. I am getting accustomed to the menu system which seems a bit convoluted and has some unnecessary buttons especially an extra button to press before performing a craft. Seems un-necessary. Oh well, it seems interesting enough to follow. I learned the hardway that if I dont like something in 2 hours then refund it and keep an eye on it further.

One interesting thing I will note and this will tie in to discussions on the ui that we have had. You can toggle mouse cursor from the character view direction to the ui by pressing the alt key. This is really cool. Many panels such as inventory and character stats are modular and can be relocated.

Also, next tothe hotbar is a tool hotbar. Any crafted tools are placed here and expand the options available with object interaction. For example, if you have a hammer in the tool hot bar then you can craft a pickaxe or a saw. If you have the pickaxe in the tool hotbar then you can mine large boulders with an interact key (pointing to an object shows several keyboard keys for various actions. Very interesting system. You use this same interaction when interacting with trees and given choices such as collect bark, collect sap, collect branches. Very interesting. Not all applicable to Rising World but does offer a few ideas.

• as an additional note, i think the developer is going for an ark type of game with advanced crafting options, no dinosaurs, and strange lights in the sky such as for drop points I am assuming.

There are also strange orbs that appear near the ground. When you step close to it then you get warped to a mineshaft / cave system.

Another interesting feature is that your character actually will grow old and die. Overall health and debuffs will affect your lifespan. When you die, your offspring inherit your skills but I haven't gotten that far to see how that works. You do start out the game in a kind of spacecraft with a cloning station and plant seeds to cultivate somehow. So I guess you are colonizing a new planet? Interesting.

• congrats miwarre, i suppose you are german. german speaks latin better than italian

Thanks, I am actually Italian, but I take this as a compliment! I studied Latin for 8 years at the school (old "Scuola Media"..., which speaks about my age), for another 4 years at the University, I have a degree in Latin Palaeography, and I have messed with Latin since (to eventually end up as a programmer, go figure!), so I was a bit struck by the ungrammaticality.

huh... so novus is masculine and inceptio is feminine? I have to wonder if that's intentional if it is gramatically incorrect.

Yes, novus is masculine and inceptio is feminine. It might be intentional (while I cannot see how) or it might be a 'confusion' with the Novus ordo seclorum motto appearing in the verso of the Great Seal of the U.S.. The motto is in itself peculiar for the adoption of the medieval orthography seclorum in stead of the classical sæculorum.

• yeah, I almost didnt buy the game just because of the Direct X requirement. But there are many other DirectX games I already own and enjoy so I just accept that I have to run Microsoft Windows as much as I hate it.

I know there are ways to run directx in wine but I haven't dug into it to deeply and expect it to have compatibility issues.

I just don't understand why as a developer of a new game that you would choose DirectX over OpenGL. Does one have a steeper learning curve?

• I just don't understand why as a developer of a new game that you would choose DirectX over OpenGL. Does one have a steeper learning curve?

I stopped dealing with DirectX at DirectX 9 times. Anyway, while OpenGL only deals with graphics, DirectX also deals with sound and other goodies, so I understand it might be quicker to gain proficiency in it alone than in OpenGL + OpenAL + ...

Also, OpenGL might be seen as somewhat more low level than DirectX, with more to do by yourself.

Anyway, I think very few today dev teams use either architecture directly; most use some higher level framework (as RW itself, which uses OpenGL by way of LWJGL through JMonkey), the programming language they are more familiar with also being part of the landscape.

if you're a linux user
    witch linux do you use i've tried many and are recently trying kubuntus

Linux Mint (now at 17.3) here with very plain Mate desktop, after a false start with OpenSUSE several years ago and an attempt at Ubuntu (Unity :evil: vade retro!).

• For me, I don't even try a game « windows only » (I had some, like bethesda games) but devs who don't care of linux users don't need my money. And now, there is lot's of more choice of good games on linux (thank's to steamOs I think).

I'm using actually a debian jessie juice, with i3wm as windows manager. For who wants a (very) light WM (tiling style) with lot's of customization and key control, it's worth a try.

• i just look because i just had too

but it's bad that at least two of the most popular game engines (unity and unreal engine) is not for Linux users even though you can make Linux game from them

that's something on it's own that stops people from using linux especially for past windows users

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!