blueprint file construction element data is sometimes duplicated

• Hey @red51 I though you might find this interesting, when looking inside blueprint files I noticed that in some of them the number of elements (only noticed this with construction elements i.e. beams, planks, glasspanes, etc.) is double the amount that should be in there and all the data (posx/y/z, rotx/y/z, sizex/y/z, etc.) are written twice exactly the same. When I blueprinted the same object a second time the number of elements is correct.

• I bet this is for some future enhancement such as bending construction objects. Two points is probably the minimum you need but I always thought three points was needed. Maybe two to stretch and three to bend. But I am no expert. You may have discovered a feature, not a "feature". :thumbsup:

• I wish there was in fact a real intention behind this :D Unfortunately it's nothing but a bug, but thanks for letting me know! It's funny that I had the same suspicion this morning after dealing with some of my blueprints, but wasn't sure about that (and wasn't able to reproduce this issue, so I thought it was just my imagination) ^^ However, it looks like this issue occurs only when the blueprint contains multiple chunks (vertically). Nevertheless, it will be fixed with the next update :)
    Btw, this issue did not affect blueprint placement (since the game discards all duplicate objects/constructions anyway)

• thanks @red51 and indeed I can confirm that placement was not affected by the multiple entries too since I was puzzled when I was placing the blueprint that according to the file had 6 planks in it and I could only pickaxe 3 planks out of it XD

• I wish there was in fact a real intention behind this :D Unfortunately it's nothing but a bug, but thanks for letting me know! It's funny that I had the same suspicion this morning after dealing with some of my blueprints, but wasn't sure about that (and wasn't able to reproduce this issue, so I thought it was just my imagination) ^^ However, it looks like this issue occurs only when the blueprint contains multiple chunks (vertically). Nevertheless, it will be fixed with the next update :)
    Btw, this issue did not affect blueprint placement (since the game discards all duplicate objects/constructions anyway)

Ok, so it's a "feature" then. But perhaps it would be a good feature to consider what I suggested above. If we can someday craft special tools to bend objects then it would take some extra data points to describe that bend.

Maybe when plumbing is implemented or bending wood beams to create arches this could be useful. Here is a typical hand-operated pipe bender which is useful for routing pipes while a house is being built. Ofcourse larger industrial versions of these exist

https://www.amazon.com/Manual-…Pipe-Bender/dp/B001Z0U5HM

And for bending wood, basically the same concept but different method. A simple way is to have a shape cut out from a wood beam that represents the arc you want to achieve. This is used as a press and steam is applied to slowly achieve the shape you want:

Many other methods exist. Here's another idea of using weights instead of a press. This could be used for making custom boat hulls

Again, if additional data points are used to represent these bends then we'll see some rather amazing new builds. Also, as you've shown plenty of concern about, supporting bends would greatly reduce the number of objects we have to create in order to "simulate" the look of an arch. Perhaps we can also use the extra data point(s) to describe twisted beams such as this:

Perhaps a new wood crafting station for achieveing arches and twists would work. The current sawbench appears to be just for cutting wood.

• Many other methods exist. Here's another idea of using weights instead of a press. This could be used for making custom boat hulls

If this was implemented, that would make this feature unique. Altough I'm not sure if other games have a feature to bend objects. Second Life is probably the only other game I know of that has something similar to this.

76561198004224157.pngXalzia1.png Click f7a2f1102a1ddf010fe4b97b0266ff15fe810329_full.jpg me for my steam profile

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!