Changelog 2016-12-31: Dungeons, Weather and a Happy New Year!

• We wish you a Happy new Year!

Hi folks!

Finally the long awaited update is available! It introduces dungeons, but also some other features like weather, new items, a gramophone (which can play music) and much more!

The dungeons include underground generated structures, abandoned cabins in the woods and underwater ruins. More dungeons will follow in the near future. Unfortunately there are no enemies in the dungeons yet, but once that changes, the dungeons will be much more interesting!

Apart from the dungeons, this update introduces weather, including rain, snow, fog, thunder etc. More effects (like sandstorms) are planned.

This update also introduces several new items, new animals (a deer, boar and a polar bear) and some new objects, including a working gramophone! You can find some records for the gramophone in abandoned forest cabins.

Last but not least we did a lot of changes under the hood, including a reworked rendering, and especially the implementation of a logarithmic depth buffer. This greatly improves the rendering precision, reducing z-fighting (i.e. the "flickering" of construction elements or posters) drastically. Unfortunately, the logarithmic depth buffer has an impact on performance - to improve your framerate, you can disable it in the config.properties file (set "graphic_logarithmic_depth_buffer" to false).

Have fun with this update and stay tuned for the next one! :)

• [New] Dungeons, including underground dungeons, underwater ruins, forest cabins
    • [New] Spike traps and ground traps, which spawn randomly in dungeons
    • [New] Weather, including rain, heavy rain, snow, storm, thunder, fog, cloudiness
    • [New] New animals: boar, polar bear, deer, rat
    • [New] New creative mode tools: block placement and terrain area edit
    • [New] New object: gramophone, which can be used to play records
    • [New] New item: record (including 10 different classical pieces)
    • [New] New items: wooden grill spit and skewer (can be used to cook meat)
    • [New] New objects: torture rack, iron maiden, judas cradle, cages, bones, bone throne, bone torch, bone statue
    • [New] New objects: bear skin rug, mattress (useful for custom beds), old piano, old table, old shelf
    • [New] New items: bear pelt, polarbear pelt, deer pelt, moose pelt, goat pelt, fox pelt, sheep pelt, boar hide, cow hide, pig hide
    • [New] New block textures: grass, dirt, stone, gravel, farmland, sand (terrain textures)
    • [New] Added glare effect to torches and lights (can be disabled)
    • [New] Logarithmic depth buffer, which provides much better precision (greatly reduces flickering of objects [e.g. posters] at large distances)
    • [New] New underground music (3 new tracks)
    • [New] Added footstep sounds to animals
    • [New] Added fire sound to torches (which are placed in the world)
    • [New] Added size info to area selection tool (e.g. blueprint area selection)
    • [New] Added breath/air indicator when underwater
    • [New] Added dummy image for images which are still downloading
    • [New] Added settings for color vibrance
    • [New] Added slider to change intensity of the depth-of-field filter
    • [New] Added setting "graphic_fog" to the config.properties file to enable/disable fog
    • [New] Added setting "mp_query_timeout" to the config to change the server query timeout value (milliseconds)
    • [New] Added audio settings to adjust volume of weather effects and world music (gramophone)
    • [New] Added "offlineban" command to ban players who are currently offline
    • [Change] Greatly reduced flickering of overlapping construction elements (e.g. planks)
    • [Change] Improved overall framerate
    • [Change] Improved performance of dynamic lights (i.e. flares, flashlights etc)
    • [Change] Blueprints which contain blocks can be rotated now (in steps of 90°)
    • [Change] Blueprints will be kept in inventory after using them (in creative mode)
    • [Change] Added illuminated display to the ore detector, also added red/green indicator lamp
    • [Change] Thirst will be slowly quenched when it's raining or snowing
    • [Change] Ground gets wet when it's raining (only affects footstep sounds at the moment)
    • [Change] Tweaked sunrise/sunset effect
    • [Change] Animals will now drown when they are underwater
    • [Change] Grass will be removed now when placing a blueprint
    • [Change] Increased visible range of grass (increased render distance)
    • [Change] Improved many sound effects
    • [Change] You can hold the keys now when selecting a blueprint area
    • [Change] You can use the PgUp and PgDown keys to vertically resize blueprint areas
    • [Change] Changed some recipes (some recipes are just placeholders until we have proper items in place)
    • [Change] Changed font of status messages (improved visibility)
    • [Change] Changed preview shape when placing dirt, stone etc.
    • [Change] Adjusted depth-of-field effect
    • [Change] Increased SSAO (ambient occlusion) intensity
    • [Change] Increased spawn chance of willow saplings
    • [Change] "Inventory full" message stays visible for a longer time now
    • [Change] Did some minor tweaks to some gui dialogs (e.g. being able to tab in blueprint creation dialog etc)
    • [Change] Plugin "onEnable()" will only be called once all plugins are loaded now (added onLoad() method)
    • [Change] Plugin database implements AutoCloseable now (i.e. you can use it in try-with-resources statements)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed DPI scaling issues in combination with certain monitor types (Windows 7-10 only)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed DPI related issue which caused the camera to spin randomly
    • [Bugfix] Fixed tnt not causing any visible damage to blocks
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing name for ramp corner block
    • [Bugfix] It's now possible to respawn when dying in creative mode
    • [Bugfix] Fixed broken grass occlusion when enabling this setting during runtime
    • [Bugfix] Fixed grass removal when placing multiple blocks
    • [Bugfix] Fixed post-processing effects not loading properly in rare cases
    • [Bugfix] Fixed jumping behaviour when player is in shallow water
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue which allowed users to create accounts with invalid usernames
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing water splash sound (when player jumps into water) in creative mode
    • [Bugfix] Fixed rare crash when starting the game

• [Change] Greatly reduced spawn rate of abandoned shacks
    • [Change] Weather changes less frequently now
    • [Bugfix] Fixed start issues on MacOS
    • [Bugfix] Fixed vcredist 2015 incompatibility (Win7 Home)
    • [Bugfix] Underwater dungeons spawn correctly now
    • [Bugfix] Abandoned shacks no longer spawn under water
    • [Bugfix] Fixed broken dungeons when reloading the world (only objects were still in place)
    • [Bugfix] Dungeon chests no longer "regenerate" loot when accessing them again
    • [Bugfix] Dungeon chests can be removed properly now
    • [Bugfix] Fixed "randomness" of furniture in abandoned shacks
    • [Bugfix] Rain will no longer go through glass
    • [Bugfix] Fixed world generation issues (missing caves, ores, water, wrong textures etc)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing name of bear skin rug
    • [Bugfix] Fixed manhole covers

• [New] Added setting for color vibrance ("View adjustment")
    • [New] Added setting to the config file to disable grass (only works in singleplayer)
    • [New] Added new animals to world creation dialog
    • [New] Added multiplayer server option to disable weather (settings_weather_enabled)
    • [Change] Increased transparency of rain
    • [Change] Changed loot spawn for dungeons
    • [Change] Adjusted some sound effects
    • [Change] Slightly increased spawn chance of abandoned shacks
    • [Change] Adjusted spawn position of abandoned shacks (previously shacks sometimes spawned half sunken into the ground)
    • [Change] Umlauts are now allowed in blueprint names
    • [Bugfix] Underground dungeons spawn properly now
    • [Bugfix] Rain/snow is now visible through glass panes
    • [Bugfix] Screen should no longer turn red for no apparent reason (need feedback)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed slow loading of custom images (posters)
    • [Bugfix] Lightglare can now be disabled in the settings properly
    • [Bugfix] Smoke is no longer visible through walls when logarithmic depth buffer is disabled
    • [Bugfix] Fixed bug which enabled Lightscattering automatically
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong rotation of horizontal ramp blocks after rotating a blueprint
    • [Bugfix] Fixed rare crash when converting an old world
    • [Bugfix] Fixed spinning meat when trying to place it on a grill

• [New] Weather can now also be disabled in singleplayer via config file (game_weather_enabled)
    • [New] Added command "gamedir" to open the game directory
    • [Change] It's no longer possible to create worlds with invalid file names
    • [Bugfix] Fixed crashes related to shader compilation errors on Linux
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue with disappearing construction elements / objects in certain situations when placing a new element
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue which caused animals to be freezed
    • [Bugfix] Fixed sky shader issue on Geforce 200 series graphics cards
    • [Bugfix] Now rain should REALLY be visible through glass panes
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue with vanishing planks when placed directly in front of a block (need Feedback)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed console command "deleteplayer" (mp)
  • You're doing better than I am. Steam gave me an update, but it won't launch for me. Starts to, then just quits.

Might be a Mac thing. I'm not too concerned, though. Any major release like this is entitled to some birth pains. :D

• 38 players on a RW server? Good luck with that. And yes, there seems to be a lot of extra butt hurt today. *sigh* But hey, bacon sounds good.

With a game this good, good luck isn't needed. 40 players on as I type this. The bacon was very tasty.

And holy Moses! Check out this changelog!!

steamcommunity.com/app/324080/…ons/0/620700960407155814/

That's quite the list. Number three on the list (weather) leaves me breathing a sigh of relief that I decided to put a roof on my beach house. Although if the water pools, I wonder if I could have had an attic pool going. Heheh

• i spawened one, gonna make so u can't spawn records ,the gramaphone sounds sweet, and hoping there is a way to change what is in the random chests, walked around and found TNT in one

Good point. i know you can ban what items are craftable but not sure about random spawns. Hopefully red gives us an update to how to modify the permissions files. I'd also like a better description of the item section as its not described well enough

Permission system

• It occurs to me that since there was probably a lot of download traffic, my game may have arrived damaged.
    Do any of you steam gurus know the best way to force a new download? Delete Local Content sounds so scary. 8|

• Thanks, Joni. When I clicked "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE..." it did, in fact, respond with "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired.".

Not sure when or how it gets reacquired, but so far nothing has changed. Still doesn't launch, still shows as "1 file failed" when I validate. Maybe I offended the Steam gods in some past life. ;(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!