Use Map Markers With Compass

• After getting crazy lost in the game yesterday, and screwing myself up by sleeping the night away in someone else's shelter, I had a vision.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could click on a map marker and have the option to have the compass indicate the direction to that point?

Too un-natural? Maybe require second tier compass or GPS tool? Anything that would link the map markers to a directional device would be most useful. 8)

• Quote from Miwarre

you can already do exactly that with the GPS way points

'Tis an excellent plugin, Miwarre, but with my sluggish mental abilities I find it easier to leave the compass open and follow a pointer when running at bear speed through a dark forest than to try to interpret numbers as I go. :D

Also, the compass updates even if you're standing still and just turning your head. Any intentions to make GPS do the same thing? It appears that you update on the changedBlockPosition event, prolly to lower the burden on the server. From my own experience with updating minor things on a frequent basis, it isn't as much of a burden as it might seem to use the updateEvent, especially if you just do a simple count compare and only take action on like, every 10th one or so.

Gawd. Look who I'm giving advice to. 8| The plugin master himself.

I am not worthy.

• I find it easier to leave the compass open and follow a pointer when running at bear speed through a dark forest than to try to interpret numbers as I go. :D
    Also, the compass updates even if you're standing still and just turning your head. Any intentions to make GPS do the same thing? It appears that you update on the changedBlockPosition event, prolly to lower the burden on the server. From my own experience with updating minor things on a frequent basis, it isn't as much of a burden as it might seem to use the updateEvent, especially if you just do a simple count compare and only take action on like, every 10th one or so.

Thanks for the compliments! In fact the GPS shows pointers to the left or to the right of "Home" and of the WP name (if shown) to show if you have to turn left or right to face them. I use to keep an eye on them when flying at full speed toward a point and 'steer' accordingly, ignoring the numbers and any calculation (the display is inspired by the kind of flight computer used on aircraft, as I have worked in the flight simulation field for years).

The GPS data text is updated at the PlayerChangePositionEvent, which is triggered by an actual change in position, but also by a change in orientation only if NOT flying.

Moving to the UpdateEvent might be a good move, but the amount of code executed for each movement of each player on a server is not trivial and the load on the server might be noticeable. I'll could make a try, though.

Thanks!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!