Sorry but... HOW DO I RESTART!?!?

• Hello community,

I just got the game yesterday and set up a server for a couple friends. Not only yesterday's server save is gone, the server mysteriously doesn't start, and I have no clue on how to restart/shut down the server without actually shutting my PC down. There is no info anywhere what so ever.

Plz help

• the server runs in a CMD box, you can just click the little x up in the right top corner to close it, if for some reason you cant, then push ( Ctrl Alt Delete ) keys all at once and click Task Manager look for the CMD running application right click for options and click ( END TASK ) this will force your server to close

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • No this doesnt work. I close it either way and I can still easily connect to the server.

what sort of setup do you have, is your server with steam or did you download the server files from this website and use them ? also is the server running on your own computer, please give us more info to work with.

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Yes, I downloaded the files for a dedicated server from the tutorial. It is running on my own PC as well. Also, I'm running Win 10 if that's any help.

• I ran the server the same day I downloaded, set it up and it was all fine. I turn my PC off. The next day I wanna get on the server, it doesn't work. Everything seems fine in the CMD and there were no errors, but the server is just not starting. I can connect to other server fine, just not my own. I downloaded the server files once more and after replacing all the files it worked, I could connect normally. I could switch the map to a newly downloaded server, but the problem is is that I spawn somewhere else than previously, I don't have my inventory and the next time I restart my PC, the server won't work anyway, just like the previous one. It seems like after I restart my PC, the server files get corrupted or something. That's why I'm asking how to shut down the server, maybe it won't corrupt the files if I shut down the server before shutting my PC down.

• Are you re starting the server when you restart your PC before you load the game and goto and connect to it oO

Also setup your local ip to always use the same local ip for your computer as this can cause the address to change every time you start your PC

its highly unlikely the server dies because you turn your pc off more like some settings have changed since last time
    when running a server its almost always best to have a dedicated computer, one that's on 24/7 days a week with all static ip address's
    this way friends can connect anytime and its less likely settings will change.

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Ok look. I have discovered that no matter what, after I restart my PC, the server doesnt start, even if it was just downloaded. That's all. I just wanted to know if there is a solution for this. It doesnt matter if I change any settings, the server just doesnt start either way after a restart.

• you could look to see if your virus protection is blocking it

do you have an error report or can you show us the logs,

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • No, neither my anti-virus nor my firewall show any errors. Besides, if it was my anti-virus it wouldn't probably even let me turn on anything in the first place. Do you maybe know how saving work on RW servers? Is it periodical or does it save on exit?

• In the server folder (as you run it yourself, you should be able to access it easily) there are:

A) a screenlog.0 file (also text file), which also contains logging information

B) a Logs folder with logs(text files), look within the latest for error messages.

C) there might be files with rather funny names (sorry they are different from platform to platform, but they contain "err" in the name) with specific error reporting.

And, above all, how do you start the server? Do not start it by simply double clicking the server.jar or passing directly to Java; use the win_startscript.bat file instead.

1) Open a terminal (or console or command prompt, however it is called under Windows) in the folder where you placed the dedicated server and type: win_startscript.bat

Hoping this helps...

• If you're running the server on your local machine, make sure that port port forwarding is still active. As @yahgiggle mentioned, depending on your ISP, you may get a new IP after a given amount of time (usually 24 hours), so if your forwarded ports only take a specific IP into account, it may no longer be valid. Here you can find out if your ports are still forwarded: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Also make sure that you always run the server by executing the win_startscript.bat, never execute the server.jar file directly (unless you run it from a command prompt).

About the saving behaviour: The world will be saved every 10 seconds, and it will also be saved when the server shuts down gracefully.

• If you're running the server on your local machine, make sure that port port forwarding is still active. As @yahgiggle mentioned, depending on your ISP, you may get a new IP after a given amount of time (usually 24 hours), so if your forwarded ports only take a specific IP into account, it may no longer be valid. Here you can find out if your ports are still forwarded: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Also make sure that you always run the server by executing the win_startscript.bat, never execute the server.jar file directly (unless you run it from a command prompt).

About the saving behaviour: The world will be saved every 10 seconds, and it will also be saved when the server shuts down gracefully.

Red,

I know nothing about Windows the Linux script appears much more advanced and incorporates start and stop modes. The windows script just seems like a wrapper for running the jar. Nothing fancy. Windows has start/stop/restart modes for services just as Linux does. Would it be possible to have a new Windows script added that can be used as a Windows service?

• @zfoxfire: The win_startscript just grabs the memory parameter from the server.properties file and executes the server.jar with this argument. But the main reason to run the bat instead of the server.jar directly is to have a console available (many people just double click on the server.jar, which causes the server to run in the background - only way to close it would be to kill the process in the task manager).

We want to keep the start scripts as basic as possible, it's really just to cover the basic behaviour. I'm sure some people won't be happy if the server sets up new services in Windows^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!