Area Protection [WIP, Not Released Yet!]

• A first announce to disclose that I am working on a Java plug-in for Area Protection and Management.

It is not a port, it is a complete rewrite from scratch. I am trying to go as much visual and GUI-ish as possible, so the progress is not very quick. A couple of screen shots to show some of the work so far.

There will be only ONE chat command, which will bring up this main plug-in menu (with clickable items):

The New Area command opens the area selection tool to create the new area; details about the area being created (centre location and sizes along the two coordinates) are displayed in real time in the info panel:

The idea is to be backward compatible with the existing areas, if possible, but this plug-in will allow to set the permissions of each area individually.

Stay tuned!

• Very cool but i think the rising world team are also building a new protection script oO well thats what red51 told me some months ago, i guess if they do make one it would not harm anyone to have two :D

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Very cool but i think the rising world team are also building a new protection script oO well thats what red51 told me some months ago, i guess if they do make one it would not harm anyone to have two :D

I assumed that too. But, seeing that it was not included (or posted in some way) in the API release and all the pieces were already there, I though to go on...

• Things could go faster, but real life sometime kicks in, this time under the appearance of a flu... Anyway, this is the "Dialogue Box" with the Area Properties:

where it is possible to set individual permissions by clicking on them. It took me a while to get it right, but it seems to work now.

And, of course, the UI is completely translatable through external files which can be added by the users without requiring a change to the plug-in.

Compared with the development of the GUI, the implementation of the code for the actual protection is going to be a breeze... :sleeping:

Either way you'll probably beat the devs on release. I need one other than this Lua one. If you need someone to demo it, let me know :)

As it is going to be rather complex (at least to code, I hope not to use!), beta testing will be important.

More to follow...

• Na wann kommt den der erste teil schon lange nichts gehört ???

Good question!

First, I am busy finalising a number of collateral / support elements.

Second, I noticed that several events / object interactions relevant for the protection are not supported by the API yet, so I will probably release an provisional, partial, version but I do not feel very pushed to do this ASAP.

• This is awesome! If you want, I could add you to the Github organization, and this would allow others to create issues (improvements, suggestions, bugs, etc.) and collaborate on the code.

• This is awesome! If you want, I could add you to the Github organization, and this would allow others to create issues (improvements, suggestions, bugs, etc.) and collaborate on the code.

Hello @LordFoobar! Thanks for the offer. I have already published one of my plug-ins, the GUI back-end plug-in RWGui, in my own github area, but having a (hopefully!) single place for RW plug-in development would make a lot of sense.

I think that at least 'low level' sources, intended to be provide services shared among other plug-ins would surely benefit from this. So far, I have two of them: RWGui quoted above and the Bank interface definition. If you agree, I can move them to the RW github org.

• Miwarre,

Is it possible to set up groups as owners? this is a huge limitation of the existing area protection script

Well, development goes on rather slowly; also, the API support for relevant events is currently incomplete and this does not help a quick release.

Assuming the owner of an area can
    1) modify the area generic permissions
    2) add new (non-owning) players with specific permissions
    3) modify the area boundaries (not implemented yet, but I plan to add it)
    it would be rather simple to add a specific permission which allows to do the above.

• there isn't one yet, this is a work in progress (WIP). You can download the area protection script though from the scripts section of this forum.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!