Will the view distance ever have an option to be even further?

• Hello. Basically what I mean is, currently we can't see our builds from a very long distance away, at least I don't think the same long distance as the horizon, even at max chunk viewing distance. I understand there may be performance issues with increasing the limit, but in the future, will we get the option to increase the chunk view distance even further, and the ability to view our builds from farther away?

• In short, yes. Red even posted some screenshots of super far rendering that he was experimenting with. The draw distance was probably 2 or 3 times the distance. He said it caused performance issues so it probably needs an extra "level of detail" (currently there are only two) for super far. I hope he can pull off the type of distance rendering you see in 7D2D. I wish I had the link to share. it was onSteam somewhere. but here is a sample

• In short, yes. Red even posted some screenshots of super far rendering that he was experimenting with. The draw distance was probably 2 or 3 times the distance. He said it caused performance issues so it probably needs an extra "level of detail" (currently there are only two) for super far. I hope he can pull off the type of distance rendering you see in 7D2D. I wish I had the link to share. it was onSteam somewhere. but here is a sample

That looks great. I have a good computer, but hopefully that large view distance could be optimized.

• If you notice, looks like a beach on one side and a desert on the other. Definately would be nice to be able to look over the world from a summit point.

Anyways, I am more in anticipation for these new player models and the new Continent world type. I hope we get some player model previews soon.

• Yeah, I can't wait for this to happen because I also did mention 7 Days to Die of thing. 'Stranded Deep' seems to go around this by using the 'billboarding' technique, yet not sure how far you can see things. Glad to see Red51 fiddling with this hoping we'll get something out of this in the future. My setting is at 51/21, or something like that for distance & viewing. I forgot exactly, yet remember it was something like 51/21 where I feel it's the best viewed. I can't wait, yet shall be sweet when it's pushed out.

• Yeah, player models, new animations, new survival content is all what I'm looking forward to short term. For long term it would definitely be view distance, especially if we'll be able to see buildings in the distance as well. Imagine climbing a mountain and spotting a ruined town way off in the distance, or a herd of deer or something.

• Yup! I'd rather have more beautified worlds first. Long Distance can wait, especially since we have a map to use now. I'm looking forward to waterfalls as well, or just moving water in general.

• Love to have better draw distance, but a zoom out option on the map is also on my wishlist. My building is almost taking half of my map lol. So its a bit weard to stand in the entrance and u cant see the other end, just the foggy landscape behind it.

Also didnt red tell he was going to adjust the world rendering to have more smooth worlds?

• I wonder also if in the future Red can make it so that fog doesn't go through blocks.

I believe there was a plan for that to happen. He was eventually planning to get rid of fog in buildings that I wouldn't mind that happening. Not sure if we'll also see lightning strikes with storms, but having fog removed, even not hearing water steps underground is something that I'm hoping shall be looked at after the next major update. Maybe even after the horses update.

• speaking of render distance... A16 recently came out for 7 days to die. I thought the view distance on A15 was impressive till I saw A16. It must create low-level details for greater distances or render-once static backgrounds. In any case, you can see easily towns and cities that are very far off.

• I don't know if this helps or not, but I changed the number of blocks I can see in the game by using the number of blocks being viewed -in the settings menu. I changed it from 15 to 20 and it extended my viewing range nicely. Going higher than that resulted in lag. But, we are still not optimized so I'm guessing it may increase as the game keeps progressing. Remarkably well imo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!