Changelog 2017-02-13: Grinder, Tanning rack and more

• Hey folks! A new update is available now, it introduces some new items and especially new crafting stations: a grinding station, a tanning rack and a spinning wheel. These are fully interactive crafting stations, i.e. there is no GUI, so you interact with them directly (like the smelting furnace).

The grinding station is used to crush stone to gravel (in the future it will be used to crush many other items as well), the tanning rack is used to turn rawhides (which can be obtained from animals) into leather (a hunting knife is required), and the spinning wheel is used to spin a yarn (from wool, cotton or hemp fibers).

In addition, we also did some smaller changes to the game (e.g. when destroying a chest full of items, these items will spawn in the world instead of disappearing), polished some existing features and fixed some bugs. As usual, find the full changelog attached ;)

Stay tuned!

• [New] New crafting stations: grinder, tanning rack, spinning wheel
    • [New] New construction element: wood log (cylinder)
    • [New] New items: waterskin, tiger and jaguar pelt, leather, thread reel, hunting knife*
    • [New] New two new music tracks (day+night)
    • [New] When destroying a chest with items in it, all items will drop on the ground (experimental feature)
    • [New] Added background scenes to main menu
    • [New] Added intensity slider for "Ambient Occlusion" to the graphics settings
    • [Change] Chunks will be "smoothly" detached now, this should prevent short white areas between chunks while travelling
    • [Change] The weather stays good for longer now
    • [Change] Improved drag/drop responsiveness (especially when the framerate is low)
    • [Change] Improved water rendering around shore in LOD chunks
    • [Change] You can change the text on signs now by pressing the interaction key (F) twice
    • [Change] You can also chat now while sitting or sleeping (multiplayer)
    • [Change] You can reset the size of a construction element by holding the "resize" key (shift) while pressing the reset key
    • [Change] Improved appearance of ores (no more "white" spots or messed up textures)
    • [Change] Reduced cracks / seams between construction elements (planks, beams etc)
    • [Change] When picking up an item while the inventory is full, the item will drop to the ground now
    • [Change] Slightly changed the wordings in the "first steps" section of the journal
    • [Change] Increased max flyspeed to 400% (need a powerful computer so world generation can keep up)
    • [Change] Raking sand, snow, mud, gravel etc. no longer turns it into dirt (same applies to the sledgehammer)
    • [Change] Picking up an item wakes up all nearby physical items, to avoid floating items (only applies to physical items)
    • [Change] Changed recipe of small trashcan
    • [Change] You can fuel the smelting furnace faster now
    • [Change] Slightly improved overall performance
    • [Bugfix] Fixed an issue which disabled some graphics features when starting the game for the first time
    • [Bugfix] Fixed placement issue with radiators (can only be placed on north/west facing walls)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed bug which prevented animals from spawning when spawn rate was set too high (multiplayer)
    • [Bugfix] Weather will be synchronized correctly now when joining a multiplayer server
    • [Bugfix] Color vibrance value will be saved correctly now
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing needle on ore detector on some machines (need feedback)
    • [Bugfix] Different farmland block shapes (cylinders etc) are recognized as farmland now
    • [Bugfix] Fixed rare bug which prevented chunks from loading properly

• [Change] Chat closes now when pressing return while the input field is empty
    • [Bugfix] Fixed erroneous grinder rotation
    • [Bugfix] Fixed misplaced needle on ore detector
    • [Bugfix] Fixed item icons being stuck on cursor when moving them to/from chests
    • [Bugfix] Fixed crash when mining resources (ores etc)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed invisible terrain/blocks in certain situations

• [New] Added several variations for the spinning wheel, grinder and tanning rack
    • [New] Added small progress indicator to the spinning wheel
    • [Change] Adjusted texture scale on construction elements (planks, beams etc)
    • [Bugfix] Rake works properly now (no longer turning sand into dirt, for example)
    • [Bugfix] Hides on tanning racks are no longer visible through walls when logarithmic depth buffer is disabled
    • [Bugfix] Fixed a crash caused by tnt
    • [Bugfix] Fixed weather issues in multiplayer
    • [Bugfix] Crafting stations category no longer appears twice in the crafting menu

• [New] You can shift+click an item now to move it to a chest and vice versa (same as double click)
    • [Change] The rake turns grass into dirt again
    • [Change] Changed texture alignment on construction elements, still WIP
    • [Bugfix] Fixed records not being visible on gramophone
    • [Bugfix] Fixed "red water" in menu background scenes
    • [Bugfix] Seedlings can be planted on farmland blocks again
    • [Bugfix] The spinning wheel should only give a single thread reel at once now
  • nice changelog thanks @red51 for all the new items etc. :) Hope to see some wheat for the grinder in the near future

• Getting a fatal error on new update 0.8.1:

Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[jME3 Main,5,main]
    java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find resource for bundle java.util.PropertyResourceBundle, key gui.registerlayer.registerinfo
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getObject(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getString(Unknown Source)
    at I.s.b(SourceFile:191)
    at I.s.<init>(SourceFile:89)
    at content.Game.initApplication(SourceFile:1014)
    at commons.JIWApplication.initialize(SourceFile:231)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.initInThread(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:130)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:211)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

• First off, congratulations on the new update and great job to the entire team. There's a lot of promise for future add-ons with regards to some of these new items. Especially the grinder. That said, I haven't had a lot of time to test the update (suppertime), but I have noticed that on the Workbench's menu, Crafting Stations is mentioned twice.

• Wow! That's quite a list!!! Something for everyone.

[Change] You can reset the size of a construction element by holding the "resize" key (shift) while pressing the reset key

This sounds like what I've been pining for, I can't wait to find out. But what de you mean by "reset" key? "Delete"? Shift Delete? Well, I guess I will have to go try it out!

• O.M.G!!! The resizable log items are a game changer for building (almost)! Sweet. A little rough when enlarged, but still. THANK YOU! Now how about a resizable arc? I thought you meant the block were resizable, but it's just the other elements. Anyway Thanks!

Looks like the new crafting stations will be fun in survival mode too. I'll be putting a spinning wheel in my creative build also, ;)

:thumbsup:

• O.M.G!!! The resizable log items are a game changer for building (almost)! Sweet. A little rough when enlarged, but still. THANK YOU! Now how about a resizable arc? I thought you meant the block were resizable, but it's just the other elements. Anyway Thanks!

Looks like the new crafting stations will be fun in survival mode too. I'll be putting a spinning wheel in my creative build also, ;)

:thumbsup:

Yeah, I was wondering what that was but I finally found the new construction object. I can finally build a log cabin!! :):):)

• Hey folks! A new update is available now, it introduces some new items and especially new crafting stations: a grinding station, a tanning rack and a spinning wheel. These are fully interactive crafting stations, i.e. there is no GUI, so you interact with them directly (like the smelting furnace).

• [New] New construction element: wood log (cylinder)
    • [Change] Raking sand, snow, mud, gravel etc. no longer turns it into dirt (same applies to the sledgehammer)

THANKS a bunch to @red51 and dev's you guys make our (players) days ^^<3

• Not sure what ambient occlusion is. It's been awhile since I've uploaded any Rising World because the lag got so bad I threw in the towel. Don't let this upset you @red51 because you're doing an awesome job possibly Xsplit just doesn't like your game with accelerated particles (rain.) Keep up the amazing work :)

• I encountered an odd bug, but when I quit the game, I noticed a 7:50 p.m. (Eastern Time) update was downloading, and when I got back into the game, I couldn't replicate it. I'll mention it here anyways in case.

It happened when I accidentally Shift + double-click on any item in a chest or crate to move it to my inventory. For some odd reason, a version of that item, slightly smaller than is visible in the inventory, replaced the white pointer. To make matters worse, if I replicated the procedure, I'd have the items superimposed on each other. At one point, I had the stone block 21 and tomato both superimposed as the new pointer (see image right). The amounts were also visible but garbled amongst each other. Returning to the main menu not only did not fix the problem, but the pointer remained on the swanky new backdrop.

The Up/Down arrows are working in reverse when navigating all the bench menus. Up goes down and down goes up.

I don't know if this is an accident: While I love the new woodlog, I noticed its width is twice that of a woodbeam, yet the maximum/minimum length of both are the same. I also noticed the log was actually a hexadecagon (16 sides), and not a true circle. Nothing major, but it would definitely have been nice to have a true circle made from it.

That's it for now. Loving the game.

• Thanks for the feedback :)

Hope to see some wheat for the grinder in the near future

You can bet on it! ;)

Or a larger one for the slaves like in Conan

Hehe, would be nice to see a bunch of people in multiplayer pushing a huge grinder :D

But what de you mean by "reset" key?

That's the key which resets the rotation of an element (by default it's backspace, but can be changed in the settings). If you hold the shift-key (or more precisely, the resize key) while pressing the reset key (backspace), you can reset the size :)

Now how about a resizable arc? I thought you meant the block were resizable, but it's just the other elements. Anyway Thanks!

Oh that's definitely planned, in the future, all block shapes will be resizeable.

Not sure what ambient occlusion is. It's been awhile since I've uploaded any Rising World because the lag got so bad I threw in the towel

Ambient occlusion is responsible for these small shadows in corners or edges. Although it has a noticeable effect on the framerate, so if you have performance issues, you can disable it. To improve the performance you can also set "graphic_logarithmic_depth_buffer" to false in your config.properties file. If the framerate only drops when it rains, you could consider to disable weather effects (by setting "game_weather_enabled" in the config.properties to false).

I encountered an odd bug, but when I quit the game, I noticed a 7:50 p.m. (Eastern Time) update was downloading, and when I got back into the game, I couldn't replicate it

This bug should be fixed now :)

The Up/Down arrows are working in reverse when navigating all the bench menus. Up goes down and down goes up.

Hmm... I will check out what's going on there!

I also noticed the log was actually a hexadecagon (16 sides), and not a true circle

Well, actually there are never "true circles" (because video hardware renders triangles only), so the only thing one could do to smooth the cylinder is to increase the amount of faces/sides. But increasing the faces has an impact on the performance, so it's important to keep the max. amount of triangles as low as possible (especially when it comes to construction elements). 16 sides seem to be sufficient in most cases, although I have to admit that some additional sides/faces might be preferable when enlarging the element^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!