• I"m having to wonder deeply about oil because it'll be a "big thing" for Rising World..... What we do know is that Rising World shall allow us to progress from Medieval era to Modern era, thus why the eras mix currently. Oil is also supposed to be found in the desert biomes (mainly, for now), that I have to wonder just how much there'll be in a world.

Think about having oil in Rising World, and how you'll use it and etc.

• How much oil shall be in a desert biome on average
    • What shall be our average consumption rate to reliably rely on converted oil into fuel.
    • When we run out, then what? Can we have vanilla NPCs that sell us oil to keep the supply going.... regardless of realism. Once oil is out, it's out...You'd need to either switch back to horses, go to electric, or rely on NPCs for a constant supply of oil to convert into fuel sources.

Yeah.....I wonder if there's a way to make it so oil would regenerate in the desert biome by lining the oil in some specific solid desert stone lining, or something. Even expanding it into other biomes, and such. It makes one wonder. You'd be using the fuel for generators, cars, trains, and even tools... Maybe on tools. Electric gas/diesel generators.

We'll eventually have to rely on going 'sugar cane' ethanol, or even going pure electric (Tesla) style.

• oh i just see this thread right now... i mind that in: where is the update. But youre absolutly right. maybe as some kind of gushers. oil for machines and tools... a chainsaw or something that helps you in your quarry...

• Oil should never be considered a renewable resource... Well, technically it is renewable but over an extremely long and impractical period of time. ;-p

Ofcourse, the world is infinite so just walk out further and find more oil or ores. So for the scope of this, game everything is already unlimited but I don't like the idea of resources randomly respawning without being seeded by some realistic method.

Like in the real world, oil cannot sustain a modern industrial civilization but since our species existence is but a brief moment in the history of this planet, it makes sense that there is plenty of oil for now. Eventually we need to transition beyond a dirty industrial period to get to a cleaner green period. Like now, hydro, geothermal, solar, wind, and algae are probably the way to go in the long-run. Will nuclear and natural gas be a thing in the interm? Not sure what's planned but it would be interesting if some radioactive ores existed in the game. I wonder if cows and composting might lead to natural gas capture.

Edit: Just noticed your comment on ethanol @ArcticuKitsu.. Yes. that would be cool too. with corn being a thing. that would offer a good alternative to oil and gas, albeit less efficient but more renewable.

Here's the progression i see:

Stone -> bronze -> iron -> steam industrial -> oil industrial -> high tech -> green tech

• oh i just see this thread right now... i mind that in: where is the update. But youre absolutly right. maybe as some kind of gushers. oil for machines and tools... a chainsaw or something that helps you in your quarry...

Update is still in the works that it may be time to poke Red51 again. It's fine to have quality, yet there should be a limit to how picky one should get as long as everything runs smoothly. I'm gradually siding with the trolls.

Gushers would work, yes. Oil would indeed be used for machines, tools, as well as lanterns, and etc. Maybe even plastics. A chainsaw for wood works + jackhammer for mining a quarry.

running out of oil? if oil wouldgenerate in every desert biome, it would be nearly impossible to run out of it.

Well, need to consider that (for now) they would only be in deserts that we'd have to stay within the 10,000x10,000 limit because anything past that is unstable map wise. You can travel post 10,000x10,000, yet the map gradually becomes more unstable the further out you go that I'm hoping it'll get fixed for any newer map generation related additions.

My buddy, 'Nas' was also wondering if it was just the desert that if it would expend into other biomes. If we would have oil in oceans for oil rig options, and etc.

----

Also, that's a nice hefty posting there Fox. A nice food for thought to process. I"m pleased to see we're near the same page on things that I can also happily make a corn farm to make eco-friendly vehicles for the long term once we get there.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!