Goodbye Greenlight

• I don't think I'll cry over Greenlight death... It mostly depends on the fee amount. In itself, having to pay a "membership" fee to access a service is not so strange in a capitalistic environment and for developers/publishers which are there for a profit.

Then, it can be managed well or badly; we'll see...

• I understand the reason behind it.. I' mean there are youtubers that do video series where they check out sh**** games on greenlight. The problem is the fee... The fee could be up to $5,000 USD according to that article. That's a lot of money and might deter quite a few legitimately good developers out there.

• Yeah, I can see both sides of the argument for and against it. To be honest, if a dev is adamant about getting their game on Steam, then they'll end up using Kickstarter or another crowd funding project to get funds for their game if they can't get it themselves. What I think the pricing system might do, at least initially, is make a few devs think twice before they apply for this new system. Whether or not this will be a good or a bad thing we'll have to wait and see.

But I do agree that there'll be a few genuine developers that will be frightened away by this system for sure.

• Microwave Simulator ??? And I thought, I'm crazy...But this?!? - So brilliant...for idiots 8|8o

So what's next? An spoon simulator maybe? :D:thumbsup:

But who knows: Maybe there are so many of brilliant people - And with a simulator like the legendary microwave simulator, they know to use a real microwave...maybe 8|8o:D:thumbsup:

Sorry for misstakes - I'm still in Alpha ;)^^

• Why? ... Why? - My brain...oh nooo - I think after the "Brain-Death-Idea" (called goat simulator) some people try everything to change as a simulator - Perhaps I need some drugs to understand this 8|8o

Some panic for the next idea: Door Simulator - Yes guys, you could learn open doors on the right way and yes, finaly you can close them too - What a feature :D:thumbsup:

• Finally Steam gets rid of Greenlight. Nowadays it seems that all kind of games get greenlighted, more and more "joke games", memes and assetflips/shovelware is popping up. Seeing that nearly 40% of all Steam games were released in 2016, I'm a little bit concerned that Steam may end up like the Google Play Store :S
    In my opinion, the current Greenlight system has some serious flaws. For example, it's confusing that downvotes are not taken into account. A game just has to reach a certain number of upvotes, no matter how many people gave a thumbs down. In addition, there are some shady developers who "purchase" votes (by promising to give free keys or even keys for other games to all up-voters), this way they're able to get all kind of stuff greenlighted.

However, I think that "Steam Direct" may only improve the situation if the publishing fee is high enough. A 100$ publishing fee is definitely not going to stop assetflips/shovelware (especially since the current 100$ greenlight fee [even though you only had to pay it once] apparently didn't stop assetflippers neither). Unfortunately a high fee may eventually kill some good games, but as long as there is no sort of "curation" in place, I'm afraid this *may* be the only option to stop shovelware.
    If someone cannot afford the fee, there are always other options available, e.g. getting a loan from a bank (if someone is really serious about game development, he would take the risk). Or alternatively publishing the game through a publisher (there are many good publishers out there who won't take any negative influence on the game development - as an example, we also released Rising World through a publisher).

• Isn't this too hectic and complex? I think I'll start working on a:
    Void Simulator

in which there is absolutely nothing....

A Void Simulator ?!? - It's too empty for me 8|8o

We should think for our future - So next idea:

A Flashlight Simulator in a dark room (with nothing) - You can turn on and off the flashlight - And finaly a legendary DLC, called "change the battery" :D:thumbsup:

• Yes, younger people like jumpscares - The world goes under with jumpscares...I'm to old for this kind of shit 8|8o

So let's forgett all these simulators or the "jumpscare-shooter-action" and also the shit of the last "years".

There was a time, when games had an own personality, an fantastic story an a lot of content.

And now...now we have so many games with a feeling for "nothing" or like @Miwarre told - "void" !!!

Yes, it's simple - But everything on the same way? - Why?

That's the reason for me, why I make crazy examples - And yes, now I'll start a game like...

Top Gear

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!