Weather In My Basement

• Loving the heck out of the new release. Loving the weather, even though it shows up in my underground basement.

This basement is maybe a dozen blocks underground, and I was a bit surprised that the rain followed me there.

The first picture shows the rain. Zfoxfire was right next to me and he did NOT see rain.

The second picture shows the basement with just the room lights on.

The third picture shows the basement from the exact same position, but with night fog.

The weather follows me into every room in the house, even though it now has a roof.

Still an amazing release, but thought it was worth sharing the pictures.

• For reference, Harv has a Macintosh but not sure which specific video card. i am running win10 with an nvidia gtx960. for me, no fog or rain, nor change in lighting level occurred while underground with Harv.

Also on a side note, I cannot see the rain effect through a window and I have the graphical settings maxed out.

• I get the same with fog (day and night) in my houses even though they are all tight shut from all sides. No problem with in house rains so far but I cannot see rain through windows as well as zfox reported. Graphics settings are all maxed out for me too.

• Some additional info regarding graphical glitches:

Another player on my server is running Windows7 pro with an AMD R9 m290x with drivers up to date. He reported that his screen turned red when it rained but he disabled refractions in the game settings and the problem went away. He also cannot view rain through a glass window. I do not know if this behavior changed from before the 0.8.0.1 patch

Yet another player started a single player game on 0.7.4 and throughout the updates, he can see rain through a window. However, on a new game Oddly enough, for him in single-player mode, the rain is visible through a window on a converted world (created with 0.7.4) but on a new world in single player (created with 0.8.0 (just before the latest patch) ) the rain is not visible through the glass. He is running the latest RW version and has Windows 8.1 with an nvidia 880m. For additional strangeness, he cannot see the rain through a window on my multiplayer server. I dont know when my world was initially created. but its older than 0.7.4

For me, I've noticed the glass texture doesnt affect whether rain is visible. I've also noticed I can see the rain through the glass while I am positioning the pane but once I actually set the glass pain, the rain effect disappears. I am running win10 pro with a nvidia gtx 960

• Loving the heck out of the new release. Loving the weather, even though it shows up in my underground basement.

Unfortunately, that makes two Mac users with the same problem with rain in 0.8. The one screenshot with the rain makes it look like the furnace got too hot and the water sprinklers kicked in. I play alone, so it's interesting to learn what non-Mac users are seeing on the same server in instances like these.

For reference, Harv has a Macintosh but not sure which specific video card.

Apple Menu > About This Mac. I'm guessing the OS is 10.12 Sierra, which means there's a Displays tab there that will mention which card is in the Mac. Or alternatively, one can also view this information within the Rising World Settings menu under the Graphics section. It's at the bottom just above the Reset Settings and Save Settings buttons. I wouldn't mind knowing what card is in that Mac, and I'm sure it would be beneficial to Red to figure this problem out.

• I guess I should fess up --

I'm running a state-of-the-art (well, it was in 2010):

• iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)
    • 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
    • 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    • ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
    • 2 TB Hard Disk
    • OS X El Capitan (Version 10.11.6)

Never intended to run video games on it, but here I am. :rolleyes:

• Interesting observation just now --

I was in my house, which has an actual roof on it, when the rain came. I could see it indoors, as this thread mentions, but at the same time, my water indicator slowly filled up.

Doesn't seem like a purely video artifact would actually cure my thirst, so now I'm wondering if the two phenomena are related or independent.

Maybe I should follow that rabbit down the hole... :/

• I recant. I made several attempts to reproduce the indoor-rain-filling-me-up scenario, but it just didn't happen.

Let's just say I musta eaten a couple of apples without even thinking about it and got some water that way in the original incident. That would imply that I'm senile, so let's just say it's a theory. :whistling:

• So funny. Yes. Fellow Mac user, and I get the rain inside too. I think I saw it under ground as well, but I can't swear to it. EDIT: Yep. Rains inside the mine! My specs are similar:
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
    3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
    OS X El Capitan (Version 10.11.6)

The game runs pretty smooth. I haven't experienced crashing since the update. Before that it would crash once or twice per session. Usually I took it as a sign I'd been playing long enough!

I can't see the rain through the glass either. Speaking of glass, I notice it now requires me to get sand. Hmm. Do I have to go to the desert or beach for that?

I've not see it snow yet, but I'm wondering if it only snows in a snowy biome? In that case I wonder if it rains less frequently in the desert—would be cool and logical it that were the case. ^^
    EDIT: Yes!! Snowing on the snowy mountain when it's raining in the valley. Snow mixed with rain in the frosty terrain in between. So neat. Fun stuff.

• That's a good tidbit of information, MommaT. We're both Mac users, but you have an NVIDIA card and I'm using an ATI Radeon. Even if the problem is Mac-oriented, it may have nothing to do with the video hardware.

Hopefully that might be a clue for the smart people, like red51.

• This explains the weird bright fog I got inside my cave. I had been digging and digging due to needing a lot of stone, not paying a lot of attention to how deep I was. When I turned round the whole cave was very light with bright fog. The only lighting I had added was a few random basic torches so it should have been dark with little orange light patches. A few more pickaxe swings later the fog was gone and everywhere was very dark apart from orange torchlight patches. When I did finally come out I was surprised how deep I had gone but yeah fog penetrated :)

p.s. on windows 10 laptop, i5, Nvidia GTX 960m.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!