Changelog 2017-02-13: Grinder, Tanning rack and more

• Is anyone else having issues actually getting the tanning rack, grinder, spinning wheel to do anything?

Or do we need to start new games each update for things to work?

• Is anyone else having issues actually getting the tanning rack, grinder, spinning wheel to do anything?

For the tanning rack, you need to use the new hunting knife on the pelt and the Spinning wheel you need to have wool or cotton in your hand and then use/right click on the 'bobbin/spool' part of the spinning wheel :)

As @LiamOwenWolfe and @zfoxfire mentioned, just use the wool/cotton/hempfibers on the thread reel on the spinning wheel. Also keep in mind that it actually takes 2 items to get the reel ready (once it's ready, a small hand icon will appear and you will be able to pick it up).
    To use the grinder, simply place some stone in it, and push the handle (by walking against it, counter-clockwise).

Of course these new objects also work in existing worlds ;)

• Holy spaghetti =O it finally arrived !

Captain's log:

I had a dream
    Nov 14th 2015 - Chat while sitting down

I held my head up high
    Jan 29th 2016 - Changelog 2016-01-27: Trading, bugfixes, optimizations

I cried a little
    Feb 13th 2017 - [Change] You can also chat now while sitting or sleeping (multiplayer)

Disclaimer: Yes seriously excited about something so minor.
    Just makes role playing a whole lot more immersive. :rolleyes: thanks ReD

up next: some eggs from those lovely chickens ? lol naahhh just kiddin' too soon i know i know ;p

• Hello Red,

Thank you so much for this update. I'm almost addicted to this game - best since Sim City was worth playing! I won't add a list of desirables, I think you have a long list already. One thing tho', I would love the half-cylinder to lie on its flat-side if possible.

Great work!

• @red51 Wow, thanks for the help. I don't know why but I never knew there was a config file for graphics.

Here are my graphics settings I just set up manually:

It seems to work but on occasion I still get lag spikes. Didn't know I could turn off wind animations. Was wondering if graphic_grass=true was set to false would have a slight improvement on frame rate, additionally if I set graphic_water_postprocessing=true to false what would that do exactly? The reason I ask this is because my graphics card AMD 8670D can't process the game while recording with software such as Xsplit or Open Broadcaster Software. I seriously don't want to dump this in your lap as I already know I have to upgrade my ram from 8G to 16G. I'm looking for loopholes :)

Edited once, last by red51: Added spoiler to keep things structured ().

• One thing tho', I would love the half-cylinder to lie on its flat-side if possible.

That will be possible in the future, at the latest once all block shapes can be treated as construction elements (i.e. rotated, scaled etc) :)

Was wondering if graphic_grass=true was set to false would have a slight improvement on frame rate

Setting graphic_grass to false should give you a noticeable improvement on the framerate (this only works in singleplayer). However, this disables the the grass in the game.
    Another thing you could do to improve the framerate (depending on your hardware) is to set "graphic_texture_quality" to 0, eventually you can also set "graphic_loddetails" to 0 (but this disables the trees in the distant lod chunks)

if I set graphic_water_postprocessing=true to false what would that do exactly?

Setting graphic_water_post_processing to false removes the transparency of the water (it also has a minor impact on the appearance of the underwater effect). It might give you a few extra fps ^^

• I'm sorry to be that guy...but I can't launch the game at all after it updated...

The update itself went fine, took a long while on "unpacking" but I don't think that's much (I just never noticed Steam saying that before)

Problem arose after the update was done, I tried to launch the game and it said Missing executable, so I forced a cache recheck, and now it's stuck with Update Paused. If I launch the game to complete it, I am presented with this error message:

An Error Occurred while Updating Rising World (content file locked):
    C:/Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\RisingWorld\risingworldx64.exe

Not sure what to do, restarting Steam didn't solve the problem.

Thank you for any help ^_^'

• That will be possible in the future, at the latest once all block shapes can be treated as construction elements (i.e. rotated, scaled etc) :)

Setting graphic_grass to false should give you a noticeable improvement on the framerate (this only works in singleplayer). However, this disables the the grass in the game.Another thing you could do to improve the framerate (depending on your hardware) is to set "graphic_texture_quality" to 0, eventually you can also set "graphic_loddetails" to 0 (but this disables the trees in the distant lod chunks)

Setting graphic_water_post_processing to false removes the transparency of the water (it also has a minor impact on the appearance of the underwater effect). It might give you a few extra fps ^^

Thanks @red51 turning the grass off gave me my first 97 FPS in Rising World ever not only that but it appears as if one of your most recent updates fixed my original LP world! Not sure about playing with the grass off though. I can at least record again, thanks a bunch buddy :) keep up the amazing work! can't wait for those road prefabs ;)8)

• An Error Occurred while Updating Rising World (content file locked):

The "Content file locked" message is a Steam error which may have various reasons. In most cases it indicates that Steam wasn't able to access a certain game file. This can be caused by drive errors or insufficient permissions, or - more likely - by an antivirus program. What antivirus program do you use exactly? Some programs like Panda are known to keep a focus on certain files (probably for scanning), so Steam is unable to delete/update the file. Other programs like Comodo run unknown programs in a sandbox, which results in restricted hard drive access.
    Sometimes restarting the computer may also do the trick ;)

Thanks @red51 turning the grass off gave me my first 97 FPS in Rising World ever not only that but it appears as if one of your most recent updates fixed my original LP world

I'm happy to hear that :)

• The "Content file locked" message is a Steam error which may have various reasons. In most cases it indicates that Steam wasn't able to access a certain game file. This can be caused by drive errors or insufficient permissions, or - more likely - by an antivirus program. What antivirus program do you use exactly? Some programs like Panda are known to keep a focus on certain files (probably for scanning), so Steam is unable to delete/update the file. Other programs like Comodo run unknown programs in a sandbox, which results in restricted hard drive access.Sometimes restarting the computer may also do the trick ;)

I'm happy to hear that :)

Edit: It was Avast after all. Disabled protection momentarily and now the game finished updating and launched without issues

I use Avast Antivirus Free, though at the moment I'm running a pro free trial for a few days...also Malware Bytes is on free trial and has a real-time filter that might be the case...either way, I'll restart my PC tomorrow and see then, if it still happens I'll try disabling those programs. Thank you for your work :)

• Thank you all!

Also, you devs are awesome at being responsive, if you can keep that up this game is going to out do minecraft.

On that note, I searched, but I didn't see that you guys had put out any sort of timeline for PvE mobs? Monsters?

I actually got the game because a website said it had zombies and stuff like minecraft does and was kind of sad to find all it has is a few aggro mobs that are super easy to kill and super rare.

• Very good update. I'm so glad for the logs. I've been wishing for those.

I love the new crafting stations, all the crafting stations here. They are fun, and make the world immersive.

The Grinder worked fine. I love the operating method. This is really unique.

The Spinning wheel gave me two unusual events. I ran 36 of both cotton and wool thru it. When I had used all 36, I actually only collected 17 reels, not 18. Not sure where the other one went.
    Then, after I had spun about half of the cotton, I couldn't click the spinner. Moving the cotton off hot button 3 to hot button 4 solved the problem.
    It happened again when I was spinning the wool. Moving the the wool off the hot button it was on, to a different hot button, solved the problem.

The Leather Rack took me awhile, until I realized I didn't have the hunting knife equipped.
    My only problem with any of the new crafting stations is: How do I get the leather off the Rack?

I've only succeeded in picking up the entire rack, without the leather.
    Can someone tell me what I'm not doing? I got a feeling it's really just a face-palm moment on my part.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!