GPS Plug-in for world navigation and self-locating

• Hello! Thank you for the plugin. I have downloaded and installed gps_1_1_0.zip . I created the pulgins folder as I have no other plugins. I can see the need coordinates at the bottom center of the screen, but I cannot bring up the GUI. I tried typing /gps and also /gps on in the command line chat screen. Both of these get me a "Command not found" answer.

I am running in singleplayer on a Mac, using OSX 10.11.6 Not sure that makes a difference. That the coordinates show and seem to work tells me it's properly installed. When I move the coordinates change. (I have changed the settings. properties to: allowTpToWp=1 and was hoping to test that, as well as set a waypoint.

Any ideas?

Thanks again—I hope I can get it to work!

• Hello! Thank you for the plugin. [...] I can see the need coordinates at the bottom center of the screen, but I cannot bring up the GUI. I tried typing /gps and also /gps on in the command line chat screen. Both of these get me a "Command not found" answer.

I am running in singleplayer on a Mac, using OSX 10.11.6 Not sure that makes a difference. That the coordinates show and seem to work tells me it's properly installed.

This seems the case to me too!

Any ideas?

Spelling? 'Wrong' slash? (like '\' instead of '/')? Upper case instead of lower?

However, you modified the settings.properties file. This is surely possible, but care should be taken to save the file back as a text only file. If the editor you used to edit the file added some coding to the file, the Java reader will not properly parse the contents. This can be as trivial as adding an UTF-8 byte order mark (BOM) at the beginning (this actually happened to another user).

To check, you may try to rename the settings.properties file to something else and restart your RW (this will ignore the file and use the built-in values): if the command is accepted, the file has something wrong. Then, to customise the settings, you have to find an editor which does not add codes, or configure your current editor not to do this (usually it is possible, but how depends upon the specific editor).

Thanks again—I hope I can get it to work!

I hope too!

• I don't think there are typos. I typed it just as shown. The settings.properties file I used a text editor (Text Wrangler—which I use for HTML and CSS coding so I think it's a simple editor) and changed only the 0 for a 1. So it's doubtful that changed. I will try removing the setting file as you suggest, and report back.

EDIT: I removed the settings.properties file from the plugins. Restarted RW and the coordinates are still showing normally, I typed: /gps (hit enter) but got the "command not found" reply. I typed: /gps on and also got the same reply. I also tried renaming the settings.properties file and leaving it in the plugins folder. Restarting RW and trying the same commands—I get the same result.

So it doesn't appear to be a problem with the settings.properties file.

• Sorry, the answer was obvious, but I didn't see it!

You are entering the /gps command in the wrong window! As with all plug-ins, the command is to be entered in the chat window, while you are entering it in the console window.

By default the chat window is open with the [T] key and, if you enter a command which is not recognised, it simply ignores it without any feedback.

The console window, however, is open with one of these keys: [~], [\] or [|] (I do not remember exactly which, as I have remapped it in my RW copy) and it returns indeed a "command not found" if you type something not acceptable.

So, please enter the command in the chat window and it should work.

;)

• Miware have you started to implement any of these suggestions ?

mjminfo

• hi, I've setup a test server (linux Mint 18.1) and setup a new world with the latest server RW 0.8.1.1, rw gui latest and gps 1.20
    when i set a new wp i get an java error, but after moving the gps to a new wp and back the wp is set.
    now when I setup more wp it comes to a point that it crashes the RW server, here is the log attached .
    hope it helps to find the bug

thanks
    mjminfo

• 0 0 getBytes cp: 4194339
    2017/02/16 12:06 AM server.e
    WARNING: CreateDir Worlds failed

It looks like it can't create the folder to create and store the world. Check to make sure that user owns the directory and has permission to +RW .

• @mjminfo: sorry to be late in replying, this morning my PC refused to start and I spent the morning on fsck! Anyway, I repeated the procedure you describe with the same RW components you list and I cannot replicate the issue: way points are correctly created without any error message.

Could you post the exact sequence of steps you do to have the error? It might be that a certain sequence of steps (maybe one I have not thought of) uncovers a bug or it may be something specific to your system.

(Your system is not completely different from mine, as I do all my developing and testing (and playing!) under Linux Mint 17.3. I have not upgraded to 18.x, because it does not support the Catalyst graphics drivers; just to compare notes, do you have an nVidia card or are satisfied with the Mesa drivers?)

• @mjminfo: sorry to be late in replying, this morning my PC refused to start and I spent the morning on fsck! Anyway, I repeated the procedure you describe with the same RW components you list and I cannot replicate the issue: way points are correctly created without any error message.

Could you post the exact sequence of steps you do to have the error? It might be that a certain sequence of steps (maybe one I have not thought of) uncovers a bug or it may be something specific to your system.

(Your system is not completely different from mine, as I do all my developing and testing (and playing!) under Linux Mint 17.3. I have not upgraded to 18.x, because it does not support the Catalyst graphics drivers; just to compare notes, do you have an nVidia card or are satisfied with the Mesa drivers?)

Yes I do have an Nvidia gforce 220 and using the proprietary drivers . As I said, it's a new world and I set the spawn wp first on wp1, even though I got the error , after I moved on the list and back the wp was there. Then I moved around the world and and set the other wp's , but every time I set a wp I got the same java error. After a couple of wp I got kick from the server and when I checked the server it was down. That's the log that is in my previous post.

every wp shows up after the error, and I can use them to move around the world no problem. It's just that after a few errors it shutdown the server.

my server setup is a pc P4 3ghz 4GBram ssd60GB Nvidia Gforce220 1G , running linux Mint 18.1
    my workstation is an i5-3570k 3.4Ghz 16GBram ssd256GB Nvidia Gforce 670 2G, running win7 Ultimate

• @mjminfo: thanks for the reply and for the details on your setup.

I am still unable to replicate the error here. The log is useful to understand where the error occurred but not why; I can make some educated guess but nothing more, until I see the error happening under the debugger.

One guess I can make from the log is that, at a certain point, possibly near the beginning of the section (unfortunately, the log only has occasional time stamps), you had two copies of the GPS GUI open (or at least running, possibly one of them hidden in some way).

I do not understand how this can happen as, once one of them is on, it is not possible to access the chat and issue the "/gps" command again.

Does this ring any bell to you? Do you remember anything unusual or strange happening before you could start using the GPS GUI? Some chat command (apparently?) not responding?

A couple of questions:

1) I assume the sequence of individual steps was:
    - issue the chat command "/gps"
    - on the GPS GUI, press the "Next WP" arrow one or more times to access an empty WP slot
    - press the "New WP" icon
    - enter some text in the input box (incidentally, the text itself may have some relevance, do you remember it?)
    - press ENTER
    - ERROR message in the chat

Correct? Did I forget something?

2) does this error keep happening even after restarting the server or not?

I am sorry for these inconvenience; the whole matter is still in development and I appreciate your support to improve the matters.

• hi,
    nope I'm only running 1 instance of gps not 2

for #1 :
    go to a place where I want a wp, press T then in chat /gps, in gps choose next empty wp spot (4) , enter text (river) and press enter [img1],
    in chat got red error message and in gps it does not show my wp name on the 4th spot [img2],
    I click on gps arrow to move to spot 5 then on arrow to go back to spot 4 and it's all there [img3]

#2 my server was off before this test, server log attached and also the settings.properties of the gps
    if anything else you need just let me know.
    thanks for letting me debug it with you

• @mjminfo: the answer was obvious in the log but I didn't think of checking this detail.

You have TWO versions of the GPS installed: both 1.1.0 and 1.2.0. Remove one of them and things should improve.

wow I do have 2 gps , one called /plugins/gps.old and the other /plugins/gps , I was thinking that by renaming the old version .old that the plugin would not load . Live and learn :whistling::saint: ....

I'll try and update you later thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!