World Generation Mix-and-mash

• This one really spooked me with how imposing the pineforest appears in the desert biome. I turned the corner of my new structure to find that the desert now has pineforest, something that caught me offguard. It spooked me that I'm now seeing what may be an old world generation meshing with the new one that only the new-old chunks that you interacted with have stayed. The bit around my spawn (Mountain Bowl) is normal, yet when you get further out to the 0.8.2 chunks with pyramids and such (the bit where biomes were modified) everything just flipped out.

I'm thankful the surface dungeons are back, yet the older world generation seems to be over-riding any untouched landmass by converting it back into the old world generation. I'm at a loss as to what happened, or if any conversion failed. It's now preventing me, and others, from playing on the main server that I'm now cursing I didn't back up the world.

Image 1: The view outside my new workshop & storage tower

Image 2: the pyramid that was overwritten by another, now found in what may be the original lake of the first world generation of the ocean & lakes. My desert was originally a hybrid of a lake and a pine forest.

Image 3: Alternate view of #1 where the pyramid was threatened to be wiped out by pine trees. Even the empty part above the farm has a single tree where I was to place a farm house to store supplies.

Image 4: My pineforest (new chunk) still remains as it becomes a road through an ocean that was originally there.

Image 5: Same as above, but with my campground I was trying to build up using planks, beams, and such.

Any way this world can be rescued? It seems to have suffered the same fate as Foxbox that I'd love to fix it ASAP so Harv could jump on to play on it. This ruined his weekend.

• That's really strange =O It looks like the biomes could not be read properly... did you maybe delete any files in your world folder (or more precisely, in the worldParts folder)? The Foxbox server has the same issue? 8|

• Hold on a sec @ArcticKitsu I thought I clarified this with you already. Perhaps you forgot to edit this post. But the Foxbox server has not suffered any fate. My problem was easy rectified by restoring from a full backup I made of the world prior to the 0.8.2.1 update and restarting the server to allow the world conversion script to take its course. I caused the problem initially because I was not as familiar as I thought I was with how the game was stored so I ended up wiping worldpart files because I thought it was duplicate of what is stored in the mysql database. I was incorrect.

What is happend to you is similar but not because you goofed, unless you dug into the worldpart files and deleted stuff. You have wrong biome chunks on the sides of modified areas (e.g. the chunks beyond each side of the path going through the grass) so I suspect your bp files are missing for that world part. pull up F3 and you'll find the worldpart number you are in. then check your Worlds/{servername}/worldparts folder to make sure you have a bp file matching those numbers. If its missing, that's the root cause. you'll have to recover those from backup and restart the server.

The wp files and bp files combined with the change data in the sql database are used to figure out how to draw the world whenever the world generation algorithm changes (which happened in 0.8.2 since biomes were re-organized). What happened to my server was that since the wp files were missing, it rendered in world parts using the new algorithm with construction and terrain alterations (from the sql files) ontop which causes nasty results.

Since you have a rented game server, I have no clue what their backup strategies are. Mine is a barebones vm where i installed Linux myself and configured everything manually to my liking so I have full control over configuration and backup strategies. If you have a full backup tarball file sitting in your game files then you might want to shut down the server and recover to the last version. I presume the backup files are full copies of the Worlds folder (which contains the worldparts, biomeparts, and the sql database). If that doesn't recover your issue then either some files are missing or its a bug.

@red51 please correct me if i'm wrong about any of this.

• I didn't delete anything. I didn't touch anything, plus I have no time to really mess with the files. I didn't even get to add in the loading icon. It just happened when you pushed out a new update with the paper press variations and such.

--------

Alright, sent you the information to take a peek at it hoping that it's the right set of information. (Red51). You should be able to whitelist yourself + make a map & etc. I'll be back around 11 pm est so we'll see what happens between now & then.

• I will check out what's going on there. It's really strange, but another server had the same issue. Since you neither deleted anything nor skipped the world conversion, it's definitely not your fault, so most likely this is caused by the world conversion of the latest hotfix (the dungeon world conversion is really causing a headache to me now^^).

I'm confident that this issue is resolvable, I recommend to not touch the broken parts (or in other words, every chunk you modify now will be stored in the world database, so even if another update fixes this issue, the stored chunks will still be the same).

Maybe you can send me some world coordinates, this makes it easier for me to find the broken spots on the map :D

• The issue is basically fixed now, probably there will be an update available on Sunday or Monday (still have to get some minor issues sorted out) :) This update is going to convert the servers and fix the broken parts of the world. Thanks @ArcticuKitsu and @zfoxfire for the feedback on this issue ;)

• Nice! This is awesome news that it's making me happy to have Red51 at the helm of this game. Don't allow this game to drive you mad, yet that form of perfection is something I can relate & admire. For both us do hope nothing else spawns from that issue because it truly does become bothersome haha.

Thanks again, and shall tell you how it is late at night roughly around the same time as tonight's reply heh.

• Many thanks! This has been squished & fixed! Nice! Also, I think I heard that new BGM playing that it sounds quite 'Stonehearth' manner. Something you'd expect to hear in that game. That, and the tears in the world have been mostly fixed by both rake & dynamite. I had to wake up the nearby sleeping voxels that it only responds to dynamite while using the rake to raise & lower the two rips into one another.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!