Can't Connect to a particular Server

• Ever since the updates this week, I have not been able to connect with a particular server that I have been on for quite some time. I can connect with other servers just fine, just not this one. I have contacted the host admin and he does not know what the issue would be.

I get the "Connecting...." screen, but it just stays there and never loads anything.

I backed up my game, uninstalled, deleted the c:\...\common\RisingWorld folder, restart computer and reinstalled and this did not fix the issue.

Any ideas? What could be wrong?

• So it stays in the "Connecting..." screen? Or do you get a "Unable to connect" message after a few seconds? Does the screen freeze, or do the dots (next to "Connecting") still "move"?

• I noticed a couple of things that don't seem right...

First, when I do a clean install ("Delete Local Content...." in Steam, delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RisingWorld, restart, reinstall in Steam), I still have my "Single Player" game... Not sure how that is still there? Is there something else that must be deleted? I did copy the "RisingWorld" folder elsewhere to be able to restore my single player world.

After a reinstall, if I do "Verify Integrity of Game Cache...", it says "1 file failed to validate and will be reaquired". If I verify again, it says "All files successfully validated". If I then run the game and don't even open any world at all, quit and "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..." again it says "1 file failed to validate and will be reaquired" again???

• It stays on the screen with no message and the dots are not moving.

In this case maybe try to enable logging, eventually we can see what's going on there. To do that, go to your game directory (rightclick on rw in steam -> properties -> local files -> browse local files), open the config.properties file with a texteditor, set "game_debug_console" to true, save the changes and start the game again. Now connect to the particular server, wait a few seconds (maybe at least 20 or 30 seconds), then quit the game, go to the "Logs" subfolder (in your game directory) and upload the latest log file here :)

First, when I do a clean install ("Delete Local Content...." in Steam, delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RisingWorld, restart, reinstall in Steam), I still have my "Single Player" game... Not sure how that is still there? Is there something else that must be deleted? I did copy the "RisingWorld" folder elsewhere to be able to restore my single player world.

Yes, Steam does not delete game folders that were created after installation. Since the "Worlds" folder is only created when you create your first world, it does not get deleted. In order to get rid of it, you have to delete the "Rising World" folder in "steam/steamapps/common/" manually

After a reinstall, if I do "Verify Integrity of Game Cache...", it says "1 file failed to validate and will be reaquired". If I verify again, it says "All files successfully validated". If I then run the game and don't even open any world at all, quit and "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..." again it says "1 file failed to validate and will be reaquired" again???

That's nothing to worry about. If there is a file which gets reaquired again and again, it's just a configuration file which changes once it's downloaded.

• Yes, Steam does not delete game folders that were created after installation. Since the "Worlds" folder is only created when you create your first world, it does not get deleted. In order to get rid of it, you have to delete the "Rising World" folder in "steam/steamapps/common/" manually

I deleted the entire "steam/steamapps/common/RisingWorld" folder and my single player game still was there after re-install??

I working on getting a log file...

• I deleted the entire "steam/steamapps/common/RisingWorld" folder and my single player game still was there after re-install??

Is Steam Cloud Sync enabled? In this case Steam uploads your world to the cloud and downloads it again if it is missing on your client. By default it is enabled, you can either disable it globally in Steam, or per application (to do that, rightclick on RW in your lib -> Properties -> go to the "Updates" tab -> uncheck "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for Rising World"

Log file...

Thanks for the log file :) Everything seems to be fine there... I'm not sure, but it looks like a serverside issue, maybe your playerdata is corrupted (at least if you can connect to other servers without any issues). If you have contact to the serverowner, you can ask him to delete your playerdata in the database.

• Is Steam Cloud Sync enabled? In this case Steam uploads your world to the cloud and downloads it again if it is missing on your client. By default it is enabled, you can either disable it globally in Steam, or per application (to do that, rightclick on RW in your lib -> Properties -> go to the "Updates" tab -> uncheck "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for Rising World"

Thanks for the log file :) Everything seems to be fine there... I'm not sure, but it looks like a serverside issue, maybe your playerdata is corrupted (at least if you can connect to other servers without any issues). If you have contact to the serverowner, you can ask him to delete your playerdata in the database.

Thanks red51... Steam Cloud Sync was enabled but don't think that was causing any of the issue. That makes sense now.

If the server owner deletes my playerdata will I loose my build progress on the server?

• If the server owner deletes my playerdata will I loose my build progress on the server?

You will only loose your current inventory, and you will also respawn at the default server spawn (so you have to find the way to your home).
    Alternatively a serverlog would be very helpful (containing the moment when you tried to connect).

• You will only loose your current inventory, and you will also respawn at the default server spawn (so you have to find the way to your home).Alternatively a serverlog would be very helpful (containing the moment when you tried to connect).

@Eomaetheus
    Eom,
    Could we try and see if we can delete my playerdata and/or capture a server log while I try and connect?

• I would do that, but I am not sure if I could access that. I'm not the owner of the server, so unless she shows up soon I'll need to find a way to contact her.

• I do technically have access to server controls, but I'm not sure I can access playerdata from it. The server is rented through gtx gaming, and another admin is letting me use their account to conduct daily restarts, including updates.

• It's in the world database. Does the server use MySQL or SQLite? If it's SQLite, the world file is in a subfolder the "Worlds" folder in the server directory (if the world is called "MyWorld", the file is named "MyWorld.db" [in a "MyWorld" subfolder]).
    In the world database there is a table called "Player", just delete the particular row that belongs to @Jon_miner

The world file can be opened with an SQL editor, like Navicat for example.

But maybe create a backup of the world (at least a backup of the table or the "world.db" file), just in case something goes wrong.

Alternatively we can prepare a command for the next update to delete a player from the database ;)

But if you have access to the serverlogs (they can be found in the "Logs" folder), that would be more preferable (it gives at least an indicator if it's really caused by corrupted player data or maybe something else) :) In this case it would be helpful to shutdown the server and restart it, then let @Jon_miner connect to it, and once that failed, check out the "Logs" folder for the latest log file (either upload it here, or send it via PM to me)

• Are you referring to a database in the RW local files or the game hosting service that I can access? If it is the latter, I do not have access to the world database. I've looked through all the tabs for the world file, and I have not found them. (I'm pretty sure it is accessible only by the server owner.)

It would be easier to delete his character with a command, to be honest. The only other option would be to get the owner to delete his info, but the owner is never online anymore. I can't find anyone who can contact them as well. I sent the owner a new message anyway. In the meantime, I'll continue looking for options and taking suggestions, but I can't do much server-side.

• When you say "a database in the RW local files", do you mean local to your computer or local to the server? I would think you would have to get access to the database on the server, not the one on your local computer. Maybe @red51 can explain things better. Do you have the ability to turn on logging on the server (I believe by editing the server.properties file game_debug_console property) and send red51 a log? I suspect not. It appears that if an "owner" of the server can not be contacted, then I will have to just abandon my efforts on this server unless red51 can come up with some other idea.

• My only other thought is, if there is no longer anyone actively "managing" the server (an owner), then maybe a request can be made to GTX Gaming to have the "owner" changed to someone else with "full access". From what I see (brief look) on how the GTX Gaming hosting works, there appears to be "tools" available to do just about anything necessary with the proper access. At least an ability to get the server logs. Database access mods may not be directly available, but maybe the DB can be downloaded, edited to remove my player data and then uploaded to the server again....

• The database is on the server of course, not in the client files ^^ But I can implement a command to do that, or alternatively a plugin (if that's sufficient, or if you have access to install the plugin) :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!