gps plugin request for improvement

• Hi miWarre,

Would it be possible for the admin of a server to add to the export more than 1 wp at a time ? as is the players can only share 1 wp, but (I'm the admin) I have a few that I need to have/share with the players, (example wp to different biomes) and I'm not able to do it, as it only accepts 1 wp.

thanks
    mjminfo

• Well, the GPS currently accepts any number of shared WP's. Surely, you can share one at a time, but the next you share is appended to the pool of shared WP's and does not overwrite the previous!

The proposed change may look nice, but it is probably more effort that it would be worth: a GUI would be needed showing a list of WP's and allowing to select the ones you want to share, then it would present each one in turn to set the sharing name.

Would this be significantly simpler / faster than the current one-at-a-time solution?

• @mjminfo why not use the /tp plugin instead for that (Teleport)? or the portals script ([Script]Portals)?

I think the /gps plugin is more for personal waypoints rather than community ones (correct me if I am wrong @Miwarre)

• Well, the GPS currently accepts any number of shared WP's. Surely, you can share one at a time, but the next you share is appended to the pool of shared WP's and does not overwrite the previous!

The proposed change may look nice, but it is probably more effort that it would be worth: a GUI would be needed showing a list of WP's and allowing to select the ones you want to share, then it would present each one in turn to set the sharing name.

Would this be significantly simpler / faster than the current one-at-a-time solution?

Yes i think that it would be simpler to have a list of available wp's.

Also the admin/owner can delete any unused one, ex:if a player is no longer on the server so the admin can remove wp's

thanks

• @mjminfo why not use the /tp plugin instead for that (Teleport)? or the portals script ([Script]Portals)?

I think the /gps plugin is more for personal waypoints rather than community ones (correct me if I am wrong @Miwarre)

I took a look at the portals script but It would be another plugin to install on the server, and since I'm already using the gps one why not complete it's offerings all in one place/plugin :P

• if you don't want scripts you can use the /tp plugin which is really nice with a GUI now where players can just click the point they want to teleport to :D (yes you would have to have a second plugin on your server)

• Yes i think that it would be simpler to have a list of available wp's.
    Also the admin/owner can delete any unused one, ex:if a player is no longer on the server so the admin can remove wp's

Sorry, I do not understand; "a list of available WP's": which ones, your personal WP's to choose which ones you want to share or a list of the WP's globally shared by everyone?

• Sorry, I do not understand; "a list of available WP's": which ones, your personal WP's to choose which ones you want to share or a list of the WP's globally shared by everyone?

the WP's globally shared by everyone.

so you would have something like this;

-= WP shared list =-
    # WP name Coords Owner/Submiter
    1 Desert Biome 485N 65 385E Admin
    2 Winter Biome 7000W 87 5896N Player1
    etc ...

then we can choose to export 1 of ours to the Globally shared list or to import from the Gobal list into our wp's

• the WP's globally shared by everyone.

So, a list of the WP's already exported by someone.

Sorry, there might be something important behind this, but I still fail to understand the exact request:

1) This is different from your original request:

add to the export more than 1 wp at a time ?

which I get as meaning the ability to export more than one WP at a time to the global pool.

2) A list of all shared WP's is already implemented: when you press the button to import a WP, you get precisely a list of all the shared WP's.

then we can choose to export 1 of ours to the Globally shared list or to import from the Gobal list into our wp's

which are two different operations on two different sets of WP's (the first on your private set to the global set, the second on the global set to your set).

Do you want a list which mixes your WP set and the global set?

Do you want a list of all WP's privately defined by anyone? I am not sure other players would agree on this...

• 2) A list of all shared WP's is already implemented: when you press the button to import a WP, you get precisely a list of all the shared WP's.

when I try, I only get 1 choice (the last WP I exported) and there is no list of all the export I made before

So, a list of the WP's already exported by someone.
    Sorry, there might be something important behind this, but I still fail to understand the exact request:

1) This is different from your original request:

which I get as meaning the ability to export more than one WP at a time to the global pool

Do you want a list which mixes your WP set and the global set?

Yes. I would get an export window that lists all of my WP's and from there I have the possibility of choosing to export more than 1 , and to rename then if I want or keep the same name and export them to the global shared list

Do you want a list of all WP's privately defined by anyone? I am not sure other players would agree on this...

No just my private WP's so I can see them at one time and choose which ones to export.

as it is I have to go from one to another in order to choose which ones to export, so if I want to export let's say the 1st one and the 15th one I have to go through all of them.

If I had the window I could highlight the number 1 and 15 and click on export

hope it's more clear :/?(

• when I try, I only get 1 choice (the last WP I exported) and there is no list of all the export I made before

This is not expected; the list should contain all the exported WP's by whomever. I'll check what's going on.

Yes. I would get an export window that lists all of my WP's and from there I have the possibility of choosing to export more than 1 , and to rename then if I want or keep the same name and export them to the global shared list

This is precisely what I tried to avoid, to limit the flooding of shared WP's by users (and to simplify somewhat the implementation).

No just my private WP's so I can see them at one time and choose which ones to export.
    as it is I have to go from one to another in order to choose which ones to export, so if I want to export let's say the 1st one and the 15th one I have to go through all of them.

If I had the window I could highlight the number 1 and 15 and click on export

So, you want a list, and with multiple selection... not a trivial task, given that everything should be done from scratch with minimal support from the API... Also note that the current interface is 'circular' and the 15th WP is only two clicks at the left of the 1st (1 click to the home point and another click to skip it and reach the 'last' WP).

And anyway, this would still require a separate step for each of the selected WP's, to edit / confirm its shared name.

I still believe that it would be a fair amount of work for little gain, eventually.

• then do as you see fit for the list, if the API is not there yet no need to force it, maybe next update it will be there.

if you can please check what's going on why I can not see all the wp I created/exported.

is there a log for it, as in the server log it doesn't say anything about it.

thanks

• BTW if I replace the whole dir with the new one, will my wp's still be saved or they get erased ? if they get erased, what files do I need to keep in order for them to be saved ?

Sorry, busy week-end! I assume you found the answer in the meantime. But, in short, the WP are kept in the gps-<world-name>.db file; if you keep this file, your WP's will be safe.

• I haven't found a way to delete WP. I've updated RW to the latest version and simply copy the plugins folder to a new map, now I want to delete the previous wp from the old map that stayed in the db, how can I do that ?

btw I'm still using 1.30 as I need the shared list on my server

• The fifth button from the left (the one with a red cross on it) deletes the WP currently detailed right above (or the home point, if Home is selected).

Version 1.3.1 still has the WP sharing feature and some bugs fixed; I suggest to upgrade to it.

If you need the WP sharing feature, would you mind describing the rationale in this thread about GPS changes? Thanks!

• yes my local wp I can delete, my problem is to delete Global WP on the shared list, that stayed there from the old map.

IMO, The Global WP capability should either 1) Be manageable somehow by only Admins 2) Be removed and replaced with capability of pass a personal WP to another Player 3) Be removed all together.

The Teleport plugin, IMO, is better suited for "World/Global Teleport Points".

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!