Changelog 2016-12-31: Dungeons, Weather and a Happy New Year!

• If the ore detector would be able to detect dungeons that would be great

Or even bones (as there are lots of them in dungeons and shacks)

then no need for the dungeons to have an overground entrance, at least not all of them

just an idea

• So, I move to an unexplored area for finding dungeons and abandoned shafts. First impression : the caves are huge ! And not too much problem to find one. Love the torture bench, I wish we can build the Iron Maiden cage with that bench in futur. And the floor trap is so great ! I see it, I thought "ok, seem crappy". and I was right, I felt right after ! I find after that more dungeons (with F2) and they are not exactly the same. some time, some rooms are not present, some time the traps are not the same. Lot's of chest, I hope we can find later rare loots and as mentionned an indicator for another dungeon.

Thank you for this update, all take place. (flare and medical stuff are now so useful, the dungeons rushes are not so safe for our lifes)

• That seems a bit silly. It's a neat idea, yet let's nudge it more to some alternative compass type, or something like that. The "all in one device", or something along those lines. If a compass is going to stay a compass then I'll favour this "all in one device" while keeping ore detectors simplified also. Not being cruel, just that it seems a bit silly.

But yeah, I do agree that then that be a neat way to find the dungeons via another proper device. Not actually directly pointing towards the dungeons, just leading you in the general direction. I suggested a compass blue arrow, yet that was shunned upon for 'cluttering' the compass. I don't know........ :rolleyes:

• @ArcticuKitsu

I also had a thought of a dungeon detector, kinda like an or detector. The device would detect an "evil presence". However, my idea was to use audible queues to let you know something is nearby. I posted about this in the link below a few months back. This was after I noticed a heartbeat sound when you get close to Hell. I figured a heartbeat or some other "ominous sound" would let you know that a dungeon or enemy (perhaps the spiders) are nearby. I don't see anything like that in this update but I imagine something is planned based on Waveshapr's response in this thread. Perhaps an enemy presence would trigger a sound, not necessarily the dungeon itself however a dungeon is supposed to be a place where dangers exist so perhaps when the actual mobs come then the discovery of dungeons will change a bit.

I also had a new thought when I was watching you on twitch.tv explore the new dungeons. When you went to hell and your compass started acting up, i had a thought that magentic anomalies might be something to add which would be associated with dungeons. An unexpected change in your needle would clue you in to their presence.

An ominous feeling

• Maybe a more theatric approach would be to have dungeon ghosts who patrol the nearby area. When they encounter a player within, say, 100 blocks of the dungeon they get in your face for a couple of seconds and then take off in the direction of the dungeon, vanishing through cave walls or the ground itself.

The frequency of their appearance would increase as you get closer to the dungeon, accompanied by scary sounds, of course. A bit more involved than just having a detector device, but far more entertaining. :thumbsup:

I have no idea what it would take to create these wispy npc's, but it's an interesting concept.

• Maybe a more theatric approach would be to have dungeon ghosts who patrol the nearby area.....

I have no idea what it would take to create these wispy npc's, but it's an interesting concept.

Interesting idea. I'm not sure if this would deviate from Red51's desire to make the game realistic. However, I can certainly get onboard the idea of a ghostly NPC (should be possible once the player models and NPCs come out. A ghost could be a translucent washed-out human NPC character that lacks any color in its clothing. Maybe a task or goal in the game could be to collect the bones of the tortured soul from the dungeon and offer a proper burial.

On occasion I've seen the idea thrown around on having a player metric for reputation so depending on what you do to others or against animals, or even helping ghosts, would build your reputation in certain areas. Your reputation as a helper could be established by helping the souls of the dead find peace. Same with avoiding kiling certain animals or re-planting trees, or not being greedy when exploring dungeons.

I'm definitely loving this idea! Even if no ghosts come, there are spiders and snakes and rats added to the game but not really implemented yet. These might be found near dungeons as well. I still would love to detect magnetic anomalies on the compass.

• Axed the zombie stuff? They're still plausible, just need to keep the paranoia & fear in moderation. I can still see zombies when you keep them weighted & worthwhile, but keep them only in what could be considered a 'tainted' & poluted' place. Maybe closer to hell, or just a rare poluted biome, or a side effect from our industrialization that it would taint the dead from our nuclear waste. If you don't want zombies then don't go nuclear. <X

But I'm loving the idea of ghosts, but in a less scary way. I wouldn't play Rising World anymore if they kept jump scaring me to death. Make them more friendly, more of the wandering type that would see peace when you chest their bones near orbs, and etc. A head, rib cage, and 4 limb bones would do. Another thing. If there are helpful 'quest' ghosts I would put them in that big dungeon room with the double urns. Not in them, but in that room for how 'spacey' it is.

If you want jump scaring ghosts then give me NPC followers who follow you & attack, otherwise I'll shy away from dungeons in frustration & fear. :P

• I hope these tests can help you figure out the indoor rain problem

Thanks for the information! Unfortunately we didn't manage to fix the rain issues on MacOS yet, I don't have a Mac which makes it much more complicated to find a fix for this issue. Maybe a small question: Does the "grass masking" actually work? If you enable it in the settings, will grass be occluded by objects (items, construction elements, chopped trees etc)?

Dungeons need better loot variety

Yes, definitely. Unfortunately we don't have enough items which really fit into such an underground dungeon. More items will be added in the near future, especially after the big player models & items update ;)

the issue and frustrations I had was something I had to cheat to get around. Dungeons really need surface entrances, or more immersive entrances.

Currently dungeons spawn randomly at the end of caves. It's more an issue with caves that they're in most cases not connected to the surface. However, dungeons with surface entrances are already prepared (as well as some other surface dungeon types), they will be added to the game in the near future :)

The new hotfix is causing crash when starting the game, at least on my Win 7. Maybe it's something similar to that recent crash after the 0.8 update?

Does it still crash after the latest hotfix (0.8.0.3)? When does the crash occur exactly? Do you get an error message?

• Another small hotfix is now available (0.8.0.3), which fixes some of the remaining issues, for example the issue with frozen animals or disappearing construction elements while building. It's necessary to update your multiplayer servers for this update.

• [New] Weather can now also be disabled in singleplayer via config file (game_weather_enabled)
    • [New] Added command "gamedir" to open the game directory
    • [Change] It's no longer possible to create worlds with invalid file names
    • [Bugfix] Fixed crashes related to shader compilation errors on Linux
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue with disappearing construction elements / objects in certain situations when placing a new element
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue which caused animals to be freezed
    • [Bugfix] Fixed sky shader issue on Geforce 200 series graphics cards
    • [Bugfix] Now rain should REALLY be visible through glass panes
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue with vanishing planks when placed directly in front of a block (need Feedback)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed console command "deleteplayer" (mp)
  • Does it still crash after the latest hotfix (0.8.0.3)? When does the crash occur exactly? Do you get an error message?

Yes, it still crash after the 0.8.0.3.
    It occurs just after I start the game through Steam. I get the standard APPCRASH error message for risingworld64.exe file (MSVCR100.dll). There is no error log for this crash.
    I also noticed, that when I start the game in the RW folder, it works fine.

• It occurs just after I start the game through Steam. I get the standard APPCRASH error message for risingworld64.exe file (MSVCR100.dll). There is no error log for this crash.

Hmm... what happens when you repair VCredist 2013? To do that, go to your game directory into the "_CommonRedist" folder -> vcredist -> 2013 and run the setup (x64 if you have a 64 bit OS). If it is already installed, it's important to select "Repair". Does it work then?

• VCredist is repaired, local files on Steam are verified, I updated Java and Geforce drivers too and it still occurs.

Which Windows edition do you use exactly (home, professional, ultimate)? Maybe try the hotfix nightly: Rightclick on RW in Steam -> Properties -> Betas -> select "hotfix - old exe" (no code required), does the game start then?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!