Hacking and rcon

• Hello All,

One thing I really like about Rising World is the type of people it gathers. This game seems to appeal to the "older" more settled into gaming type. I played 3000 hours on Rust and had to put up with script kiddies always hacking the server breaking things it was just the way of life.

Not Rising the world I use to think, the past couple weeks changed my mind. ;(
    For whatever reason, someone has decided that they need to hack my server. The first time they hacked rcon, my bad I had several Admins and I did not change the password. After that, I changed the password on rcon and the server control panel. Today I was hacked again they hijacked my IP and I am not sure why? All I want to do is run a gaming server so people can come and play RW free of charge and hassle. ?(

I am not sure what I did to offend this person ?( but if they are reading this I am sorry. But if I don't know what I did, I cannot fix it. If others think it is not personal, I believe it is. The first time they used rcon called me a lousy admin and a couple other words I do not allow on my server. I was really hoping they would reveal themselves so I could really talk to them but no luck. This should be read as a cautionary tale and hopefully, other servers will not have this issue. Or if they did they can come forward and maybe somehow guard against hacking.

My hosting company is working with me to track down the IP where this originate not sure if they will have any luck though. This was pretty good they were able to get in stop the log and after that who knows?

DEATH AND DESTRUCTION PVP
    192.154.229.151:4255

• I'm sorry to hear that :( Hackers are a pest, but I'm afraid there is always a chance to run into these issues... the only thing you can do is to use a safe password and a different rcon port (but ofc this doesn't help if one of the admins isn't trustworthy and abuses his rcon access).
    If we were living in a perfect world it wouldn't even be necessary to use things like the AreaProtection script etc. :|

What do you mean exactly with "they hijacked your IP"? Did they hijack your dedicated server (not the RW server, but the whole machine instead)? Unfortunately this happens all the time (this isn't really related to Rising World at all)... once you have a server up and running, people (and especially bots) tirelessly try to gain access (that's why it's extremely important to use safe password and keep the server up-to-date).

• I rent the server and do not have access to do updates etc. It is running on a Linux server.
    On the hijack IP i get this message I think this is when it started
    WARNING: Error while sending ping to hive (1): HTTP Error: Bad Gateway [Code:502]
    I could not get into web console to check the game. when this started java.net.BindException: Address already in use.
    When I pinged it I got crazy returns up in the thousands
    On my password I used capital P so that is safe right? :D:D

DEATH AND DESTRUCTION PVP
    192.154.229.151:4255

• On the hijack IP i get this message I think this is when it started
    WARNING: Error while sending ping to hive (1): HTTP Error: Bad Gateway [Code:502]

This is nothing to worry about. The server sends a ping message every minute to the hive, in this case, the ping failed (but that doesn't matter). Only if the ping fails ten times, the server will be removed from the server list (until it restarts).

when this started java.net.BindException: Address already in use

The "Address already in use" message just indicates that another application is already running on the server port (i.e. the port is already in use). Most likely it's the game server which still runs in the background (or something like this).

• What ports can I use for rcon?

It's up to you, just make sure the port isn't in use (e.g. if the server uses port 4255, it also uses 4254, 4256, 4257 and 4258, so you can't use these ports for rcon).
    If this is a game server, the server hoster maybe assigns a specific rcon port to you.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!