Changelog 2017-04-20: Ingame map, dungeon, new content

• What a map ! I love the render and It give you reason to discover all around :) Need some sort of boat to update big waters area, but I'm feel like exploring a new world. The way to make it is very nice et the new press is very cool. now with all that stuff for textile, leather, we'll be ready for the player update !

Tigers seems to be much aggressive now and they detect you from far. I found a pyramide too, the entrance is clever. I was walking in the maze, discovered the new cool chest and be scared about potential traps…
    I see some new plants but could not take them.

Thank you for this update :)

• @agiser yes red will implement an update feature for the map in a later update, what you can do for now is go to your game directory and delete the map folder for the world you want to regenerate the map for. Note do not delete the overall map folder since then your maps for all worlds will be deleted.

• @TheRadioman03 no a new world start is not necessary for this update but would think that the new plants will only appear in not yet generated regions of the world, this was a small update considering what there is to come in the next (the big update) ;)

• - I can't really tell, yet somewhat testing out if biome arrangement has been appropriately tweaked.

Personally I've started a few new worlds and flew around at max speed for a while and was unable to find a desert. The beaches seems to be shaped a little better. Instead of being a large circle of water in a square of sand, they seem to have more variation in how the beach is shaped. i even found one where part of the beach obtruded out into the ocean a bit. i'd love to see sea rocks do that instead but its a step in the right direction.

I found one pyramid in a pre-discovered desert on my server . There was just a stone chest below a passage underneath. I haven't found a maze yet. Personally i was hoping the pyramids would vary in size. But its good that we finally have a "surface" category of dungeon. I'm assuming the pyramid is of that category. I'd still love to eventually find a surface entrance to an underground dungeon spawn.

I know that the plan is to make all the really nasty and dangerous stuff underground and just hostile animals and human NPCs and the environment to deal with above ground. So if we choose to go underground there's greater risk with greater reward. But it would be nice if on rare occasion a surface entrance was visible to an underground dungeon to sort of lure those of us not up to the task of spelunking. I remember hearing that dungeons are planned to eventuall go super deep. Perhaps a "surface to hell" super dungeon could be a new dungeon type which would also be an option in the world creation options. This dungeon would be massive and have the strongest of enemies and descend to hell from the surface.

Speaking of, I really hope we get ropes and anchors soon so we can go spelunking. Maybe after the player models this will come since we can have some sort of rope climbing animation. :thumbsup:

• Very sweet update. Does this require a new world start? I'm considering it just because it's such a big update. Perhaps a log cabin near a lake with a barn, farm and more.

I don't recall you wandering too far from your home. I think you should be fine and the map will now make it easy to see where you've been although the map will only begin recording after you craft and equip it.

• @TheRadioman03 no a new world start is not necessary for this update but would think that the new plants will only appear in not yet generated regions of the world, this was a small update considering what there is to come in the next (the big update) ;)

Actually I had both of the new plants load in when I opened up my server. I had last logged out at the spawn area so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

• Thanks. I think I've gone about a thousand blocks in each direction so far. I'll check the world when I get on to record this afternoon after work and take a look around. Really not a big deal if I had to start over. Each time I experience different things. The game allows for so many types of builds.

• Now that I've got the map features working (thanks to zfoxfire and others) I'm really enjoying it. It's surprisingly useful that it shows not only your current location, but which way you are facing. That comes in real handy.

At first I thought the right-click for placing markers wasn't working for me, but now it is, so I'm not sure what the problem was. I still need to see if I have any problems when I'm on my "work" computer, but I'm willing to write it off as senility on my part.

Mapping my underground structures takes a little doing, since the map doesn't show underground terrain, but I'm sure Red51 has a plan for the future. For now, I just make a mental note where I am underground by observing where my arrow is on the map, then run back to the surface and stomp all over that area above ground to fill in that part of the map. Once it appears on the map I can then add appropriate markers.

The map, in addition to the myriad of other features and bug fixes, makes this a very noteworthy update.

• Personally I've started a few new worlds and flew around at max speed for a while and was unable to find a desert. The beaches seems to be shaped a little better. Instead of being a large circle of water in a square of sand, they seem to have more variation in how the beach is shaped. i even found one where part of the beach obtruded out into the ocean a bit. i'd love to see sea rocks do that instead but its a step in the right direction.
    I found one pyramid in a pre-discovered desert on my server . There was just a stone chest below a passage underneath. I haven't found a maze yet. Personally i was hoping the pyramids would vary in size. But its good that we finally have a "surface" category of dungeon. I'm assuming the pyramid is of that category. I'd still love to eventually find a surface entrance to an underground dungeon spawn.

I know that the plan is to make all the really nasty and dangerous stuff underground and just hostile animals and human NPCs and the environment to deal with above ground. So if we choose to go underground there's greater risk with greater reward. But it would be nice if on rare occasion a surface entrance was visible to an underground dungeon to sort of lure those of us not up to the task of spelunking. I remember hearing that dungeons are planned to eventuall go super deep. Perhaps a "surface to hell" super dungeon could be a new dungeon type which would also be an option in the world creation options. This dungeon would be massive and have the strongest of enemies and descend to hell from the surface.

Speaking of, I really hope we get ropes and anchors soon so we can go spelunking. Maybe after the player models this will come since we can have some sort of rope climbing animation. :thumbsup:

I'll have to take a look into the world generation by generating a new world map. I really want a desert closer than 8000 m, and to see the new ocean layout. From what you're saying Red51 covertly tweaked the coding of my complaint to make oceans more like the lakes. I'm however saddened I lost the landmark structure of a dungeon peaking out from the ground, yet glad it was fixed. Sad it's gone because I wanted to explore it, yet happy it's now patched.

I need to go back and look for chili. That's the only thing I'm missing. Seen loads of nettle, hogweeds, and cotton. Even found hemp, something we needed while also being appropriate for 4/20 day that I'm now growing that. Growing hemp, corn, and sugar beets. Just need chili.

I need to find a desert to see the pyramid. I was too busy being in survival mode being re-motivated to try and build again. Wanting to build a fort and such again. We really needed this update to add onto things.

Again, I'm surprised that Red51 added in maps because it was made out to be more complex than it sounded. He deserves high praise here for such that it makes navigating easier. People shall be less lost now heh. That, and CORN! I have my corn! Things can now be quite corny on my server! Funny how I also get corn on the day I see corn being sold on 4/20. It's in season that I shall be farming a whole lot of corn.

We still need surface entances that I guess pyramids are a prototype for that with what Red51 mentioned of them being connected with mazes. If he can do more of that then we'll have nice explorable places. Makes me wonder how it shall all pan out when we get the actual world with a 1-world ocean.

Rope & anchors need to happen, even if the anchor is just a decoration. I'll be making an anime themed memorial for mine. If I can place anchors on display that would be welcomed. Ships could come after. Having variations to these anchors would be sweet as well in both commercial and military. Having them treated the way they are in Wurm Unlimited would be sweet to keep your boat stationary (locked into place) so the winds of the world wouldn't blow them away. The current, or whatever Red51 is planning.

I'm continuously being surprised by Red51's update. Such a nice feeling. :love:

• Very nice update Red . I finally got to look at it . I have not played rising world recently because other games and projects are keeping me busy.

I do have 1 comment . I would like to see the map update in real time as you fly around. A way to keep it on the screen. Same with the compass.

Hope to see more soon .

• Thanks for the feedback :) A small hotfix is available btw which fixes a few issues of the latest update. It's only a clientside update, so no need to update the servers.

• [Bugfix] Fixed flickering of terrain edit brush (in creative mode)
    • [Bugfix] Chat now works again when area selection mode is active
    • [Bugfix] Disabling cave/vegetations when creating a new world should work properly now
    • [Bugfix] Fixed some minor sound issues

Hotfix 2017-04-22:

• [Bugfix] Command "undoblueprint" should work properly now
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue with being unable to pour water on paper press in some rare cases
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing label for chili sapling

But didn't the spinning wheel used to have some form of motion and sound to it? Now all I get is a progression to 100% and the ability to take the spool off.

Hmm... sounds like a bug! Some users reported a similar issues prior this update, but I wasn't able to reproduce it yet. I will check out again what's going on there.

I also noticed (although it might be a few versions old) that when you create cloth on the loom, you get the sound of hammering.

Yeah we will definitely improve some of the sound effects ;) Maybe we will also change the way how cloths will be created^^

How do you remove water dropped on the floor?

Unfortunately the only way to remove water atm is to place some dirt/stone there. This will change in the future and you will be able to collect water with the bucket again.

Also, when used with the printing press, the bucket never seems to empty itself.

Actually this is intended. You only pour some water on the press, not enough to empty the bucket. Maybe this will change in the near future ;)

Good start, yet more polish. Surprised with the type of map it is. Desiring that we could zoom it all out, plus have a map that's revealing in a more 'widescreen' manner, not just a standard 'square' shape.

Fully agree :) There are definitely much more plans about maps

I can't really tell, yet somewhat testing out if biome arrangement has been appropriately tweaked

I'm curious to get some feedback about this :) Possibly they need some more tweaking

- Canteens won't fill up fully. They're stuck at 10% fullness

Hmm... wasn't able to reproduce it in singleplayer =O I will take a closer look at this

You fixed the dungeons somehow that it removed the exposed dungeon top from my world

This wasn't intentional, not sure what happened in your case 8|

I do have 1 comment . I would like to see the map update in real time as you fly around. A way to keep it on the screen. Same with the compass.

Yeah we were thinking about something like a minimap. I'm sure there will be something like this available in the future :)

• I've notied that sometimes the pickaxe sound on stone or dirt sometimes doesn't play but the sound of the chunk breaking apart does play.

I'm raising the item sound and master sound volume meter and noticed that the faintness of the picking is still there. It should be getting louder. It seems to be fine when above ground, underground is where its very faint or non-existant.

Also, regarding the biome arrangement, I've noticed deserts are very rare now but the one I did find was very large compared to the tiny ones I would find in the past where you could stand in the middle and see grass in any direction. Not sure if this is chance or intent but it is an improvement in my opinion.

• Wow.... The changes to the world generation using the 'ArcticuValley' seed sure changed a hell of a lot. There's some things that stayed normal, yet it's as if I progressed a few 1000 years into the future (or the past) where there's now ponds in my mountain, as well as oceans turning to grassy land, and a snowy biome popping up where a coastal (semi-tropical, yet not) used to be. Trying to find a desert heading north is an issue. Going at 400% speed has the world generation being slow. Map can't keep up also.

What used to be a very grassy & hilly place turned into a simple grasslands. No more of the swampy 'rocky shield' of ONtario or Ireland type scenery. I wish we had Admist. program that would read from a seed instead, predicting how it would appear with 1% misreads, but that's just me being spoiled by Minecraft modding.

-------------

Edit:

Well, a lot has changed and I seem to like it. I however now need to do testing with it on my own world as a great deal has changed. Biomes were swapped out that I need to go back to draw out my map so I can see what's changed, and if it's 'better', or properly arranged. I need to find a desert and such on my server.

Also, loving the pyramid. It makes me proud of the pyramid I built before, something I should build again. If I could suggest something is to make the pyramid sit properly with the terrain that it should probably go lower with those edges. You can see the flat edge block that it just goes 'meh'. Needs more polish. Love how you have to smack your way in, plus how the stone chests look.Glad you can pick those up. You can easily get lost that I recommend using wooden pointy signs to get back. I found many pyramids together that they need to probably be bunched up, or something.

I now need to colonize/claim one for myself, as well as seeing others doing the same. Was a bit disappointed that it's only gold & silver. Could use more bones & bandages.

-------------

@zfoxfire is that I remember having a very massive & mountainous desert biome that I want to see that one again. It had a nice dwarfed 'red rock' mountain feel to it that I would love to see that again. I'll be exploring now on my main server world. Auto-run is needed for the long distance travel.

• Another bug... the spinning wheel does not animate when making thread. I do get a progress meter that goes to 100 and a thread reel.

After I commented about this problem with Red on Thursday evening, I found it to be working well last night. It seems to be a hit-or-miss type of effect. Did you try quitting and getting back into your game world?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!