New Custom built Gamming PC

• Hi all, i am in the process of having a Custom built gaming pc made,Therefore i would like any suggestions that you may have,or consider i need to know b4 i proceed.. My budget is £1500 (without Monitor)... Ty for your time and help x....i do have the specs of the one i am considering.........Hi Carole,

Thanks for your call.

Please find a quote attached for the Gladiator Distortion with upgrades as discussed.

The spec is:

• Looks like a good build but I only have a few criticisms

(1) that power supply sounds dirt cheap. So much other expensive hardware is relying on reliable voltage from your PSU. cheap power supplies do a poor job delivering a consistent voltage over a variety of load or household AC conditions and also keeping the lines free of noise. I've used cheap power supplies in the past and have had them die early due to burning out a 12V rail because they do not load balance between rails, or a few too many brownouts or spikes, or busted motherboard capacitors which took too much abuse due to the quality of the incoming power.

Spend the extra money and get an intelligent PSU. I have a Corsair RM800i
    The RMi series are very good quality. Other brands have intelligent power supplies as well. Check newegg and look at a few and study the feedback. If you don't mind spending an extra $100 on a PSU, then do it. Your system will last longer and be happier.

(2) This is kind of a moot point for many but since I have a dedicated GPU card, i see no point having a CPU with an integrated GPU. Its wasted die space that could be used for more cores. When I built my PC more than a year ago now, i went with a Xeon processor instead of the mainstream line. Xeon's are not super ridiculously expensive anymore but you can get a processor with 6 cores (12 threads) for a little more money than a quad core ( 8 threads) with an gpu built in that you'll never use. Now Xeons for 7th gen core processors just came out this January. But I assume that the fact that you're going for an i7 processor tells me that you do more with computers than just play games so for me the extra two cores (4 extra threads) is well worth it. Looks Xeon now shares the same socket type as the consumer series so that simplifies motherboard hunting probably but still check with the motherboard manufacturer to see if both processor series are supported.

(3) Unless Seagate has redeemed themselves, I wouldn't buy anything from them.. I've heard plenty of negative reviews of hardware failure or bad customer service. Consider Western Digital. They're slightly more expensive but considering how dirt cheap mechanical storage is nowadays its negligible.

(4) is that Samsung Evo in M.2 form factor with a PCI-e 4x bus? M.2 drives are finally dropping in price. SATAIII bus is limited to 500MB/s but the PCI-E 4x bus(in M.2 form factor) lets you run SSD drives up to commonly 2500MB/s (maybe higher is possible but the price would be stupid crazy). I can get a 500GB M.2 drive that fast for about $200 last I checked. The cheaper M.2 drives are about as fast as 500MB/s like the SATAIII bus even though they're usin an PCI-e 4x bus.

• Hi Zfoxfire, Ty for taking time to look at my specs and to comment much appreciated.. Firstly you are so correct on myself doing other things than play games.. I do alot of video editing/graphics ect my main passion.
    TBH im not clued up on specs i have no idea about what is best ect, All i know is the Graphic card has to be top notch for me.as of my editing ect,And of course memory blah blah..... i will deffently research some of the points you have mentioned I.E the power supply. the other points you have mentioned is a tad over my head lol i have no idea where or how to begin sorting them out but i will defenatly look into them.... You've been a GR8 help TY x

• Don't worry. it took me a few months of research (and several headaches) before I finally built my current machine. When you build a computer once every 7 years, almost all the standards change it seems :(

BTW, I think video editing is more of a CPU intensive process. bur if you have a good cpu and a good gpu and loads of memory (memory is cheap nowadays). then you'll be fine.

If you have any specific questions then feel free to PM me. The important thing when building a machine is to reduce bottlenecks. For example, hard drives used to always be the bottleneck of system performance (and optical drives before that). the M.2 is the first major jump in hard drive speed in the last few years. Going from mechanical to ssd sata doubled speeds but now going to M.2 is almost 10 times increase. anything to reduce latency is good.

Speaking of, when you buy memory, check the latency times (eg. 7-7-7-4 ) or something similar. go for a matched set with the lowest numbers possible. The memory will come bundled. e.g. 32 GB across a set of 4 sticks. Paired memory offers best performance since they're bundled at the factory so they're guaranteed to have matching performance. Compared to just simply adding 4 individual memory sticks into your shopping cart in which case the slowest memory stick is your bottle neck.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!